Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, David W said:

The Astra Zeneca chief executive is claiming the latest data shows they know how to administer their vaccine to be as effective as the Pfizer and Moderna ones.

It's going to be up the arse isn't it. 

The Astra Zeneca chief executive is claiming the latest data shows they know how to administer their vaccine to be as effective as the Pfizer and Moderna ones.

Superb.

Now just to get it approved and injected into every c**t as quick as possible.

Welshy's unwavering determination to shout down any criticism of the SG is impressive tbh.

For Freeman's claim to be possible, we'd need to have been vaccinating 125,000 people per week over an 8 week period. That's around 6.5 times as many per week than we have been doing so far, and doesn't factor in the need to also administer the second dose. Now that we've seen how it's gone it was a frankly ludicrous claim, that deserves to be called such.

I will assume, however, that Freeman must have been aware of the numbers that getting to 1m would entail, and therefore the SG must be confident that they have the capacity to administer 125,000 per week if the supplies (most likely the oxford one) are there. This, based on the oxford vaccine being available at the start of January, would allow around 1.5m to be done by the end of March.

Welshy's unwavering determination to shout down any criticism of the SG is impressive tbh.
For Freeman's claim to be possible, we'd need to have been vaccinating 125,000 people per week over an 8 week period. That's around 6.5 times as many per week than we have been doing so far, and doesn't factor in the need to also administer the second dose. Now that we've seen how it's gone it was a frankly ludicrous claim, that deserves to be called such.
I will assume, however, that Freeman must have been aware of the numbers that getting to 1m would entail, and therefore the SG must be confident that they have the capacity to administer 125,000 per week if the supplies (most likely the oxford one) are there. This, based on the oxford vaccine being available at the start of January, would allow around 1.5m to be done by the end of March.

I think they’ve been given assumption that the Oxford vaccine approval is imminent otherwise they wouldn’t have said that figure.

On the other hand, she’s stepping down in May and probably no longer gives a f**k.

We’ll find out in 4 weeks.

I see in "Today in Fuckwits on the Internet", we're talking bollocks about deaths of people under 60 with underlying conditions.

Of those in that group, 27% had diabetes, a condition which is perfectly manageable for the vast majority. 3.9 million people in the UK have diabetes.

It doesn't take a genius to work out the wee flaw in their thinking. If you could call it that...

8 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

In what way is a speed limit targeted at "the most vulnerable people"?

You've had a few before posting that?

Did they not have an ad campaign a few years ago where they said that the chances of a child surviving being hit by a car increased if the speed limit went from 30 to 20. Or maybe 40 to 30. I can't remember but it was a creepy ad. 

36 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I see in "Today in Fuckwits on the Internet", we're talking bollocks about deaths of people under 60 with underlying conditions.

Of those in that group, 27% had diabetes, a condition which is perfectly manageable for the vast majority. 3.9 million people in the UK have diabetes.

It doesn't take a genius to work out the wee flaw in their thinking. If you could call it that...

It's quite clearly not 'perfectly manageable' when any sort of seasonal virus rocking up puts you at an enhanced risk of serious illness - hence why they get offered the flu vaccine every year - and the vast majority of that 3.9 million have the condition through lifestyle choices. Including one of my uncles who yeah, really shouldn't have tanned nine pints of Guinness and a fish supper as a weekly routine while doing zero exercise for twenty years.

The real 'infantile nonsense' in the debate is i) the insistence that chronic ill-health is something that only ever falls on helpless, unfortunate 'victims' in the sick man of Europe society and ii) the refusal to convert the perfectly obvious and vastly different risk profiles into different policies for healthy/not actually healthy segments of the population in the middle of a pandemic. 

Pretending that everyone is at equal risk and only community-wide suppression can protect vulnerable groups has produced one of the top two largest death tolls in the whole of Europe and one of the deepest economic slumps. It couldn't even stop Covid from romping through care homes FFS.

Edited by vikingTON

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Including one of my uncles who yeah, really shouldn't have tanned nine pints of Guinness and a fish supper as a weekly routine while doing zero exercise for twenty years.

Once a week, that's  not bad...is it?

You're  entitled to a treat surely? Fish is good for you.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It's legitimately terrifying how quickly a populace can be conditioned into buying into this as 'the new normal'. 

Someone such as myself, always very left leaning, never voted any party other than SNP, simply does not buy into this ethos of blindly nodding and going 'oh well, them's the rules'. I've always said on here, restrictions are begrudgingly fine as long as they are a) strictly temporary and b) there is an end game. 

Now the vaccine is apparently the end game but people are seemingly happy enough for us to kick the can down the road indefinitely and going 'it will take more time' at a point where really hard questions should be getting asked. Why was 1m vaccines lauded by the end of January but thrown out and quickly reneged on? What is the time scale now? If there are delays, why are there delays and what is being down to resolve? 

I always have believed that a party's harshest critics should not be people who vote for opposing parties but be those people who have given their support for and entrusted their vote to a party. There is not a lot I've seen from the SGs response to this in the past several days and weeks that has made me particularly confident of where I'd place my vote in future or, more likely, if I'd even place one at all. 

I think as well as a large compliant section of the population, there's a pretty significant group who are switched on but feel to criticize the restrictions at all is to be a Larry Fox/Nigel Farage "masks are for cucks, we won't be controlled, have 20 people round the house and give them a big hug" wankers, which isn't really the case

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Granted it's the Mail on Sunday which is of course, a fucking shit rag, but today they are reporting that 15 million is the magic number in terms of vaccines given.

Why there isnt more focus in this in both UK and Scotland terms I dont know. Once again something that should be getting pressed hard at FMQs on a daily basis. Drop the ideological, emotional bullying about how one death is too many, and tell us what the number is that tips the balance of protection offered vs price of restrictions.

Being reported in a few places this morning that the UK has a target to vaccinate 15 million people by the end of February and that could be enough to see a significant lift in restrictions.

Based on the past few months, I'll believe it when I see it. However, hopefully we're now getting to a point where there can start being serious discussions about the need for less restrictions rather than more.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Granted it's the Mail on Sunday which is of course, a fucking shit rag, but today they are reporting that 15 million is the magic number in terms of vaccines given.

Why there isnt more focus in this in both UK and Scotland terms I dont know. Once again something that should be getting pressed hard at FMQs on a daily basis. Drop the ideological, emotional bullying about how one death is too many, and tell us what the number is that tips the balance of protection offered vs price of restrictions.

That's the key question.

Most sectors of the press have given the UK and devolved governments and exceptionally easy time over this. Seemingly focussing more energy on why and where individuals aren't wearing masks than they are on the actual questions they need to be asking to get us all out of this.

I fully understand that there was little point in doing so in the development stage of the vaccines but we do now have an end game, we do have a point of focus - the cry for 'more patience' to the general population should well and truly be falling on deaf ears. People afforded them a lot of patience and a massive sacrifice of health, happiness and finance for the entire of 2020 in the expectation that some sort of coherent strategy would be drawn up and they fucking dithered and squandered it, leaving us almost exactly at the same point as we were in March.

Why should we, once again, give them time and patience to trust they'll get the rollout correct given that we know what they do with a bit of time an patience on their hands? They squandered an overwhelming amount of goodwill from people the first time round, so the pressure should fully be on them. People have every right to be losing patience.

Edited by djchapsticks

That's the key question.
Most sectors of the press have given the UK and devolved governments and exceptionally easy time over this. Seemingly focussing more energy on why and where individuals aren't wearing masks than they are on the actual questions they need to be asking to get us all out of this.
I fully understand that there was little point in doing so in the development stage of the vaccines but we do now have an end game, we do have a point of focus - the cry for 'more patience' to the general population should well and truly be falling on deaf ears. People afforded them a lot of patience and a massive sacrifice of health, happiness and finance for the entire of 2020 in the expectation that some sort of coherent strategy would be drawn up and they fucking dithered and squandered it, leaving us almost exactly at the same point as we were in March.
Why should we, once again, give them time and patience to trust they'll get the rollout correct given that we know what they do with a bit of time an patience on their hands? They squandered an overwhelming amount of goodwill from people the first time round, so the pressure should fully be on them. People have every right to be losing patience.
Agree with all of this.

I'd like to add because I just remembered, for those who think Nicola Sturgeon/Leitch etc are simply using cautious language etc... Let's not forget the way Sturgeon threw the travel industry onto the bonfire for 2021 in the immediate wake of vaccine approval.

Someone said they are way too comfortable doling out restrictions. I am becoming inclined to agree and the current pre emptive measures aswell as pretty drastic and potentially damaging words of caution aimed at a summer fully 6 months away, theres growing evidence of this.

Bearing in mind as has been pointed out numerous times, this started off as "protect the NHS, flatten the curve" etc. I distinctly remember Nicola Sturgeon herself saying she wouldnt keep restrictions a second longer than absolutely neccessary. I think we are now a long way from that mantra.