Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Pretty grim reading in the Herald on the mental impact of the pandemic.

The NRS data also shows that deaths by self-harm and assault have increased steadily during 2020, compared to previous years.

In the first quarter of 2020, from January to March, there were 201 deaths in this category - up 4% on the five-year average.

However, this increased to 14% more than average with 226 deaths between April and June, and 23% above average with 255 deaths between July and September.

Clicky

I'm absolutely not one of these "SOOICIDE RATES ARE INCREESING BY 9 MILLION PERCENT SHARE TO END LOCKDOWN #KBF" types, but I seriously worry about the impact the last year has had on people mentally.

At the start of lockdown I was in the best place I've been in for years. By September I felt as low as I'd felt since school and (as I mentioned earlier on this thread) was starting to show almost every single sign of having a serious problem with anxiety. In that time I've thankfully still kept my job (which I enjoy) but if I'd lost that when the company was making people redundant over the summer then I really don't know how I would've coped. And I've got a great support network around me.

If it's had that sort of impact on me and I started the year in a good place, then I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it will have been for folk who were already facing challenges.

I feel like we won't see the true impact of lockdown on mental health for another 18 months or so at least. It seems like the Government(s) are quite content to acknowledge there will be an issue - but kick it down the road and hope for the best. 

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The key take for me is :

“I don’t believe we have the evidence on any of the vaccines to be confident that it’s going to prevent people from actually getting the infection and therefore being able to pass it on,” Swaminathan said. “So I think we need to assume that people who have been vaccinated also need to take the same precautions.”

Lost my sense of taste and smell last night. Nose feels bunged up so I booked a test. Just back from it there. I take it its normal for them to leave you to it and to swab yourself? 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Lost my sense of taste and smell last night. Nose feels bunged up so I booked a test. Just back from it there. I take it its normal for them to leave you to it and to swab yourself? 

At the drive through ones yes. 

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, was the same in Alloa when I got my test. I thought it was going to be someone else doing it, but I don't think they have the numbers/time to do it that way

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Dentist imo

20201229_100636.jpg

Genuinely f**k that.

It won't matter one jot what they say once folk have been vaccinated I think the very most you could get folk to keep doing is wearing a mask in busy indoor spaces.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

Genuinely f**k that.

It won't matter one jot what they say once folk have been vaccinated I think the very most you could get folk to keep doing is wearing a mask in busy indoor spaces.

Yeah I actually agree 

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

Genuinely f**k that.

Social distancing dosnt happen

Masks do get worn by many. Being busy has resulted in my work to be fucked. Has taken until the week of Xmas for staff wise to collapse in big numbers. 

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Dentist imo

20201229_100636.jpg

Not going to happen, not under any circumstances.

Especially when her compatriot is saying this, further up the article:

image.png.c6e69f4303f647d3396f8bf8a45d03ce.png

A 'very-low' level threat does not, should not and will not equate to 'taking the same precautions' that we are currently taking.

The long-term future of this virus is that it's severity will be severely reduced as a result of vaccinations and it will be absorbed into daily life as something that like flu, like chest infections, you are aware of and want to avoid catching in winter.

The thought of 'continued restrictions' for such a low-level threat that has an effective vaccine is fucking laughable. So laughable that if it was truly viable, we should have already been living with these restrictions for hundreds of years during flu seasons but clearly don't.

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Didn't think so. Did you go to the one at the back of Eden Court?

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not going to happen, not under any circumstances.

Especially when her compatriot is saying this, further up the article:

image.png.c6e69f4303f647d3396f8bf8a45d03ce.png

A 'very-low' level threat does not, should not and will not equate to 'taking the same precautions' that we are currently taking.

The long-term future of this virus is that it's severity will be severely reduced as a result of vaccinations and it will be absorbed into daily life as something that like flu, like chest infections, you are aware of and want to avoid catching in winter.

The thought of 'continued restrictions' for such a low-level threat that has an effective vaccine is fucking laughable. So laughable that if it was truly viable, we should have already been living with these restrictions for hundreds of years during flu seasons but clearly don't.

I suppose it hinges on what you believe "tools to save lives" and "good public health" means. 

Fwiw I agree that it's an impossible sell to continue with restrictions as is much past the point of mass vaccination (and data that shows the vaccines behave as hoped), however long that takes. 

I'm just tongue-in-cheek pointing out that this doesn't seem to solely be the view of some rogue desperate to boost his profile dentist, but that a number of people in the public health and scientific communities feel this way. 

Edited by madwullie