Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I do see it as a failure of scotgov not to shut off England, when cases bottomed out here. Which looks worse now it's been done later on. But at least they're learning.

Also was surprised, Scotland joined in with the delayed second dose. But again suspect some pressure from Westminster on it. Disappointed there wasn't some push back on that.

Just now, Juanhourjoe said:

I do see it as a failure of scotgov not to shut off England, when cases bottomed out here. Which looks worse now it's been done later on. But at least they're learning.

Also was surprised, Scotland joined in with the delayed second dose. But again suspect some pressure from Westminster on it. Disappointed there wasn't some push back on that.

I thought the arguments that I saw for the delayed second dose made sense.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Aye maybe. Although maybe an unnecessary risk to take. Most of the scientific community commenting on it I heard we're saying, there was no evidence that it would work. Just a stab at something from the government.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Medically I'm not convinced, and neither are the BMJ in Scotland, but I did see some doctor on twitter explaining it made sense in terms of the larger numbers of people having some protection would lead to less serious illness & deaths than the smaller number of people having higher protection from two doses. The only problem I see with it is that the level of protection from the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is a bit unclear, with the half dose/full dose working better than the two full doses, and whether the timings have anything to do with it. 

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you think the resource is available or that it would be legal to stop all traffic and other transport?

It needs public compliance too, and it also needs the UK Gov to stop being so arsey about it. So yeah, there are problems with making it work. 

The big problem is that even though people are pointing to Australia as a success and model to follow (for obvious reasons), there's still the same kind of people moaning about lockdowns and the state of the economy in Oz as there is here. Maybe just not as many of them.

Edited by s_dog

Just now, s_dog said:

It needs public compliance too, and it also needs the UK Gov to stop being so arsey about it. So yeah, there are problems with making it work. 

The big problem is that even though people are pointing to Australia as a success and model to follow (for obvious reasons), there's still the same kind of people moaning about lockdowns and the state of the economy as there is here. Maybe just not as many of them.

In an ideal world the more you can isolate the better. I understand how that's impractical in Scotland @Juanhourjoeseems to think the Government could have enforced border control, I'm not convinced that's practical or legal.

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The royal college of obstetricians actually says that the vaccine is safe for pregnant women and they should get it if the benefits outweigh the risk (ie front line health and care workers), that said some midwifes are telling patients not to get the vaccine.
The only contraindication for people with immuno compromised people to be cautious getting the vaccine is for 1 single drug retuxomab (sic) and even then its still safe to be vaccinated the GP just has to manage when its given. 

The Scottish government leaflet that arrived through the door this week, dated something like 5th January, said that it wasn't recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women. I presume it was put together before the advice changed, but you can understand the confusion.

I'm not saying people set up right on the border checking every vehicle. But putting it into law I would assume keeps the numbers low. And a couple of traffic cops can take a drive along border roads throughout the day. And stop any car they see on a quiet road. Nice big fine as well if you don't have a good reason to be out. I don't see why any trains should be running either.

Edited by Juanhourjoe

45 minutes ago, Binos said:

Are Israel not just about finished already

About 20% depending on who's doing the counting.

Controversially, Israel’s vaccine campaign does not include the five million Palestinians who live under its control in the occupied West Bank and the blockaded Gaza Strip. Meanwhile, Israel is providing vaccinations to residents of the illegal Jewish settlements that dot the West Bank.

Israel says health care in the Palestinian territories is a responsibility of the semi-autonomous Palestinian Authority. Human-rights groups, including Rabbis for Human Rights, have called on Israel to share its vaccine supply with the Palestinians, something Israel has said it might do once its own population is vaccinated.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-netanyahu-revels-in-israels-coronavirus-vaccine-successes-though-the/?utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links