Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Again that's nonsense mate, not one of us alive has ever seen significantly more dangerous working conditions than Covid. Never before could a colleague walking five feet away from you kill you. That's just drivel.

There's still a few ex-miners alive..

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55616153

It's been a shambles across the board for MS Teams today.

ETA: Takes a good 20-30 minutes to upload a single attachment, then kids still can't access the files, work is disappearing. Just a shambles that's clearly been brought about because just about every single teacher in the country is trying to upload work and the kids are all on the server looking for an update as to what is going on.

It will obviously improve over the coming days.

MS Teams is pretty shite. We use it for our virtual meetings and it's fine until you actually want to share a document or something. Pair that up with the shambles that is often local authority IT provision and it's going to be a clusterfuck. 

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Just to add on to my previous post. I read a 6 year old girl died because her cancer treatment was stopped due to the covid situation. Why are people accepting “covid above all illnesses”. People killing themselves because they’re struggling mentally, people dying because their treatments are being stopped or appointments cancelled, yet that’s fine. I despair 

As has been mentioned before, cancer treatment when stopped is because the oncologist has decided that catching the virus is more dangerous to the patient than not having treatment. This is because of covid, not because of lockdown. 

It is possible too that staff have had to move from cancer care to hospital to deal with covid patients - again, because of covid, not lockdown. 

The idea that people are being denied treatment because of lockdown is incorrect. 

Edit: this doesn't mean that some cancer diagnoses aren't being missed because of lockdown, but that's not what you've described above. 

Edited by madwullie

Really, can you point out for us which year saw 80 thousand people fall to their deaths at work?

Can you point out for us how many of the people dead from Covid contracted it at work? Bearing in mind the demographic which has been joining the choir invisible at the greatest rate?

MS Teams is pretty shite. We use it for our virtual meetings and it's fine until you actually want to share a document or something. Pair that up with the shambles that is often local authority IT provision and it's going to be a clusterfuck. 
The reason we're using Teams is because Google Classroom is even worse.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Can you point out for us how many of the people dead from Covid contracted it at work? Bearing in mind the demographic which has been joining the choir invisible at the greatest rate?

Are you suggesting people haven't been catching it at work, or can't?  If not, you make no point except contrarianism.  I'm glad you agreed a miner couldn't kill a colleague by walking past them five feet away.

Teams has been a massive pain in the arse today - made a mess of files and sharing documents.    Luckily it didn't seem to impact on calls so I was able to spend an hour or so with my class this morning.  Getting resources off of teams was a bit tricky to start but most seemed to manage it later on in the morning.  Not great for parents, but at least we've had a reasonable day all things considered.  

Spent some time in school, number of kids using the keyworker childcare from my school much higher than it was in the spring but I suspect that is down to it being in their normal school.  We've had mostly PSAs covering this, but it's handy for me as a teacher to be in to help sort technical issues as well as do some actual teaching.  

Got to say the quality of resources provided to MA TWO WEANS by their primary teachers today has been absolutely miles better than the first lockdown. 

Potentially could be because the teacher last year was pushing 60 and her main method of teaching was dirty looks and saying shh which doesn't translate well online, while they both have ~30 year olds this time - but I do reckon there's been some good training in Google classroom going on.

You can tell from the instructions and the photos proper keener parents have uploaded that the work is differentiated too, as some kids clearly have different work from mine - but you can't tell that from the resources. Hats off tbh 👍 

Edited by madwullie

I am actually, but that's completely separate and entirely juvenile. Do they deserve to die of Covid cause they smoke? Is that your point?  Do they forfeit their rights to expect a reasonable level of protection in their workplace because they smoke?  Especially my mum providing care in our society? Do you actually have a point?

No she didn't, that's why I didn't complain about that, maybe you struggle with comprehension skills, would you like me to type a bit bigger in future?  Increase the font size?  Use smaller words?  What would work for you?  But she did decide not to mandate masks in all public places at all times, as many other countries have done (you were given a thorough run down of restrictions in the Philippines that go way  beyond here, funnily enough their infection rate and deaths are way below here I wonder why that is eh) and that was within her power to do. She chose not to.

I think you'll find its you that's lacking mental capacity here and is just angry because I exist, so are finding reasons to disagree with everything I say simply cause I said it.

I think you'll find I have the "mental capacity" to realise that Sturgeon is not a dictator.

As I, and many other posters, have pointed out, there are avenues of recourse for you, or your poor put-upon parents, to pursue any perceived grievance. If these have been exhausted then maybe, just maybe, we've got a case of over-reaction here. I won't accuse you of making the whole story up, as enough have already posited this possibility.

Oh, btw - I'm in remission from cancer, had a stroke just over a year ago, and smoked up until about six years ago. I have been at work throughout this clusterfúck. There's a risk of Covid, sure, but I reckon it's riskier in Tesco than in any HMPPS premises I work in.

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I think you'll find I have the "mental capacity" to realise that Sturgeon is not a dictator.

As I, and many other posters, have pointed out, there are avenues of recourse for you, or your poor put-upon parents, to pursue any perceived grievance. If these have been exhausted then maybe, just maybe, we've got a case of over-reaction here. I won't accuse you of making the whole story up, as enough have already posited this possibility.

Oh, btw - I'm in remission from cancer, had a stroke just over a year ago, and smoked up until about six years ago. I have been at work throughout this clusterfúck. There's a risk of Covid, sure, but I reckon it's riskier in Tesco than in any HMPPS premises I work in.

No she's not, she's the democratically elected First Minister of the country and its literally her job to make these decsions. The reason masks are not being worn is because of the decision she made not to mandate them. If she doesn't want to be taking tough decisions she needs to find another job.

As I have pointed out to you several times and you don't seem capable of understanding, they have already explored these avenues and been told as long as their employers are complying with regulations laid by guess who there is nothing they can do.

Best of luck with your health issues. However your last paragraph makes no point.  

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Is there a contingency if Teams goes down?

Panic.  Sheer bloody panic.

In all seriousness, I support staff ICT in my school (in addition to my class of nutters), and I am telling them to save a copy of everything to their desktop and upload to the school website as well.  We also have access to an e-shot service called parent-pay that we can use to communicate with parents and send work out if needed.

Younger years also have something called LearningJournals - which is a bit more interactive and easier for parents (IMO) - that we could put other classes on if teams was going to be down for a long period.  

I think staff are much better prepared for this closure, though a bit more support from local authorities would have been nice.