Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Except the vast majority of fat people choose to live the way they do, otherwise they would do something about it.
The lack of societal pressure / desire to not offend them enables them to continue as is.
There is a very clear line between having a dig / mocking people for things they can't help, and doing the same to those who could help themselves, but either see it as perfectly acceptable to be fat, or can't be arsed to do anything about it.
So why the outrage when Devi says "feeling depressed, go for a walk" it's the exact same approach. Basically snap out it.

17 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The health secretary says it is planned that all over-50s will receive their first jab by the end of May.

100% sure that was meant to be end of April. Is in England.

Weird given the rate they've rattled through this week. 

ICU weekly admissions still rising is a very disappointing stat.

Even more concerning is Leitch saying the new variants are "flattering the curve" of falls in cases and hospital admissions and he said it's going to be very difficult to see an increase in speed of reduction with "the current level of restrictions". Sounds like we are going nowhere fast lockdown wise. Also hints we have not progressed enough since the school announcement to actually go ahead with it. Utterly grim !

What does he mean by the current level of restrictions? What else is there to be restricted?

Whilst many people could improve their health by eating better and moving more, you can't confuse the simplicity of the solution (which itself can be hard to implement) with the complexity of the problem of how people end up obese.

Poverty, life skills, mental health issues and other medical problems can all contribute.  I doubt many people set out with a life goal of hitting the 30 stone mark.  

Equally, the body positivity campaigns, which are valuable for young people especially in teaching them you dont need to be an IG model to be considered attractive, seem to have crossed over into attempting to shut down any soft criticism of being overweight.  Whilst I dont believe shaming people into losing weight works, it surely doesnt do any good to sugar coat the consequences of obesity.

As I have said earlier in the thread, you would hope that the pandemic spurs more public health campaigns around healthy eating and exercise.  The glasgow club gyms already do a discounted membership for those on benefits  - why not make it completely free for them and their children.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

That '35' year old guy from Falkirk is slap bang in the middle of what you would describe as the 'vulnerable' category.  I'm seething here.  'It could happen to anyone'  f**k off.

Aye that’s what started off this obesity debate tangent, and it’s just farcical. I’m fed up of being told that anyone can become seriously ill from it when statistically - if you’re in any reasonable shape whatsoever - you’re as likely being hit by a bus.

SG did the right thing and fired out all the supply they had, exactly as the majority who were complaining about vaccination rates (like me) wanted.

Unfortunately you can just tell that despite them doing the correct thing, it’s going to lead to nonsense criticisms when we do drop down in the daily vaccination numbers, when it’s now out of their control. 

What does he mean by the current level of restrictions? What else is there to be restricted?
I took it to mean they were lax enough to make inroads against new variants very slow. I think it's a fairly major hint nothing will change at next week's review. Progress is "too slow" and the fact ICU admissions are still rising us very concerning.

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

Aye that’s what started off this obesity debate tangent, and it’s just farcical. I’m fed up of being told that anyone can become seriously ill from it when statistically - if you’re in any reasonable shape whatsoever - you’re as likely being hit by a bus.

Bus drivers are usually fat so they are to blame

The tone of the language of the briefings seems to be changing from being all positive about getting folks vaccinated quickly through to the current - if you're under 50 forget about a vaccine before Autumn...oh, and it's still not enough by way of restrictions to help bring the numbers down.

I didn't watch todays briefing but did anyone actually ask why Forth Valley now has so many cases and what they're doing their to target a stop in infection rises? When i seen the 7 day average increases for that area i couldn't help but think that was going to lead to the new date for any easing (including schooling) being after the Easter holidays.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

The physical reasons all boil down to chomping down higher calories than your body uses, ergo it can be controlled by behavioural changes. People might not want to make those adjustments, but that's just tough. There is no other fundamental mechanism at work. 

Some folk might not want to make those changes, some folk do want to do something about it but mental issues can stop them from doing so. There's loads of reasons why folk might not get up and do something about it. It's a very long road for a lot of these people because it takes breaking down a habit of a lifetime in most cases. Like telling a junkie just to stop injecting smack into his veins, aye that's the simple and fundamental change that has to happen but realistically they need help to do so, same applies to some who are overweight. This "just do something about it fatty" stuff is horrendous patter. 

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Fatties really do hate taking responsibility for their own gluttony and lack of willpower.

I hear bullying people is a great way to build confidence and willpower in people. Keep up the good work m8.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I took it to mean they were lax enough to make inroads against new variants very slow. I think it's a fairly major hint nothing will change at next week's review. Progress is "too slow" and the fact ICU admissions are still rising us very concerning.

They might be fluctuating a bit, but that's always going to happen day-to-day. 

Based on Travelling Tabby there were 123 people in ICU last Friday, and 144 the Friday before that. There are currently 115. It might be up from yesterday, but it's still a week-on-week fall. 

9 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

It doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen though. As I mentioned a few days back, I know of two people who were young and healthy who have died of it.

Though I agree the risks are much smaller, I think it’s worse to be thinking that it doesn’t happen at all. It does lead to younger folk taking more risks,  some aren’t wearing masks etc because they don’t think they can catch it or that they will be ill.

Edited by Jambomo