Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, David W said:

There will no doubt be similar evidence that playing a game of fives made absolutely no difference to Covid numbers. And countless other examples.

Indeed you are right. However, it has been proven that some behaviours have caused the crafty little covid viruses to spread and it's these which should be the focus of all governments' attentions rather than what's been going on. A lack of clear priorities!

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

Interesting point regarding mass crowds then.

If you have some sort social distancing, and manages flow of people to avoid pinch points, then its plausible to have some level of crowds at football.

Of course some stadiums are better equipped for this than others, ironically its going to be the lower league stadiums I would have thought.

It's the "outdoor" bit that matters!

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I love this. Scrambling to maintain the premise that outdoor sporting crowds are uniquely unsafe.

Big horse race meetings are more similar to a music festival than the football though. 

It's basically queue for a drink, queue for a bet, watch a race then queue for a pish and repeat. 

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Big horse race meetings are more similar to a music festival than the football though. 

It's basically queue for a drink, queue for a bet, watch a race then queue for a pish and repeat. 

True. But all of those activities take place outside.

I'm yet to hear of any outdoor activity of any size be linked to a covid outbreak, including the aforementioned beaches, BLM activities & statue defending, and indeed any protests across Europe and the US

Edited by Todd_is_God

There's clearly a difference between going to a beach and going to a football game, I'm afraid.  There is some evidence that an Atalanta champions league game escalated the outbreak in Bergamo, although I'm not sure if that's been confirmed.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Could bring back the golden age of pissing on the terracing 

Well, they use wastewater to measure covid levels now. Pish in a bottle and hand it in to the St John's ambulance folk at full time....

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm yet to hear of any outdoor activity of any size be linked to a covid outbreak, including the aforementioned beaches, BLM activities & statue defending, and indeed any protests across Europe and the US

At Ayr the bars are inside as are the bogs. 

36 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

"Jackie Baillie also focuses on the Audit Scotland report saying it makes clear "a pandemic should have been anticipated"."

Aye, thats right Jackie.....I recall you going on and on about an imminent pandemic for months before anyone had heard of Covid-19...would they listen?

I would never defend Jackie Baillie, but whilst Covid could not be anticipated there was meant to be a strategy in place for dealing with such a pandemic.

The U.K. officially saw a global pandemic as the biggest likely major threat to society; more so than mass terrorism or a rogue nuclear state.  The U.K. government ran Operation Cygnus in 2016 and its findings were: “The UK’s preparedness and response, in terms of its plans, policies and capability, is currently not sufficient to cope with the extreme demands of a severe pandemic that will have a nationwide impact across all sectors...”

Despite this finding the U.K. government did not follow up on these failings.  Maybe if they had...

11 minutes ago, super_carson said:

If you have some sort social distancing, and manages flow of people to avoid pinch points, then its plausible to have some level of crowds at football.

Of course some stadiums are better equipped for this than others, ironically its going to be the lower league stadiums I would have thought.

I'd imagine the concourse areas in premier league stadiums might be a concern as technically speaking they're indoors.  Most lower league stadiums don't have those.  Clyde, Airdrie, Falkirk, Queens Park being obvious examples that do.  quite a lot of lower league stadiums are entirely outdoors though.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There's clearly a difference between going to a beach and going to a football game, I'm afraid.  There is some evidence that an Atalanta champions league game escalated the outbreak in Bergamo, although I'm not sure if that's been confirmed.

That was pre social distancing though  wasn't it?

11 minutes ago, super_carson said:

If you have some sort social distancing, and manages flow of people to avoid pinch points, then its plausible to have some level of crowds at football. Yes you could, but of course this will need the required desire for it to return at both SG and SFA level

Of course some stadiums are better equipped for this than others, ironically its going to be the lower league stadiums I would have thought. Agree completely - but as has become clear over the past 11 months, the SFA are prioritising the Premier League (and the mens' national team tbf) over everything else. The last match I went to in Scotland had an attendance of 25 in the East Region Juniors. That level of crowd could quite clearly have went ahead in August / September.

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

How do you mean?

His definition of what a false positive is is incorrect. He's talking about positive cases that are so lightly infected that they have no symptoms or even transmissibility, which is different from a test returning a positive result for someone that is covid negative. 

I'm not saying what he's saying in general is wrong, (I've only lightly skimmed it and my own knowledge is v limited) but that's a pretty basic piece of knowledge to get wrong when writing a scathing criticism of a widely used test. Like, if he's got something that fundamental wrong, how can we be sure anything else he says is right. 

Edited by madwullie

21 minutes ago, Dev said:

With regard to football and other organised outdoor activities my concerns are about SG's complete failure to grasp reality in the pre covid new variant period. Summer/autumn 2020.

Looking ahead, under present circumstances, the football situation is (and always has been) that players, match officials, club officers, members of league committees, members of the various Scottish Associations and the SFA are registered on data bases with names and addresses kept, as a minimum requirement. They have always been traceable and completely accountable. Sadly, this fact does not appear to have come onto the SG's radar and it is significantly different from  so many others who have spread the disease and proved to be so elusive to track and trace, who give false names and addresses when asked, etc.

(If only everyone operated in such an organised way the epidemic here could have been kept under better control?)

With football so accountable through its' own regulation and with so many of the most vulnerable people already, or about to be vaccinated, there's no reason why organised outdoor activities cannot restart within the reasonably near future. All involved with football are accountable so if they do wrong they can be identified and dealt with appropriately (with no need for the SG to make nasty, child-like, threats to the whole of the sport when one breaks the rules).

You need a proactive authority to put them under pressure both organisation that run our game cant do that, probably because there is no way Celtic and Rangers could return, you couldn't at this stage of the pandemic have people traveling from all over scotland and Ireland to come to a football match and if those two clubs couldn't open fully then the rest of the game will be left until they can.

Going by that statement, I’m assuming you’ve never been to Cheltenham racecourse? It’s quite an eye opener when you see the scale of the place.
Hospitality is a huge part of it, with numerous restaurants seating thousands of people a day, as well as god knows how many bars. The Guinness village is literally thousands of pissed up race goers crammed into a mini music festival. The centaur is one of the largest indoor arenas in the southwest of England, again full of people drinking and gambling.
There’s probably more people crammed inside the various venues at any given time at the Cheltenham festival, than live in the majority of towns in Scotland.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

You need a proactive authority to put them under pressure both organisation that run our game cant do that, probably because there is no way Celtic and Rangers could return, you couldn't at this stage of the pandemic have people traveling from all over scotland and Ireland to come to a football match and if those two clubs couldn't open fully then the rest of the game will be left until they can.

Correct - especially the last bit.

Cancer treatment is and has been continuing normally.
My wife is getting hers.

She has a second mammogram next week - she needs a second op - they used a magseed but have left the clip in her because the magseed was not placed close enough - the lumpectomy only removed healthy tissue. To say she and I are fuming is an understatement.

Thankfully the lymph nodes biopsy they took is clear but it means she won't get radiotherapy until around May/June now.

She also got a call from the GP today - she's getting her first Covid-19 jab tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Going by that statement, I’m assuming you’ve never been to Cheltenham racecourse? It’s quite an eye opener when you see the scale of the place.
Hospitality is a huge part of it, with numerous restaurants seating thousands of people a day, as well as god knows how many bars. The Guinness village is literally thousands of pissed up race goers crammed into a mini music festival. The centaur is one of the largest indoor arenas in the southwest of England, again full of people drinking and gambling.
There’s probably more people crammed inside the various venues at any given time at the Cheltenham festival, than live in the majority of towns in Scotland.

I've been - and what you're saying is quite correct.

But that shouldn't mean that a wet Wednesday afternoon meeting at, say, Kelso couldn't go ahead with a crowd.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My wife is getting hers.

She has a second mammogram next week - she needs a second op - they used a magseed but have left the clip in her because the magseed was not placed close enough - the lumpectomy only removed healthy tissue. To say she and I are fuming is an understatement.

Thankfully the lymph nodes biopsy they took is clear but it means she won't get radiotherapy until around May/June now.

She also got a call from the GP today - she's getting her first Covid-19 jab tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for you all mate 🤞