Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s really what people should be doing at this point. A full lockdown doesn’t mean you can never go out. It means you should stay at home unless you really need to. It may take the Prime Minister to use that word in order for folk to listen though.

It's why, regrettably, things like going running or going out for a walk should be off the table. People need to stop thinking this is optional. It has to be made clear that non-essential trips outside are a risk to public health and you will be punished for it.

Stay at home.

Police in Scotland have used emergency powers to close a number of pubs after they “recklessly” flouted the ban on bars and clubs from remaining open, and warned they could now lose their licence

Malcolm Graham, a deputy chief constable, said police were visiting those bars today to enforce the closure order announced on Friday night after pubs in Glasgow, Greenock and Kilmarnock were among those reportedly staying open over the weekend.

One publican in Greenock was quoted saying he would continue serving until forced to stop.

Graham said the police would impose emergency closure orders, which last 24 hours per order but can be extended, and report those who ignored the orders to local licensing boards. The force was also poised to use new emergency powers being introduced next week, as soon as they could

“I am aware that a small number of public houses are intent on defying this instruction and have indicated that they will remain open until legally ordered to close,” Graham said.

This is absolutely reckless and endangers not only the lives of customers, but wider communities, in an extremely fast moving and unprecedented situation where both the health and safety of the nation is at stake.

Therefore, I have obtained further legal advice today and Police Scotland will now instruct officers to serve emergency closure orders on any licensed premises which refuses to comply on the grounds of the threat posed to public safety.

One publican in Greenock was quoted saying he would continue serving until forced to stop.

^^^ Oaksoft likes this.

Scotland, eh? Most times when we want to be out, the weather is utterly pish. Now, when we need to stay in, the weather has decided to be rather nice. Typical. If there are any huge spikes in reported cases of this virus, the blame lies squarely at the door of Sean Batty and Judith Ralston.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Where I live you can pretty much go out the door, cross the road into the Pentlands and not have to touch anything or go within 20 feet of another soul (been out with dog a couple of times).

Incredible the amount of folk today I’ve seen bumping into pals for a chat standing almost face to face, standing in a big group outside a shop waiting for a delivery, kids playing in big groups. Even walking past the pubs in the evening during the week they were busy with folk lined up at the bar etc. 

That's a bit disrespectful to your wife, imho.

I bought football socks for 5s a couple of weeks back. Capital outlay on sports wear is a risk at my age at the best of times, but I might never get the wear out of them now. I'm prepared to let these go for less than the price they cost me, only worn twice.

£2.50

20 minutes ago, Rovers2017 said:

What are peoples thoughts on here on the chances of a full on lockdown? 

Very high due to the idiotic behaviour this weekend. Britain's trajectory is worse than Italy's, and only two weeks behind now.  It could be as early as next week. 

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I bought football socks for 5s a couple of weeks back. Capital outlay on sports wear is a risk at my age at the best of times, but I might never get the wear out of them now. I'm prepared to let these go for less than the price they cost me, only worn twice.

£2.50

How many sheets of bog roll?

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

£2.50

Are you sure it was only a couple of weeks ago, Sarge?

58 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

How fucking long does it take these muppets to draw up legislation, its not like this just popped up on Wednesday, we're in the unfortunate position of having the idiots in possession of the keys to the asylum at the wrong time. 

Aye, let's rush something onto the statute books without making sure it's as legally watertight as possible...

14 minutes ago, Rovers2017 said:

What are peoples thoughts on here on the chances of a full on lockdown? 

i think social distancing works if the infection rate is below 1%, as the numbers start rising rapidly i think the government will try to force a lockdown.

8 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It's why, regrettably, things like going running or going out for a walk should be off the table. People need to stop thinking this is optional. It has to be made clear that non-essential trips outside are a risk to public health and you will be punished for it.

Stay at home.

Jason Leitch has explicitly stated that these types of activities are fine as long as you maintain social distancing. Obviously you shouldn't be doing it in built up areas, but if you're out in the open and it's not busy then it's fine.

Guest JTS98
7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jason Leitch has explicitly stated that these types of activities are fine as long as you maintain social distancing. Obviously you shouldn't be doing it in built up areas, but if you're out in the open and it's not busy then it's fine.

Yip. And from a health point of view I don't doubt that he's absolutely right.

However, as we've seen in many other countries, these activities encourage people to continue with other activities that are not ok.

As I said previously, it's like dominos.

As we've seen elsewhere, the message has to be clear, strong, consistent. Encouraging people to do some things outside makes plenty of people think going to their local pub for a lock-in is fine.

As I mentioned before, Malaysia started with the position that going for a run was ok. Quickly realised this was not a useful message. Now going for a run can land you in the clink or with a big fine.

Edited by JTS98

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

The virus has already spent three months in the largest country in the world in terms of population and in highly dense cities (Wuhan: 11 million people). Despite the authorities having no chance to prepare at all, the current total of infections in China today is just over 81,000 - 3261 deaths - with just a handful of new cases coming in each day. Even if some western countries make a monumental arse of things - the US is really your best shot here - the idea of over 1 billion people being infected by the end of the year is still fanciful. We're currently 999,680,000 short of that figure.

And the death rate isn't '2% of people infected' at all. It's (arguably less than ) 2% of symptomatic infections serious enough to warrant testing or successful contract traces - a bar that increases massively as an outbreak progresses. We simply don't know how many people have been exposed to the virus and have displayed either mild symptoms or no symptoms at all - but it is likely to be much, much higher than the tested and confirmed case rate. Which sends both the official infection rate and overall death tally downwards spectacularly.

Uh huh - but there's actually no reason at all to think that exponential growth will continue as a sustained trend. Whatever would have been the exponential outcome in China from one month ago until now simply has not happened, not even close. It isn't some magical force that just takes hold: it is something that can and normally is checked by sound public health measures, behavioural changes, changing weather conditions and about a hundred other factors that are in play.

So once again, your instant reference point of the worst pandemic disease outbreak in nearly 600 fucking years is hysterical, shrieking nonsense. Stop watching Youtube videos and turn the computer off for a wee while until you calm down.

I’m going to ignore your final paragraph as you managed to put together a good argument in your earlier ones, and raised some fair points.

Others have mentioned how the 1918 virus mutated and the second and third waves were worse than the first. Until vaccination, this current virus could potentially drag on in parts of the world for years.

China is probably one of the most disciplined countries in the world. Throw in South Korea as well who have reduced the number of new cases.  But it’s not over until the last case in the most far flung corner of the world.  Every time China or S Korea relax their measures, there is potential for cases to go back up.   How long can people remain isolated for?

You really think it’s possible to lock down entire populations all over rural communities of Indonesia, Africa, India, Mexico etc? Places where if you don’t go out to work, you don’t eat. I can’t see it.