Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Has there been any mention in this country about the big variance in fatalities between males and females in Italy and China?  There maybe has been, and I've missed it.  It was reported that in Italy, 2 out of 3 fatalities across the age groups are men.

Apparently in China males are far more likely to smoke, which is a big factor in fatality rates, but not sure the reasoning in other countries.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There was chat a few hundred pages before of what films this shitstorm reminds you of. Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

DecimalChillyHamadryad-max-1mb.gif

It's not an avian flu m9...

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

I wonder if there's any one saying to themselves.....  where are all those old isolation hospitals when we need them ?

Funnily enough, Irvine Central has been getting used more and more recently and that'e exactly what it was built for with it's pavilions setup.

Incidentally I've just paid Tesco a visit and I'm now ready for being booked into Ailsa House for an extended stay.

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

First Minister says emergency legislation to shut down pubs defying the government ban is being drawn up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-51987906

How fucking long does it take these muppets to draw up legislation, its not like this just popped up on Wednesday, we're in the unfortunate position of having the idiots in possession of the keys to the asylum at the wrong time. 

Guest JTS98
2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Screenshot_20200322-135138_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5db405888f9beb17892566cc9b6063d3.jpg

This is a misleading table in isolation.

The comparison of kill rates is not valid if you don't consider how the viruses transmit from person to person.

For example, the top four viruses on that list all had very small numbers of cases because they did not spread well among the population. A virus with a high kill rate will typically kill too quickly to spread effectively.

Part of the problem with this virus is that it keeps people alive, and seemingly asymptomatic, long enough to spread very effectively.

Guest Moomintroll
People just are not taking a telling.
The government has to help here, and most likely they're already discussing this issue.
I hate to be that person but we really do need the Army to get involved to bring it home to these idiots how serious this is.

Guest JTS98

I think the governments in numerous countries seem to have followed the same playbook in terms of social distancing, in that they've worried about going in too hard too early and losing the cooperation of the public.

No doubt, since so many countries have done the same thing, this was based on psychological considerations in the modelling that has been done for this kind of thing.

I think what we're seeing is that the projected public behaviour has shown that the global assumptions about how to do this have been wrong. If you go in softly, as all countries other than China have done, then the public just don't take it seriously.

Next time we have a pandemic, expect very early and restrictive lockdowns with strict penalties for breaking the rules.

8 minutes ago, bendan said:

Given that 60% of Africa's population is under the age of 25, I doubt that.

it was the second wave of the 'spanish flu' that killed young people,months after the original outbreak had died down. i'm not trying to say this virus will mutate but hopefully the world will be better prepared just in case.

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah once I am better I will be going out on my bike etc. 7 days indoors with my bam pot weans will be more than enough.

I'm sure the weans will be making sure your bike is in full working order when you're ready. 

27 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

There’s nothing wrong with going for a long walk with your partner etc.

That’s correct.  We are being told to self isolate if we have the symptoms and practice social distancing otherwise.

Big difference between going out walking, cycling, etc. and sitting in a pub, cinema.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s correct.  We are being told to self isolate if we have the symptoms and practice social distancing otherwise.

Big difference between going out walking, cycling, etc. and sitting in a pub, cinema.

The problem with this is that people respond to seeing other people out and about. It's a domino effect. I can go for a walk. He's going for a walk, so I can go for a walk with my pal. He's going for a walk with his pal, I'll pop in and visit my mate. I'm visiting my mate, do you want to come along?

You should just stay home. Being at home should be the default position.