Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest bernardblack
There isn't but im from aberdeen and there was a mass descension on the shire to places like loch muick etc with people saying it was mobbed. That is just idiocy or don't you agree?

Obviously mass gatherings are stupid. But going for a walk for some fresh air is fine if you keep enough space from everyone else

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Folk genuinely seem to think that this is a Bank Holiday weekend and someone is taking their toys away from them so they're having to come up with new ones.

Not to go full boomer but I think Instagram culture is driving a lot of this. Can't upload a story from a bar or boomerang your plate of penne carbonara so lets go and climb Conic Hill instead.

Will I unfollow them? No, because many of them are wee darlings. But my point stands.

Image result for kenneth williams

Band of kids passed my house earlier. Some walking, others on bikes, but in sizable clumps. They only want to go outside now, because they're being told not to.
Pretty much. We'll see if the same arseholes have the same attitude when one of their family members fall ill with it.

16 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I too may have fallen prey to this pox. My symptoms are like a bad cold, started with aches and a sore throat then onto a headache and a rough cough. Also for good measure when I sleep I start off freezing then at some point my body totally overheats and I am soaking wet with sweat.

Exactly my symptoms, this makes me feel better, cheers 

17 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I too may have fallen prey to this pox. My symptoms are like a bad cold, started with aches and a sore throat then onto a headache and a rough cough. Also for good measure when I sleep I start off freezing then at some point my body totally overheats and I am soaking wet with sweat.

This sounds more like the menopause to me.

Just now, ScottishZizou said:

There isn't but im from aberdeen and there was a mass descension on the shire to places like loch muick etc with people saying it was mobbed. That is just idiocy or don't you agree?

Where I live you can pretty much go out the door, cross the road into the Pentlands and not have to touch anything or go within 20 feet of another soul (been out with dog a couple of times).

Incredible the amount of folk today I’ve seen bumping into pals for a chat standing almost face to face, standing in a big group outside a shop waiting for a delivery, kids playing in big groups. Even walking past the pubs in the evening during the week they were busy with folk lined up at the bar etc. 

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There was some total nutter on the black and white army boards BOASTING about holding a family party for a kids birthday yesterday. His justification was none of those in attendance were "at risk". We really have a decent proportion of utter c***s amongst us !!!

Complete morons.

Without trying to start a tit for twat fight, people posting about previous epidemics\pandemics like the Spanish Flus of 1918 are ignoring that we have had a century of huge scientific advances in things as simple as antibiotics. Now they do not stop viruses, but are a huge help in controlling secondary infections from bacteria that are a major cause of death when not treated. 

The risks of this disease are not if you keep cases manageable but when the ICUs get over run and people with a severe illness that could be saved, do not get access to life saving equipment and die. Also the risk of infections to hospital staff reducing capacity etc. 

And the speed it can spread. 

Modelling from the Imperial University team put the death toll at 250 000 for the UK with no action. We can ask a lot of questions about that modelling and its assumptions but its a jump off point for how risky this could be. 

Also on Spanish Flu much of Europe was on the brink of starvation from the blockades and lack of manpower in the fields from the war or from the various civil wars that had broken out. It was a world in chaos in many places in addition to the weaker medical science. 

Edited by dorlomin

27 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

A lockdown is coming. People/employers aren't getting the message.

I was out picking up some stuff I'd ordered yesterday - lots of chat between customers and staff,  and the two tills out of four that were open were, of course, right next to each other. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Like you've said though, if this takes hold in the African continent then the mortality rates could be truly horrific.

Given that 60% of Africa's population is under the age of 25, I doubt that.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:
from Nicola Sturgeon First Minister

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-51987906

A lockdown is coming. It can only be presented softly so often.

The government just need to do it right  now. Tell the morons that they had their chance but they blew it. Start fining folk. Start closing down pubs and removing, permanently, licences from the ones who are still open. Make it law for supermarkets and shops to not be able to sell more than a set number of certain items, and start fining the panic buyers who kick up a fuss when they can't get loads of an item, ensuring that they end up with a criminal record. Crack down on employers who insist on making their employees come in if they are able to work from home. Gatling gun groups of folk who are seen out in public.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

set number of certain items, and start fining the panic buyers who kick up a fuss when they can't get loads of an item, ensuring that they end up with a criminal record. 

So you are suggesting people should be given fines for not being able to do things and then damaging their ability to work certain jobs when the economy needs to recover? 

That's absolutely mental. 

6 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Also on Spanish Flu much of Europe was on the brink of starvation from the blockades and lack of manpower in the fields from the war or from the various civil wars that had broken out. It was a world in chaos in many places in addition to the weaker medical science. 

And mass movement of people near globally, unseen before.