Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Situation on the continent as a whole looks quite bleak by all accounts. The vaccines really are the way out of this and I'm surprised how much of a f**k up many countries have made of starting it.

Yup, and it looks like Boris will come out of it smelling of roses due to his vaccines gamble - whooodathunk that 3 months ago?

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol: That is truly laughable.

Whether your view reflects a consensus on here is not of any interest or concern.  Why would it be?  You really do want this place to be one of those echo chamber things we hear about, don't you?

It absolutely is juvenile to characterise Leitch as "a dentist who doesn't know what he's talking about".  Take issue with what he says by all means, but attacks of that nature just make you look foolish. 

Oh dear. 

His daft comments about mask wearing and zero covid have been blown out of the water numerous times.  Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is proven to be wrong, regardless of how good he is at actually talking to a camera.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Oh dear. 

His daft comments about mask wearing and zero covid have been blown out of the water numerous times.  Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is proven to be wrong, regardless of how good he is at actually talking to a camera.

Well I'd humbly suggest that despite having got things wrong, as has already been acknowledged, for you to say that "he doesn't know what he's talking about" is rather silly.

He will have a greater knowledge of such matters than you or I.  I'll back down and admit to having this wrong if you too have a Masters (or above) in this stuff from Harvard.

Otherwise, I'll just have a chuckle over the suggestion on here that it's my stance that's the smug one.

My primary 2 age son isolating again. Second time since his return to school in late February. (And third since September). 

Getting a little bit beyond a joke now. When he returns again in 10 days there's nothing to stop it happening again. And again etc ..

An age group who are A) not going to be receiving a vaccine, B) are only at a tiny risk of falling ill and C) supposedly almost unable to transmit.

He had a test last night, which will no doubt return negative, yet is still stuck in the house 10 days again irrespective of the result. Think we need to get to the point (and soon) where, if contacted by Test & Protect, upon receipt of a negative test result you're allowed to go back about your business.

Edited by Steven W

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He will have a greater knowledge of such matters than you or I. 

It's quite a low bar for the National Clinical Director to only need to be more qualified than a couple of posters in The General Nonsense section of The Pie and Bovril Forum.

Edited by Marshmallo

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It's quite a low bar for the National Clinical Director to only need to be more qualified than a couple of posters in The General Nonsense section of The Pie and Bovril Forum.

Agreed.  That's why I'd imagine he'd clear it with something to spare.

However, I'm not attempting to characterise him as a colossus in his field.  I'm merely challenging the assertion from one of those posters in this section of the forum that Leitch "doesn't know what he's talking about".   It's the consensus view don't you know.

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

You're cruisin' here son. I'm no' warnin' you again.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Leitch appeals to that mid 40s to mid 60s Scottish middle class male bracket who think simultaneously 

- They are worldly wise due to their "life experience"

- They could handle themselves in a fight for some reason

- They are "straight talkers"

- Everyone under the age of 35 with an opinion has ideas above their station

- Think they're some sort of working class hero done good despite having very comfortable upbringings

Leitch is the embodiment of that lot.

Bollux. Don’t think I’ve spoken to anyone in that age bracket (or any age bracket) who doesn’t think Leech is a condescending arsehole who consistently spouts BS. Think the only folk in that age demographic you mentioned are Cosgrove and Cowan. 

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol: That is truly laughable.

Whether your view reflects a consensus on here is not of any interest or concern.  Why would it be?  You really do want this place to be one of those echo chamber things we hear about, don't you?

It absolutely is juvenile to characterise Leitch as "a dentist who doesn't know what he's talking about ".  Take issue with what he says by all means, but attacks of that nature just make you look foolish. 

But he’s a dentist who doesn't know what he's talking about.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I dunno, I think it's a pretty fair summation. 

TBF I did think for a while the the stidhar stuff was mainly misogyny due to the extreme nature of the reaction against her. But then Leitch is (now) held equally in contempt so I'm not so sure. 

Edit: a poster literally gave the zero covid stuff as the reason a few pages back and wished we had whitty because he doesn't think it's a achievable. 

Misogyny against Devi you say,  yet we have a female leader in this country who has not been castigated like her.   Utter drivel, this is a person off the top of my head has told people with a mental health issue during a global pandmic that tough shit, get on with it, we are all in the same boat, her comments were crass and insenstive, she should have been emptied.

She has tweeted utter drivel throughout, lies about hearing kids in a park berating each other for not following covid rules, aye right, that happened.   She has continually uttered shite about zero covid despite it not being achievable.   She has tweeted pish about sunshine, loving the rain, make your own happyness etc when people are at their lowest ebb.  Aye very good, it's slightly different going out for a little walk from your luxury apartment as opposed to being stuck in a tenement with a family of four and going out once a day into a shitty park full of dug shite in the rain.  She appears to have no empathy and no concept for how much of a struggle this whole Covid situation has been for so many people.   I could go on and on.

In essence she's a fucking melt.

BBC now trying to temper expectations I see,

The prospect of Britons taking foreign holidays this summer seems "extremely unlikely", a UK government adviser has suggested.

Dr Mike Tildesley, a member of the Spi-M modelling group, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there was a danger travellers could bring back new variants of coronavirus.

"I think we are running a real risk if we do start to have lots of people going overseas in July and August because of the potential for bringing more of these new variants back into the country."

He added: "What is really dangerous is if we jeopardise our vaccination campaign by having these variants where the vaccines don't work as effectively spreading more rapidly."

I do find it highly amusing that all through this the UK Gov has continued to "promise" the earth to people while the SG are criticised for being "over the top", "destroying the economy", "too safe", "pursuing unachievable goals" etc, yet ultimately the UK Gov have ALWAYS had to backtrack to the original SG position.

Of course what's really shocking is how they're never brought to account on this by the mainstream media.

Make of that what you will......

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

My jag has fucked me up. Went to bed early woke up freezing, then sweating my baws off. Then eventually had to get up with a banging headache and I'm all aches and pains. I feel like I've got covid again. 

Aye likewise man (apart from not having covid before). Was just uncomfortable yesterday but last night and this morning I'm humped. Sweaty as f**k then shivering with cold in bed.

Got an exam for work Monday that I already rescheduled as there was a death in the family the first day of the course, bit it's getting rescheduled again coz am I f**k getting the textbooks out like this. 

BBC now trying to temper expectations I see,

The prospect of Britons taking foreign holidays this summer seems "extremely unlikely", a UK government adviser has suggested.

Dr Mike Tildesley, a member of the Spi-M modelling group, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there was a danger travellers could bring back new variants of coronavirus.

"I think we are running a real risk if we do start to have lots of people going overseas in July and August because of the potential for bringing more of these new variants back into the country."

He added: "What is really dangerous is if we jeopardise our vaccination campaign by having these variants where the vaccines don't work as effectively spreading more rapidly."

Wee Nippy and Clownshoes ruining things with their demands for Zero Covid. [emoji35]

I worked with Jason Leitch for about 5 years between 2013-18. 

This is him. Condescending and patronising IMO but to some he is a clear communicator and someone who inspires a bit of confidence and bring people along on the journey.

The project was only loosely related to public health but he must have a reputation in the civil service as being a good communicator.

The project was an expensive disaster BTW 

19 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Misogyny against Devi you say,  yet we have a female leader in this country who has not been castigated like her.   Utter drivel, this is a person off the top of my head has told people with a mental health issue during a global pandmic that tough shit, get on with it, we are all in the same boat, her comments were crass and insenstive, she should have been emptied.

She has tweeted utter drivel throughout, lies about hearing kids in a park berating each other for not following covid rules, aye right, that happened.   She has continually uttered shite about zero covid despite it not being achievable.   She has tweeted pish about sunshine, loving the rain, make your own happyness etc when people are at their lowest ebb.  Aye very good, it's slightly different going out for a little walk from your luxury apartment as opposed to being stuck in a tenement with a family of four and going out once a day into a shitty park full of dug shite in the rain.  She appears to have no empathy and no concept for how much of a struggle this whole Covid situation has been for so many people.   I could go on and on.

In essence she's a fucking melt.

I did say I didn't think it was misogyny any more. 

But tbf, saying it can't be misogyny because another female hasn't got it tight doesn't really work. Someone can be targeted more strongly for being female without that meaning that every other female must be targeted too.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I did say I didn't think it was misogyny any more. 

But tbf, saying it can't be misogyny because another female hasn't got it tight doesn't really work. Someone can be targeted more strongly for being female without that meaning that every other female must be targeted too.

She’s not going to shag you mate.

Jason Leitch won’t either.