Coronavirus (COVID-19)

leitch is disliked because he frequently tells people things they don't want to hear, and often gives the impression that if it were solely up to him he would continue with NPI's until covid was near on eliminated in a similar way to what measles or TB is now, and that he would do so for as long as it takes.  politicians won't allow that obviously but the Scottish government will not publicly contradict anything he says.  If he were to say that relinquishing all measures by august would cause 10 000 deaths , and therefor we should keep restriction in place for longer ( he said on OTB before the road map that we wouldn't be back to normal by then )  there's no way the Scottish government would come out and say  " well sorry but that's just unfortunate, lockdown must be lifted before covid has fully gone away" because they are too scared to sound like callous tories  ( the tories although mostly still c***s are actually just being practical in this case when they say accepting a number of deaths )  The SNP voters and supporters are very much used to being mollycoddled and fed freebies on a scale never seen before, they are too scared to go against this grain and don't want to take the risk of getting it wrong before an election

TL;DR

if it were solely  up to him we'd be in lockdown for much much longer

43 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Genuine question. I've listened to Jason Leitch on Off The Ball for most of the pandemic and thought that if anything he was an excellent communicator. Compare him to Vallance and Whitty down south, who can barely string a sentence together. 

So...why are folk here so against him?

Easy target

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Agree on Border restrictions, they were utterly blind to the risks.

No, they weren't. This is the sort of rhetoric that is going to ensure they'll get off Scot-free.

They were advised on measures such as border restrictions, handwashing, lockdown, numerous others, and totally ignored this advice.

They weren't blind to it. They purposely ignored it.

Just now, Gaz said:

No, they weren't. This is the sort of rhetoric that is going to ensure they'll get off Scot-free.

They were advised on measures such as border restrictions, handwashing, lockdown, numerous others, and totally ignored this advice.

They weren't blind to it. They purposely ignored it.

I refer to my subsequent post on that matter.

Daily Cases Update:   Not a bad day. I expect cases per 100K to continue to rise a little but this should be the start of the positivity getting below 3.0 in a few days. 

Dumfries and Galloway had 822 cases on 4th January and it now has 17 !!  truly astonishing wipeout in that large area. Well played chaps.

Caught on the hop with the large rises in West Lothian,  East Renfrewshire hits the top spot for the 1st time where the grand citizens of Auchenbank just do not seem to be able to shrug of their outbreak.   Fallin is now certainly the anchor for Stirling but otherwise they are on a good run.

Mainland Europe is now in a pretty bad way with cases rising in most major countries,

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Total Cases 7 days from 10th March to 16th March were  4,107 and now 4,034 down 1.78%. Positivity was  3.3% down to 3.2%.   Cases per 100k were  75.2 now 73.8

Home Nations Daily update:  UK Average 59.5 to 59.1 down 0.67%, England 58.7 to 58.3,  Wales 43.6 to 44.2, Northern Ireland 70.4 to 69.8   

NHS Progress  Greater Glasgow 114.2 to 108.3  , Lanarkshire  103.6 to 99.4 , North Ayrshire & Arran  101.5 to 96.4,  Forth Valley  88.1 to 83.5 ,  the rest all under Scottish average.

European (Above 2 Million Population) Shockers: Czech 720 to 709, Hungary 517 to 529, Serbia 442 to 472, Poland 291 to 335, Sweden 267 to 292, Bulgaria 297, France 250 to 274, Italy 258 to 263, showing how much worse it is in Europe.  The UK only has below it Spain 58,  Portugal 45 (Who were top recently !!!) and Russia 35.   

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview
The Bad boys club Over 100 Cartel
East Renfrewshire 137.1 to 141.3   Top the table for the 1st time
West Lothian  113.6 to 140.9  An astonishing rise up 24% courtesy of Livingston & Craigshill
Glasgow City  139.2 to 130.5 
North Lanarkshire  123.3 to 119.5
North Ayrshire  109.8 to 108.4    
South Ayrshire  123.4 to 101.2 Big 18% drop as Ethnic cleansing in Whitletts continues.
Under 100 Club
Renfrewshire  113.3 to 98.3 Welcome 13% drop and into the under 100 club again
Stirling  109.3 to 93.4  Another 14% down.  Fallin now has 40% of the Councils cases.
Midlothian  90.9 to 90.9 
Falkirk  85.8 to 82.7
East Ayrshire  71.3 to 77.9
South Lanarkshire  82.1 to 77.4
Fife  77.6 to 76.3
Under Scottish Average club 73.8
Perth & Kinross 63.8 to 73.7   3rd daily large rise
Clackmannanshire  56.3 to 67.9 
Dundee City   58.9 to 67.6
West Dunbartonshire  51.7 to 59.6  
East Dunbartonshire 56.1 to 56.1  
SUB 50 Good Guys
East Lothian  53.2 to 48.6
City Of Edinburgh 43.4 to 42.5
Highlands  41.6 to 41.6 
Aberdeen City 39.8 to 38.0
Inverclyde 33.4 to 36.0      
Shetland Islands 26.2 to 30.5  Another outbreak 7 cases thus far.
Havana & Malt Whisky club Sub 30.0
Aberdeenshire   30.2 to 28.7
Moray  20.9 to 26.1 
Angus 20.7 to 21.5
Scottish  Borders 14.7 to 17.3 
Dumfries & Galloway 15.5 to 11.4  These guys were top early January.
Argyll & Bute 10.5  to 9.3
Western Isles  3.7 to 3.7 
Orkney Island  0.0 to 0.0 

To paraphrase The Proclaimers...PLEASE DON’T GO, TO AUUUUCHENBACK

13 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

In no way a "do not get vaccinated" post as I'm delighted I did but I have had mad sore joints/muscles all day since I got vaccinated yesterday. The toilet has not been happy with me either

Interesting because my colleague who was vaccinated the same time as me has described himself as having an arse like a Japanese flag. 

9 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Interesting because my colleague who was vaccinated the same time as me has described himself as having an arse like a Japanese flag. 

It wasn't in the leaflet but the lovely Ian who gave me my jab did say "I hope you don't get the diarrhea" 

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Don't you consider the possibility that we understand so much more about the virus than 12 months ago and therefore the advice/opinion given then may have changed completely from the advice we're given now?

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

That's my point.  People change opinion, scientists change advice.  You could probably highlight comments from every politician, scientist and advisor from 12 months ago re Covid and call them out for it based on what we know now.

What is this revisionist nonsense? The textbooks have not had to be rewritten in the past twelve months regarding how respiratory viruses spread. Joe Public was more than aware that mass indoor gatherings is probably number one on the list of things that will increase spread. I think the bar is set slightly higher for 'medical professionals' to know better.

Posted at 15:36

A third of UK adults will continue to avoid crowds after Covid - ONS

image.gif.c717f36681b8d3fe751b4940afe51a92.gif
Getty Images

More than a third of adults will continue to avoid crowded places once the Covid-19 pandemic is over, new Office for National Statistics (ONS) data suggests.

Of more than 4,500 adults surveyed across the UK this month, some 38% told the ONS they were more likely to avoid crowds in the future than they were before the pandemic began.

Three in 10 people (33%) said they would continue to shop online more frequently for non-grocery items.

A further 23% said they were more likely to avoid public transport, and almost three in 10 working adults (29%) said they would continue to do their jobs from home more often.

Excellent. Weeds out the weirdos and leaves the rest of us to get on with things.

Edited by Elixir

What is this revisionist nonsense? The textbooks have not had to be rewritten in the past twelve months regarding how respiratory viruses spread. Joe Public was more than aware that mass indoor gatherings is probably number one on the list of things that will increase spread. I think the bar is set slightly higher for 'medical professionals' to know better.

It's a fairly simple point to comprehend. Advice over the last 12 months from politicians to scientists has evolved as they better understand the virus.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Genuine question. I've listened to Jason Leitch on Off The Ball for most of the pandemic and thought that if anything he was an excellent communicator. Compare him to Vallance and Whitty down south, who can barely string a sentence together. 

So...why are folk here so against him?

Try listening to the content of his message and the comparing it to the facts. Indeed if you had just followed the opposite of Clownshoes Leitch's various pronouncements then you wouldn't end up far from the current guidelines.

2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Supports Airdrie.

That certainly doesn't help. 

27 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Let's not forget about the first nine months when the government and media were poring over any tiny study that 'proved' that "the weans cannae get it!!11!!'" to open up their infection factories. Only for this respiratory virus to act like, erm, every other respiratory virus under the sun and have its spread in the community hypercharged by the school system. Which then forced the government into an utterly humiliating climbdown. An entirely avoidable decision that cost literally thousands of lives, made months after the initial outbreak.

But aye the science definitely evolved on us there.

1919238B-D2A6-48F5-8023-A45A2B4B9021.png.89c2e3c13021db68366fd0fd8c728b00.png

14 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's a fairly simple point to comprehend. Advice over the last 12 months from politicians to scientists has evolved as they better understand the virus.

Except none of this will stand up to scrutiny at the coming public inquiry. Pretending we didn't know how to mitigate a pandemic or how a respiratory virus spreads prior to Covid-19 is simply wrong. We may have learned more specifics about the virus itself, but pretending we just didn't know in early March 2020 that things like mass public gatherings would make little difference to the course of an epidemic is pure fantasy land pish.

Except none of this will stand up to scrutiny at the coming public inquiry. Pretending we didn't know how to mitigate a pandemic or how a respiratory virus spreads prior to Covid-19 is simply wrong. We may have learned more specifics about the virus itself, but pretending we just didn't know in early March 2020 that things like mass public gatherings would make little difference to the course of an epidemic is pure fantasy land pish.

Amazing that you knew so much more than anyone else on this. Maybe you should have stepped in at the time and offered your advice and we would all have been in a much better place.

The pontificating from the usual heads gone mob on here continues to be the gift that keeps on giving, I say that as no fan of Leitch, sorry "clownshoes" [emoji85]

Of all the tropes from the Simps, one of the worst is them getting absolutely schooled in their attempted defences of Clownshoes and squealing "AD LIKE TAE SEE YOU DAE A BETTER JOB!" at a bunch of non-entity VLs on The Pie and Bovril Forum, as if this is a valid argument in favour of The National Clinical Director of the Scottish Government.

The saddest part is I reckon the vast majority of The Main Players could have done a better job!