Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Posted at 12:59

What impact did mass gatherings of Rangers fans have on Covid cases?

image.gif.384bc5f798f8c702f8e67712c244f98f.gif
Reuters

James Matthews from Sky asks if he is correct in saying that there wasn't a significant rise in Covid cases as a result of the mass gatherings of Rangers fans after the club won the league title.

And he asks if that might compromise the message ahead of this weekend's Old Firm match.

Prof Jason Leitch says it is not known for sure as it is hard to "link solidly" someone's attendance at a location and their positive test.

He adds: "You can if it is in a workplace and there is a big outbreak but it is very difficult, because of the incubation period of the virus, to be sure.

"There is a time-related uptick in cases across the west of Scotland kind of, after that weekend.

"However, we can't know for sure that one led to the other because it seemed to happen quite quickly then it went up a little bit and now it has stayed stable."

Prof Leitch confirms some Test and Protect interviews with people who were positive suggests some of them attended the mass gatherings outside Ibrox and in Glasgow's George Square.

Quote Message: I know for certain that the science tells me if people gather, the virus can spread, so that gathering still worries me. from Prof Jason Leitch Scotland's national clinical director

I know for certain that the science tells me if people gather, the virus can spread, so that gathering still worries me.

Prof Jason Leitch

Scotland's national clinical director

What a complete and utter word salad from this incompetent moron. A year ago he was saying that gigs and matches at Ibrox were fine. This field of science sure has pivoted a lot in just twelve months! Bellend.

Zero credibility and nothing he says has worth or can be taken seriously. In reality, the answer should have just been: 'Rangers fans are disgusting cretins, but their actions had no impact on infection rates'. Easy, done.

13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

No Covid patients but haven't they used the facility for non Covid patients such as out patients and latterly mass vaccination?

And also teaching.

The mood music this morning suggesting a real possibility covid vaccines will be needed for spectators. Not a route I’d want the country to go down tbh. Coercion at it’s finest 

Well it would be fun watching anti vaxxers shunned permanently.

24 minutes ago, Elixir said:

What a complete and utter word salad from this incompetent moron. A year ago he was saying that gigs and matches at Ibrox were fine. This field of science sure has pivoted a lot in just twelve months! Bellend.

Zero credibility and nothing he says has worth or can be taken seriously. In reality, the answer should have just been: 'Rangers fans are disgusting cretins, but their actions had no impact on infection rates'. Easy, done.

Don't you consider the possibility that we understand so much more about the virus than 12 months ago and therefore the advice/opinion given then may have changed completely from the advice we're given now?

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Don't you consider the possibility that we understand so much more about the virus than 12 months ago and therefore the advice/opinion given then may have changed completely from the advice we're given now?

That was all the more reason to be ultra cautious last year. And that's not hindsight on my part - I was a complete wimp about covid last year and would've locked everyone in their houses for weeks last March/April and said as much at the time.

46 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
Many countries seem to have made an arse of vaccination strategy but France leading the way in fuckwittery.

35k new cases yesterday, sacre bleu.

They've been averaging 20k a day since late January. About twenty urban areas also put into yet another lockdown. 

Starting to wonder if Macron would actually like to beat Le Pen in the election. 

What's the story with France?  Is their #pres a mad Covid denier like the Brazilian lad?  Or have they just opened up and not vaccinating anycunt?

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Some people on here taking enormous L's on this one.

Was it not mostly Celtic lassies on Twitter who were in flood of tears over it?  Most folk on here accept that Covid particles are next to useless outside.  Indoors is where the wee arseholes infect others.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Louisa Jordan shut without seeing a single patient. The NHS really must have been in trouble...

It's not been standing empty to be fair though and while it wasn't needed for Covid it had been used to deliver important healthcare.

From the BBC-By the time it closes at the end of March, it will have hosted:

• More than 30,000 outpatient and diagnostic appointments
  • Almost 7,000 students in training
  • 175,000 vaccination appointments.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What's the story with France?  Is their #pres a mad Covid denier like the Brazilian lad?  Or have they just opened up and not vaccinating anycunt?

He's just a complete idiot. Trashed the AZ vaccine saying it was basically useless for over 65s, had his government then try and persuade people it was safe, suspended it again and now is administering it only to over 55s. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Was it not mostly Celtic lassies on Twitter who were in flood of tears over it?  Most folk on here accept that Covid particles are next to useless outside.  Indoors is where the wee arseholes infect others.

The match thread and the Rangers thread were full of folk completely losing the run of themselves over it. It was never, ever going to lead to a spike in cases.

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That was all the more reason to be ultra cautious last year. And that's not hindsight on my part - I was a complete wimp about covid last year and would've locked everyone in their houses for weeks last March/April and said as much at the time.

Yep, this is spot on.

I said a hundred or so pages back that it's easy to look back at last year in hindsight, but I think a lot of folk forget how terrifying it was unless you were an old person who needed to go for a merry wee shopping trip.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Yep, this is spot on.

I said a hundred or so pages back that it's easy to look back at last year in hindsight, but I think a lot of folk forget how terrifying it was unless you were an old person who needed to go for a merry wee shopping trip.

I can remember "getting into it" with people saying they "needed" to get outdoors for exercise or to get a breather from the mother in law. My view at the time was police people to one trip to their nearest food shop once a week.

Look at me now - I'd open the lot tomorrow arguably!

26 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That's my point.  People change opinion, scientists change advice.  You could probably highlight comments from every politician, scientist and advisor from 12 months ago re Covid and call them out for it based on what we know now.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

That's my point.  People change opinion, scientists change advice.  You could probably highlight comments from every politician, scientist and advisor from 12 months ago re Covid and call them out for it based on what we know now.

The problem is that there are a hell of a lot of, in particular, politicians who made staggeringly bad decisions based on what they knew then, now what they know now.