Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

If it was a case that the vaccines were a drug, like ibuprofen, we would be. But as they're biological agents rather than chemicals, there are fewer people capable of making them, the testing and quality control is through the roof, and the supplies of raw materials limited. 

So the question becomes why didn't we see this coming?

AFAIK, Sanofi has one of the largest manufacturing bases for vaccines in Europe. Their one didn't work. They've since offered one of their manufacturing bases in Frankfurt to make the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. What are the other Sanofi sites doing at the moment?

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

The spat with the EU seems to be getting far more prominance over what appears to be the main reason for under-supply for a month long period - production of the AZ vaccine in India

...India's large role in Oxford-AZ production has been ignored by the UK media for months now. Probably because it undermined the jingoistic narrative preferred by Boris and co.

19 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I had never heard of Fallin until it was mentioned in this thread so I googled it and found this article.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12314314.the-polmaise-malaise/

Dregs, scum, bigots, racists, homophobes, almost without exception. Sounds it.

I take it that's sarcasm?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Has testing in schools been ramped up now that more pupils are going back?

The testing done in schools is with the 30min lateral flow tests and these are not included in the daily figures. Although, if someone tests positive from one of these, they will then have to get a PCR test to confirm. Not sure we'll get any figures from the amount of these twice-weekly tests they're doing though.

Edited by s_dog

49 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Anybody having a headache for 4 days, with or without having had an injection, should seek medical advice, imo.

46 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

A typical "nothing to see here" story once you actually read it.

Correct

The testing done in schools is with the 30min lateral flow tests and these are not included in the daily figures. Although, if someone tests positive from one of these, they will then have to get a PCR test to confirm. Not sure we'll get any figures from the amount of these twice-weekly tests they're doing though.

The false positive rates of the lateral flow tests and the frequency with which school staff and students are taking them means that there probably are a lot of extra follow-up PCR tests being done.

New routes, that's not supposed to happen according to Glasgow Airport gadgie.

Edinburgh Airport

@EDI_Airport

@easyJet  has announced a new route to Bournemouth beginning 27 May. Flights to the popular seaside town will operate up to twice a week on Thursdays and Sundays during the summer!

A typical "nothing to see here" story once you actually read it.

Actually, I’m a little concerned that the UK are sweeping this ‘blood clots around the brain’ issue under the carpet. When virtually the whole of Europe suspends AZ in the current climate you need to be a little concerned. Do we really think every leader in Europe that takes this decision isn’t aware of the damage it could do to the vaccination programme?
Interesting in seeing this headache advice. Is suggests we are not quite as certain as we are making out that this is not an AZ related issue.
Appreciate that it’s damaging to stop now and I’m not suggesting we do, nor that we create unnecessary alarm that means that a lot of people won’t take up the vaccination, but it would be nice if we didn’t keep sending out conflicting messages and told people the facts....

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Actually, I’m a little concerned that the UK are sweeping this ‘blood clots around the brain’ issue under the carpet. When virtually the whole of Europe suspends AZ in the current climate you need to be a little concerned. Do we really think every leader in Europe that takes this decision isn’t aware of the damage it could do to the vaccination programme?
Interesting in seeing this headache advice. Is suggests we are not quite as certain as we are making out that this is not an AZ related issue.
Appreciate that it’s damaging to stop now and I’m not suggesting we do, nor that we create unnecessary alarm that means that a lot of people won’t take up the vaccination, but it would be nice if we didn’t keep sending out conflicting messages and told people the facts....

There is a 1 in a million chance of developing a clot per the data. It's a complete non-issue. If you've not been vaccinated and you get covid there is a 1 in 100 chance you'll die.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There is a 1 in a million chance of developing a clot per the data. It's a complete non-issue. If you've not been vaccinated and you get covid there is a 1 in 100 chance you'll die.

You are basing your information on short term effects data and I am well aware of the statistics.

All I keep seeing is the same misinformation in the media re numbers of blood clots per million and how it’s below the normal threshold. That is not the reason why countries have suspended it and blindly ignoring 10s of other countries and saying we are right and they are all wrong isn’t exactly reassuring to many of us due to get the vaccination in the next few days.....

1 hour ago, G51 said:

You have to wonder how much longer the position of "We have to protect pharma companies IP rights and prevent other factories from making vaccines" is sustainable.

Vaccine manufacturing is a low-efficiency, high-volume thing. Some factories are about 40 - 50% efficient. Why the f**k aren't we building factories as fast as humanly possible right now?

Have been wondering this too but held off asking as thought it might be an idiotic question...!
Is it the facilities, expertise, raw materials or something else that is a limiting factor here?

If the rate these blood clots were allegedly happening at was no greater than in the population as a whole, I'm still a bit unsure as to why investigation was necessary. If the risk was elevated, fair enough as we now have a large enough sample size of vaccinated people that this would become apparent. But there was no link to start with. 

Edited by Michael W