Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Don't know if this has already been picked up here:

Copied from the on-line Edinburgh News today:

Edinburgh football manager criticises Scottish government for not prioritising sport in lockdown exit roadmap | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

Edinburgh football manager criticises Scottish government for not prioritising sport in lockdown exit roadmap

A manager of a semi-professional football club in Edinburgh has hit out at the government’s failure to prioritise the return of adult contact sports earlier during the easing of lockdown.

By Jacob Farr

Thursday, 18th March 2021, 12:30 pm

According to First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, adult outdoor contact sports are signposted for a return on May 17.

But this comes several weeks after hairdressers and barbers are allowed to open on April 5, and a few weeks after bars and restaurants are allowed to reopen indoors at a reduced capacity.

This has led to Ryan Dinse, manager of Craigroyston Football Club, to hit out at the reopening process adopted by the government.

The manager has said that he has been left confused as he is yet to see evidence that outdoor contact sports are a hotbed for transmissions.

He said: “This is really quite frustrating for everyone involved in sport below the professional level. And I fully understand there’s risks but last year we were allowed to open up when most of the indicators were higher than they are today and we have a vaccine.

“I’d like to see them apply some common sense and to understand what the lack of outdoor sports like football is doing to people's mental health.

“We followed strict protocols at training and games and provided safe environments for players. We jumped through hoops to meet their demands and we had no problems at all.

“I just find it ridiculous that pubs and restaurants are to reopen before adults are allowed to play football in this country.”

Chief executive of the observatory for sport in Scotland David Ferguson added that he feels the Scottish government should have prioritised the reopening of outdoor contact sports earlier in the easing of lockdown process.

He said: “New Zealand, interestingly, made re-opening of community sport a priority in its emergence from lockdown and used sport as a tool to aid the physical and mental recovery from the pandemic. I would add that this started with restrictions to play within regions and I think we should follow that line, and not necessarily jump straight to nationwide competition.

“It would be helpful if there was the same understanding here that outdoor sport presents very little risk but provides a much higher level of reward in terms of people's physical and mental health.

“Many teams across Scotland abided by guidelines and spent a lot of time and resources on opening back up briefly last year when lockdown was eased. There is nothing to suggest that teams would not be up to the task of replicating this feat and helping people stay physically and mentally fit.”

When asked last week why the Scottish Government had not prioritised the reopening of adult outdoor contact sports, a spokesperson said: “We understand the important role football plays in Scottish life, particularly in improving physical and mental health.

“SPFL clubs were only able to resume activity after adopting enhanced measures to keep everyone safe, including mandatory weekly Covid PCR tests for all players and staff. We are keen to see amateur and semi-professional players return to the pitch once it is safe for them to do so, and will not keep restrictions in place for any longer than is absolutely necessary.”

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Actually, I’m a little concerned that the UK are sweeping this ‘blood clots around the brain’ issue under the carpet. When virtually the whole of Europe suspends AZ in the current climate you need to be a little concerned. Do we really think every leader in Europe that takes this decision isn’t aware of the damage it could do to the vaccination programme?
Interesting in seeing this headache advice. Is suggests we are not quite as certain as we are making out that this is not an AZ related issue.
Appreciate that it’s damaging to stop now and I’m not suggesting we do, nor that we create unnecessary alarm that means that a lot of people won’t take up the vaccination, but it would be nice if we didn’t keep sending out conflicting messages and told people the facts....

A problem is that the British media and UK govt try to paint everything as anti-eu, we were right to brexit etc. 

I read a pretty balanced article on it today explaining the ins and outs of the blood clot issue. After reading it, I would still take the AZ vaccine if offered it, but it was quite enlightening. I'll see if I can find it - annoying twitter doesn't have a history function that I know of. 

Edit: One of the points that I remember is that it was increased risk in the under 50s. I think that was part of the explanation why we haven't seen the same effect in our cohort - the vast majority of people we've vaccinated are over that age 

Edited by madwullie

37 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

It’s always good to know that a single poster’s view on Twitter trumps the majority of the EU.
Ta......

Is it really true that someone in the EU actually had a covid vaccination the other day? Wow! Lucky them.

8 minutes ago, madwullie said:

A problem is that the British media and UK govt try to paint everything as anti-eu, we were right to brexit etc. 

I read a pretty balanced article on it today explaining the ins and outs of the blood clot issue. After reading it, I would still take the AZ vaccine if offered it, but it was quite enlightening. I'll see if I can find it - annoying twitter doesn't have a history function that I know of. 

Edit: One of the points that I remember is that it was increased risk in the under 50s. I think that was part of the explanation why we haven't seen the same effect in our cohort - the vast majority of people we've vaccinated are over that age 

I think it was this article. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/it-s-very-special-picture-why-vaccine-safety-experts-put-brakes-astrazeneca-s-covid-19

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

Honestly mate, the MHRA in the UK, the EMA in the EU and the WHO have all said it’s absolutely safe, as have the dozens of clinical trials, safety checks and regulators round the world. The countries that panicked the other day will now have to try and tell their populations it’s safe again after the findings of the EMA. Over 11 million people in the UK have received it, one in every five people in Scotland has received it. There is no elevated risk of blood clots in the Astra Zeneca vaccine. None. Zero.

If you don’t want to take it, don’t. Nobody is making you. Just know if you’re sitting in hospital with a tube down your throat that it’s 100% your own fault.

Italy starting to use it again on Friday.

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

He needs to have a look in the history books to check the end date of the Great War

He means when are Maggie sorted out that Ruskie Gorbachev

Simple as

You are basing your information on short term effects data and I am well aware of the statistics.

All I keep seeing is the same misinformation in the media re numbers of blood clots per million and how it’s below the normal threshold. That is not the reason why countries have suspended it and blindly ignoring 10s of other countries and saying we are right and they are all wrong isn’t exactly reassuring to many of us due to get the vaccination in the next few days.....

If you don't think it's safe then don't bother getting the vaccine for now.

Actually, I’m a little concerned that the UK are sweeping this ‘blood clots around the brain’ issue under the carpet. When virtually the whole of Europe suspends AZ in the current climate you need to be a little concerned. Do we really think every leader in Europe that takes this decision isn’t aware of the damage it could do to the vaccination programme?
Interesting in seeing this headache advice. Is suggests we are not quite as certain as we are making out that this is not an AZ related issue.
Appreciate that it’s damaging to stop now and I’m not suggesting we do, nor that we create unnecessary alarm that means that a lot of people won’t take up the vaccination, but it would be nice if we didn’t keep sending out conflicting messages and told people the facts....

It's all political.

Over and above that the EMA have rubber stamped it now.

He means when are Maggie sorted out that Ruskie Gorbachev
Simple as
If you don't think it's safe then don't bother getting the vaccine for now.
Ah ok, it looks like I thought this was a forum for discussing different perspectives. But it’s actually headsgone red dot paradise.
ill leave you  and Marshy to your faith in good old Boris.
Ill keep questioning and seeking opinion.
Jolly Brexit! [emoji23]

38 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Czechia finally starting get its arse in gear. Just got that Pfizer jag & #2 scheduled for 3 weeks time. 

When and why did they change the name ?

I've also noticed that it's only BBC which seems to use the new name as the likes of Euronews remain "old school".

19 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

When and why did they change the name ?

I've also noticed that it's only BBC which seems to use the new name as the likes of Euronews remain "old school".

The official name hasn’t changed.  This is an alternative to make it easier to put on sporting clothing 😂.

18 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The official name hasn’t changed.  This is an alternative to make it easier to put on sporting clothing 😂.

Yes, just read about it, apparently a "simpler informal alternative" introduced in 2016, however it appears that the BBC are the only ones who use it, no doubt suits their usual condescending yet rather simplistic outlook on things.

BBC pushing it pretty hard that vaccine nationalism in India is causing the delay in April.  Johnson denying this and strangely Jonathan Ashworth backing him up.  He has his head so far up Johnson’s arse you can barely make out what he’s saying.
The story I read on BBC appeared to be blaming supply problems from the US.

1 minute ago, Forest_Fifer said:
44 minutes ago, Left Back said:
BBC pushing it pretty hard that vaccine nationalism in India is causing the delay in April.  Johnson denying this and strangely Jonathan Ashworth backing him up.  He has his head so far up Johnson’s arse you can barely make out what he’s saying.

The story I read on BBC appeared to be blaming supply problems from the US.

Thats partially what the Serum institute are blaming it on.  US export bans of required materials.  BBC are latching onto the other reason of them being directed to prioritise the Indian vaccination programme.