Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The mood music this morning suggesting a real possibility covid vaccines will be needed for spectators. Not a route I’d want the country to go down tbh. Coercion at it’s finest 

The thing that is never mentioned is how long would this nonsense drag on? Years from now even when death rates have long since returned to their pre-pandemic level? If/when it becomes clear that these extra barriers are hitting businesses in the pocket at the same time? Other than state overreach, I just don't see the point beyond the short-term publicity of 'allowing' mass gatherings again.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Estimated number of people with COVID-19 in the week ending 13 March 2021  (not living in care homes, hospitals or other institutional settings)   England - 1 in 340 Wales - 1 in 430 Northern Ireland - 1 in 315 Scotland - 1 in 275

#Elimination #ZeroCovid looking more 'likely' in Wales, England, and Northern Ireland than Scotland. That's a bit of a blow for Devi and the dentist. I imagine Sturgeon has actual real world things to be concerned about at present instead.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

655 new cases (2.9 percent of tests), 397 in hospital (-8) and 35 in ICU (-3). Eight deaths.

I think the vaccines are working, lads.

take the case numbers from 3 weeks ago and todays death figures

go back to a date last autumn when we had the same number , then check the death figures for the date 3 weeks later

subtract todays total from that total and the difference = the length of the cigar

39 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The mood music this morning suggesting a real possibility covid vaccines will be needed for spectators. Not a route I’d want the country to go down tbh. Coercion at it’s finest 

Wonder how that will work for u18s

France have now decided to only offer the Astra Zeneca vaccine to those over 55, a mere fortnight after refusing to give it to anyone over 65 as it was ‘quasi-ineffective’. 

image.gif

Edited by Paco

take the case numbers from 3 weeks ago and todays death figures
go back to a date last autumn when we had the same number , then check the death figures for the date 3 weeks later
subtract todays total from that total and the difference = the length of the cigar
Have just put this into my calculator. Its come back saying "fucking massive".

18 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

655 new cases (2.9 percent of tests), 397 in hospital (-8) and 35 in ICU (-3). Eight deaths.

I think the vaccines are working, lads.

Yep.

On 22nd January hospital numbers peaked at 2053, with 161 in ICU.

Today, as you say, exactly 8 weeks later, 397 in hospital and 35 in ICU. 

By my reckoning that's an 81% reduction in hospital numbers in 8 weeks. 

Similarly a 78% reduction in ICU numbers over the same period.

On 27th January the seven day average for number of deaths was 60. Yesterday it was 8 (rounded up from 7.6). 

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

France have now decided to only offer the Astra Zeneca vaccine to those over 55, a mere fortnight after refusing to give it to anyone over 65 as it was ‘quasi-ineffective’. 

image.gif

Many countries seem to have made an arse of vaccination strategy but France leading the way in fuckwittery.

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep.

On 22nd January hospital numbers peaked at 2053, with 161 in ICU.

Today, as you say, exactly 8 weeks later, 397 in hospital and 35 in ICU. 

By my reckoning that's an 81% reduction in hospital numbers in 8 weeks. 

Similarly a 78% reduction in ICU numbers over the same period.

On 27th January the seven day average for number of deaths was 60. Yesterday it was 8 (rounded up from 7.6). 

But we just don't know!!!!!

5 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Southgate advocating footballers being allowed to jump the queue for vaccines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56451822

If the finance is coming from private sources and it's not taking jabs away from vulnerable people in the UK then is it acceptable? 

Ironically if the SG had decided to recognise the widely understood and accepted low risk which  football, rugby, and other organised outdoor activities at all levels and ages presents to everyone-else it could have made private vaccinations for these people a condition of continuing to play. Instead we have the SPFL and a small number of high profile players of other sports using hugely expensive PCR testing which doesn't protect them or anyone in contact with them. Bonkers!

Consider also the potential mental health benefits which there were available not just to people who participate in organised outdoor activities but to those who have a keen interest in them. All of this has been disregarded as an appropriate priority. Truly sad!