Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Something else I’ve noticed in the last couple of weekends when the weather has been decent ( not last week) is the huge number of kids and young people in parks playing football, just amongst themselves without it being organised by adults. I’ve not seen it in those numbers since i was a kid myself 30 years ago!
Given how much we blame that for the lack of quality in the modern game
I recon another few years of lockdown and we should win the world cup!
Joking aside I still it’s a good thing

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I mean, they aren't. There is a world of difference between being barred from travelling to Botswana, being made to self-isolate on return from Chad, and keeping masks, social distancing and limits on attendance at events in the UK. But I don't imagine you will be convinced on that so I won't try.

It's very obvious that the past couple of weeks or so have been about messaging drip feeding the idea of a 'new normal' in terms of domestic restrictions beyond June which now seems is going to be framed as a temporary 1 year measure.

We will have a far better idea of what has been decided after Boris's statement on Monday.

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Something else I’ve noticed in the last couple of weekends when the weather has been decent ( not last week) is the huge number of kids and young people in parks playing football, just amongst themselves without it being organised by adults. I’ve not seen it in those numbers since i was a kid myself 30 years ago!
Given how much we blame that for the lack of quality in the modern game
I recon another few years of lockdown and we should win the world cup!
Joking aside I still it’s a good thing

It's absolutely a good thing. One thing I've really noticed since going into teaching is how few kids play football, particularly unorganised, these days compared to 20 years ago when I was a pupil.

I cannot see the point in going to someplace that has restrictions for a holiday in the summer.
Come September or October Europe will have caught up and it should be full steam ahead for the winter sport season. Our bookings are at the level we would normally be in late August or early September so there are going to be a lot of people disappointed when they try to book late.
Depends on the level of restrictions. Masks outside for example I agree. Point is it's not out of some sort of anti EU feeling that UK holiday bookings are up. Talk of Brits "shunning" the EU is 'are brave boys, fleg shite.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's very obvious that the past couple of weeks or so have been about messaging drip feeding the idea of a 'new normal' in terms of domestic restrictions beyond June which now seems is going to be framed as a temporary 1 year measure.

We will have a far better idea of what has been decided after Boris's statement on Monday.

The drip feeding is of a vaccine passport that will allow for restriction free (if you exclude the very notable point that requiring a vaccine / negative test is in itself a restriction) participation in what we would consider "normal"

That it is being pushed as having a 12 month limit makes it abundantly clear that it is being used to encourage younger people to take the vaccine.

I'm not getting into a debate about the ethics or morality of that as it's not a 2 minute discussion, but none of the above suggests SD & Capacity limits are going to be in place for a further 12-15 months.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The drip feeding is of a vaccine passport that will allow for restriction free (if you exclude the very notable point that requiring a vaccine / negative test is in itself a restriction) participation in what we would consider "normal"

That it is being pushed as having a 12 month limit makes it abundantly clear that it is being used to encourage younger people to take the vaccine.

I'm not getting into a debate about the ethics or morality of that as it's not a 2 minute discussion, but none of the above suggests SD & Capacity limits are going to be in place for a further 12-15 months.

We shall see. In areas where the government are afraid to impose vaccine restrictions such as religious services, public transport, shops, hospitals and generally non commercial public buildings I think they will still require SD.

Edited by Detournement

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Personally, I think it'll come down to whether they have completed vaccinating everyone, cases are still low and the link between cases and deaths/hospitalisations has been broken. In that scenario I think they'll allow crowds to return in some form.

There's an awful lot of people convincing themselves that something more sinister is afoot. The reality is that this government is just absolutely risk averse and is terrified, to the point of paralysis, of being seen to have made mistakes. Because of that, they are dragging their heels over every single bloody thing. For those of us who are not afraid of our own shadows, this is absolutely infuriating but unfortunately those in charge don't agree with us.

I'm trying really hard to not come across that way.

I think, like you, that our governments are just scared to make decisions, poorly advised, and stuck in the mindset that Covid-19 behaves like no virus ever before it, which simply isn't true.

• 397 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 21,560 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.1% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive 
  • 2,535,889 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 434,941 have received their second dose

7 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:
  • 397 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 21,560 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.1% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive 
  • 2,535,889 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 434,941 have received their second dose

source.gif

37 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There's an awful lot of people convincing themselves that something more sinister is afoot. The reality is that this government is just absolutely risk averse and is terrified, to the point of paralysis, of being seen to have made mistakes. Because of that, they are dragging their heels over every single bloody thing. For those of us who are not afraid of our own shadows, this is absolutely infuriating but unfortunately those in charge don't agree with us.

I very rarely agree with you on anything but this is pretty much how I feel about it.

"We have to watch how we behave in order to get those crowds," he said.

"I think with a fair wind - with good restrictions now - if people follow them, we will have crowds in Hampden and other UK stadia in June," Leitch told BBC Scotland's The Seven.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56620517

So we should all behave with restrictions to get crowds into Hampden for the Euro's :lol: 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Personally, I think it'll come down to whether they have completed vaccinating everyone, cases are still low and the link between cases and deaths/hospitalisations has been broken. In that scenario I think they'll allow crowds to return in some form.

Spot on re the fear the government has

Edited by Steven W

"We have to watch how we behave in order to get those crowds," he said.
"I think with a fair wind - with good restrictions now - if people follow them, we will have crowds in Hampden and other UK stadia in June," Leitch told BBC Scotland's The Seven.

So we should all behave with restrictions to get crowds into Hampden for the Euro's :lol: 

Al take yer euros aff ye!
Fuckin hell, what kind of pish will we get next

Much that I think we get an awful lot wrong in this country, I’m just back from getting my jag at the Gyle vaccination centre, what a fantastic, well run set up. Thanks very much to all concerned.

That said, as I light up my cigar, it’s tinged with a bit of frustration/rage. The lovely nurse that gave me the jag, informed me that there is a 20% “no show” rate!!!

What is wrong with these people? 

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Al take yer euros aff ye!
Fuckin hell, what kind of pish will we get next

I and the vast majority of people in the country couldn't give a toss about 'fans at the Euros': it's mind-boggling that God-bothering gimp considers that to be his trump card. 

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

I and the vast majority of people in the country couldn't give a toss about 'fans at the Euros': it's mind-boggling that God-bothering gimp considers that to be his trump card. 

I'd say the majority of football fans give more of a toss about it than you do, to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd say the majority of football fans give more of a toss about it than you do, to be honest.

The majority of the Scottish population are not interested in international football though; never mind the particular question of whether Hamish Husband gets to watch a game at Hampden or not.