Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It may well be an excellent article. Locked behind a paywall for me sadly.

the link is currently all speculation.  No actual evidence of any increased risk.  This quote about sums it up.

However, the EMA said on Wednesday that it had still not been able to identify any evidence of a link between the blood clots and specific risk factors “including age, gender or previous history”. “At the moment, at this stage of our investigations, the link is possible and we cannot say any more than that at this point,” said EMA chief Emer Cooke. “There is no evidence that would support restricting the use of this vaccination in any population.” The MHRA did not disclose the age or gender of the new cases identified in the UK. The difference in the position of the EMA and some European scientists has led to varied and sometimes conflicting national advice on who should get the shot and who should not.

this is probably the most concerning part of the article

The rare combination of blood clots and low platelet counts usually affects roughly three in 100,000 people per year in Germany, according to one of the researchers, who said that the 31 cases identified within two weeks of vaccination with the AstraZeneca vaccine pointed to an incidence rate 10 times higher than normal.

As has been said though, it’s all speculation.

ETA the numbers don’t stack up.  Corellating 3 to 31 and deducing a 10 times higher incidence rate would indicate that only 100,000 doses of AZ have been administered in Germany.  That obviously isn’t correct.

Edited by Left Back

19 hours ago, Michael W said:

Looks like the successful vaccine rollout has been a giant waste of everyone's time then. Way to undermine the progress we've made with a piece of mewing straight out the Zero Covid playbook. 

If 2 fully vaccinated people can't meet then the game is truly up and life is over as we know it.

Alternatively, that fat, mumbling walrus can f**k off. Adult human beings should not need government permission to visit each other's houses.

48 minutes ago, GiGi said:

If 2 fully vaccinated people can't meet then the game is truly up and life is over as we know it.

Alternatively, that fat, mumbling walrus can f**k off. Adult human beings should not need government permission to visit each other's houses.

At what point do we stop listening to them and start to carry on living our lives as normal? This message from the government just plays right in to the hands of the anti-vaxxers.

4 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

At what point do we stop listening to them and start to carry on living our lives as normal? This message from the government just plays right in to the hands of the anti-vaxxers.

We'll need them to open everything up 1st. 

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

It's in the media today.

AZ vaccine causes a small number of brain thrombosis deaths. There have been zero deaths from that condition amongst the similar number of people vaccinated with the other two vaccines. 

You're suddenly trusting the media? My, how convenient. 

I'm afraid this is yet another situation where you've looked at the general run of the thread (in this case vaccines absolutely cigaring their way through this virus) and decided to take a completely contrary position based an absolutely zero evidence to get yourself some attention.

Looking forward to your theories on Bill Gates and 5G masts*

(* not really)

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-holiday-destinations-abroad-to-be-graded-using-traffic-light-system-say-reports-12263366
A "traffic light" system for holidays would cause the complete collapse of the travel and tourism sector.
The threat of your holiday destination suddenly turning "amber" or "red" when you are away will be enough to put people off going. Who needs that type of stress?
Not everyone can WFH, and, even for those who can, being fired into a mandatory hotel quarantine and having to pay thousands because of "cases" is enough to put people off.
Yip even the perma optimistic Simon Calder on BBC this morning very down about prospects. Very few nations going to be on the quarantine free green list and double dose vaccine passport required to boot. Single dose will give you reduced testing and quarantine and the lists will be updated weekly so in effect despite a massively successful vaccine rollout it's going to be not a jot better than last summer but hey, all restrictions gone by mid June remember.

1 hour ago, budmiester1 said:

We can, and I’ve already made plans to, start living lives as normal in terms of visiting family/friends etc in our homes. We are in a ridiculously good position in terms of hospital numbers, but still ages away from being allowed inside with one other household so I’m taking that into my own hands and going home to visit my parents in a few weeks. But for all the businesses affected there’s nothing they can do but adhere to the restrictions unfortunately with all the costs that come with them.

39 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Sturgeon is clearly not an idiot, so I don’t believe that she doesn’t understand why the comparison is ludicrous, which makes that nonsense post even more infuriating.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Jason Leitch's comments re fans at the Euros have an air of 'a wee treat' about them.

Are we really not going to have any test events in the run up to this? I can actually picture the Hampden games having fans (around 20k) and then back to nothing / very little thereafter.

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Jason Leitch's comments re fans at the Euros have an air of 'a wee treat' about them.

Are we really not going to have any test events in the run up to this? I can actually picture the Hampden games having fans (around 20k) and then back to nothing / very little thereafter.

Hopefully not. What would they actually be testing for?

They used the word test last time to justify a ridiculously low number of fans, coupled with a hilariously high steward to fan ratio.

Just set a fan limit and let people go. 

You’d undoubtedly be going off your nut if we followed the English example of a 2300 crowd in Hampden for a Scottish Cup semi, made up of locals only for a match not involving local teams and requiring two negative tests before entry, and one after for every attendee.

Some people just want to be miserable.

53 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Chile are mainly using the Chinese CoronaVac vaccine are they not? It's got around 50% efficacy compared to the 90%+ of the Pfizer and AstraZeneca...

Might be an idea for Nicola to point that out, because all things like this will do is increase vaccine hesitancy ('what's the point if it makes no difference') and increase the feeling that Government's never really want to loosen restrictions. Tweets like this feel like they are coming from someone who doesn't realise the power her words hold. 

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

You’d undoubtedly be going off your nut if we followed the English example of a 2300 crowd in Hampden for a Scottish Cup semi, made up of locals only for a match not involving local teams and requiring two negative tests before entry, and one after for every attendee.

Some people just want to be miserable.

Rightfully so tbf. That's massive overkill.

If they really wanted to study the impact of outdoor transmission in a football stadium they could fill New Douglas Park with voluneers for a semi-final, on the provision that everyone afterwards self-isolates and takes two tests.

Link the results to seat number and check the proximity of any positives to see if any pattern is observed.

That's clearly not going to happen, but it would at least be a proper test.

Alternatively, they could just trust the data that shows the vaccine works (and we'll have an even better idea come May and June at just how well they work), set a crowd limit they are comfortable with, and let people start to make their own, informed, decisions about starting to live again. 

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Hopefully not. What would they actually be testing for?

They used the word test last time to justify a ridiculously low number of fans, coupled with a hilariously high steward to fan ratio.

Just set a fan limit and let people go. 

I don't disagree, but I'd have thought it odd that the first (I discount the pathetic 300 crowds at ICT and County) game with fans would be one with 20,000.

For all that though, I have a long held belief that the goal in all this is that the old firm and the national team do not suffer disproportionately v's the diddy teams. This turn of events would only serve to accentuate that.

23 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

We can, and I’ve already made plans to, start living lives as normal in terms of visiting family/friends etc in our homes. We are in a ridiculously good position in terms of hospital numbers, but still ages away from being allowed inside with one other household so I’m taking that into my own hands and going home to visit my parents in a few weeks. But for all the businesses affected there’s nothing they can do but adhere to the restrictions unfortunately with all the costs that come with them.

Sturgeon is clearly not an idiot, so I don’t believe that she doesn’t understand why the comparison is ludicrous, which makes that nonsense post even more infuriating.

Why on earth did the Scottish goverment ease restriction Slightly on good Friday only to immediately go into “please stay at home if you can this easter weekend”😆