Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The wife (NHS worker) is getting her first one tomorrow.  She had Covid back in December.  Did I read folk who have recovered from it are actually more protected that folk who have had one dose?  Something to do with the immune system creating stronger anti-bodies naturally than what once dose does?

i may be talking shite.

I think it's more that after the first dose, she'll be pretty well protected due to having had Covid already and therefore already having some antibodies. It's not as important for her to get the second dose as it is for people who've never had Covid.

a friend of mine (so how much of this is true) reckons he knows 3 people who have been vaccinated with first and maybe second dose and then got corona. They have no symptons. They were tested as others in family who havent had vaccine got corona.

I have 2 questions

Are you less likely to be infectious if you catch corona after being vaccinated. I presume just having no symptoms means by not coughing or sneezing you are less likely to spread it but are you also less infectious to others

My second question is, does the flu vaccine work in same way that you still can get that flu variant but you wont get symtpoms?

25 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There are many in the media that are enjoying the pandemic. It's easy pickings to write about and they don't have to look far to churn out 600 words, much of them a cut and paste job from previous articles. 

The way it's reported is irritating. Sensationalism is unfortunately par for the course, but the way it's written paints a false picture. The local rag here is bad for this, usually with "cases rise again". Well yes, that's what happens! Unless we have a zero day, the total number of cases will indeed rise. However this is always put across without context of what's happened. 

Less cases than yesterday? Cases rise again. 

Less cases than last week and rate per 100k stable or declining? Cases rise again. 

Cases numbers low over a period of time? Cases rise again. 

A bad day/week and there's an increase in overall cases and per 100k? Cases rise again. 

Infuriating. Maybe some people are less selective about language and interpret it differently, but it paints for me a continuing gloomy picture. 

Maybe I never looked deep enough before but I've noticed that our mainstream media, probably over the last 10 years or so, have become so amateurish and for want of a better word, pathetic.

It's as if they're incapable of reporting a news story without trying to dumb things down, add in their own spin and then connect some ridiculous "true life" experience to try and make it seem more sensational and hit "closer to home" as it were.

At times you'd be forgiven for thinking that they were being paid by companies or individuals to publish stories about them to drum up publicity and I'm convinced that the demise of many women's magazines has seen them incorporated into what we used to call a "newspaper" which is now nothing more than an amalgamation of "ok", "take a break" and the personal thoughts of the so called reporter.

The BBC is probably the worst of the lot, it really isn't a "news" channel anymore, it's more of a cross between a teenagers problem page and a mouthpiece for the "in crowd" in today's world of "celebrities", not to mention a political tool for certain individuals and organisations.

Like many of us here, I read Reuters and tend to watch Al Jazeera and Euronews while keeping up to date with the goings on in my favourite areas with catalannews and Polish media, however what strikes me is that they all report "real" news that puts the likes of the BBC to shame.

It's also always puzzled me how we get virtually no news at all from Europe but spend half of our News programmes talking about the USA and the other half on trivial nonsense from this country, ironically you can generally find more relevant and important UK news from the foreign networks than you can from our own which I suppose says it all.

Apologies for the lengthy rant, but they really really annoy me.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Maybe I never looked deep enough before but I've noticed that our mainstream media, probably over the last 10 years or so, have become so amateurish and for want of a better word, pathetic.

It's as if they're incapable of reporting a news story without trying to dumb things down, add in their own spin and then connect some ridiculous "true life" experience to try and make it seem more sensational and hit "closer to home" as it were.

At times you'd be forgiven for thinking that they were being paid by companies or individuals to publish stories about them to drum up publicity and I'm convinced that the demise of many women's magazines has seen them incorporated into what we used to call a "newspaper" which is now nothing more than an amalgamation of "ok", "take a break" and the personal thoughts of the so called reporter.

The BBC is probably the worst of the lot, it really isn't a "news" channel anymore, it's more of a cross between a teenagers problem page and a mouthpiece for the "in crowd" in today's world of "celebrities", not to mention a political tool for certain individuals and organisations.

Like many of us here, I read Reuters and tend to watch Al Jazeera and Euronews while keeping up to date with the goings on in my favourite areas with catalannews and Polish media, however what strikes me is that they all report "real" news that puts the likes of the BBC to shame.

It's also always puzzled me how we get virtually no news at all from Europe but spend half of our News programmes talking about the USA and the other half on trivial nonsense from this country, ironically you can generally find more relevant and important UK news from the foreign networks than you can from our own which I suppose says it all.

Apologies for the lengthy rant, but they really really annoy me.

Nick Davis Book - Flat earth News - explains a lot of why news is in the sate it is nowadays

3 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Nick Davis Book - Flat earth News - explains a lot of why news is in the sate it is nowadays

I'll check it out.

My own thoughts are that like politics it's all become reactive as opposed to proactive which is a very dangerous route to go down, but i'm afraid is what happens when money, power, ratings and fear of failure trumps everything else.

Just now, WATTOO said:

I'll check it out.

My own thoughts are that like politics it's all become reactive as opposed to proactive which is a very dangerous route to go down, but i'm afraid is what happens when money, power, ratings and fear of failure trumps everything else.

To summarise the book a bit, theres a variety of reasons but massive cutbacks at news organisations means no one is checking the facts any more, or very very few, a story reported in one place will be churned out by every other news outlet (Churnalism he was calling it) add in instant news, agendas. Agenda's he reckoned every country had a broadsheet linked to its secret services and named then for quite a few

28 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Jason Leitch losing the plot with Rangers fans planning to march in celebration of their first league title.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19299319.jason-leitch-fires-warning-rangers-fan-title-march-plans-amid-spike-covid-infections/

Meh GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I certainly have no love for either of the OF, but I have no gripes about this supposed march.  Theres been numerous outdoor gatherings over the last year (BLM/statue wars/Sarah Everard etc) and none have caused any great rise in infections. New York had a report the other day about how outdoor transmission accounted for less than 1% of cases. Ireland previously said the same thing. JL and HY cant single out Rangers for condemnation and then not do the same about the Palestine gatherings theres been and will be in George Square 

38 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

a friend of mine (so how much of this is true) reckons he knows 3 people who have been vaccinated with first and maybe second dose and then got corona. They have no symptons. They were tested as others in family who havent had vaccine got corona.

I have 2 questions

Are you less likely to be infectious if you catch corona after being vaccinated. I presume just having no symptoms means by not coughing or sneezing you are less likely to spread it but are you also less infectious to others

My second question is, does the flu vaccine work in same way that you still can get that flu variant but you wont get symtpoms?

Tucked away in the following article is some actual data about breakthrough infections.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57084572

"Of the 95 million people fully vaccinated in the US until 26 April, 9,045 developed breakthrough infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Eight hundred and thirty five (9%) were hospitalised and 132 (1%) died. Nearly a third of the hospitalised patients and 15% of the deaths were reported as "asymptomatic or not related to Covid-19"."

The way the present the percentages (as a percentage of the people re-infected is of course designed to be sensationalist.

If you take the numbers of people hospitalised/fatalities as a percentage of the 95m people fully vaccinated (and strip out the cases not related to covid) the odds are infinitesimal.  approx 1 in 10,000 get a breakthrough infection, less than 1 in 100,000 end up in hospital and slightly over 1 in a million unfortunately die.

Jason Leitch losing the plot with Rangers fans planning to march in celebration of their first league title.
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19299319.jason-leitch-fires-warning-rangers-fan-title-march-plans-amid-spike-covid-infections/
giphy.gif&key=4d08d5730072dff6d410dd1d467c82589a7e5084e15ae360a67f2295d275b040

Tbf this will be what, the third time Rangers fans have celebrated en masse? There’s not really any need for it. They celebrated outside Ibrox, then they celebrated in George Square another time. Taking the piss IMO

Union Bears haven't had their turn to celebrate.
I'm taking this as every Rangers supporters group will want their turn to celebrate if they haven't done so already.
Still meh about it all.
However Jason Leitch losing the plot over not being in control is mildly entertaining.
I'm not sure the article quoted constitutes "losing the plot". Reading it he has said publicly "don't do it" and is basically just reiterating what RFC officially have said to the fans group. It's a piece of antagonistic nonsense from the supporters group basically.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, Snafu said:
Union Bears haven't had their turn to celebrate.
I'm taking this as every Rangers supporters group will want their turn to celebrate if they haven't done so already.
Still meh about it all.
However Jason Leitch losing the plot over not being in control is mildly entertaining.

I'm not sure the article quoted constitutes "losing the plot". Reading it he has said publicly "don't do it" and is basically just reiterating what RFC officially have said to the fans group. It's a piece of antagonistic nonsense from the supporters group basically.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a bit of Leitch bashing.

I've seen Gerard appealing to the fans not to march on TV using stronger rhetoric than is quoted in that article. I suspect they all realise the threat is more to public order than public health.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
2 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I've seen Gerard appealing to the fans not to march on TV using stronger rhetoric than is quoted in that article.

Even Murdo Fraser has done the same on Twitter.

But...  CLOWNSHOES!