Coronavirus (COVID-19)

46 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, virginton said:

They most certainly won't be the only ones in that boat if it pans out like they seem to think it will.

Well on the one hand we have the interests of the global travel industry and the regional economies of much of southern Europe and on the other we have 'Mr Cooper', whose two-bob online travel company is already being mauled by the shark tank conditions. 

I'd be taking this claim with a shovel of salt then. 

Edited by vikingTON

36 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
50 minutes ago, virginton said:
This is tear-stained bluster for 'as a wee diddy travel outfit, we'd be on the hook for this later and don't have the working capital to cope'. 

They most certainly won't be the only ones in that boat if it pans out like they seem to think it will.

I’m cancelling my holiday then seeing as that boy seem to think there may be an issue with it.  

I’ll take his word that he’s itk on the political and healthcare thinking across Europe and clearly is far more informed than us plebs who only have access to the actual news.

How much do you spend in a month on laundry tablets to wash all the pish out of your knickers?

COVID-19 can infect tissue in the penis and potentially contribute to erectile dysfunction, researchers have found.

A scientific research paper published in the World Journal of Men's Health observed the difference in tissue composition between men who had contracted the disease and men who had not.

COVID can cause damage to blood vessels, which in turn can damage parts of the body the vessels supply, including the sponge-like tissue in the penis.

Ranjith Ramasamy, associate professor and director of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine's reproductive urology program led the study.

He said that erectile dysfunction "could be an adverse effect of the virus".

Advertisement

It focused on four men who were having penile prosthesis surgery for erectile dysfunction

13 hours ago, G51 said:

It’s very possible that the Indian variant is more transmissible. 

But the vaccines still beat it.

Has anyone asked Devi’s advice for this variant? 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

Caught a bit of the news there and mewing about Glasgow case numbers and the “Indian variant” in Bolton. All that should matter now is death numbers, perhaps ICU. Case numbers should be irrelevant. Seems there’s certain folk out there wanting to kick the can further down the road and eek out restrictions. Truly bizarre 

In Scotland the last of the over 50's, vulnerable and carers will be vaccinated with their 2nd jag by the end of June.

In effect those most likely to be hospitalised and die will be fully protected by the vaccines by the time all restrictions get in the bin?

Perfect.

Probably a few reasons India wasn't red listed sooner. 

The Indian variant was only designated as a variant of concern last week by PHE, and I think the WHO has designated it now as well. There are actually three Indian variants, although the other two don't seem to be worrying anyone. Although their cases were rising too, the rate per 100k wasn't especially alarming due to the country's population. 

I don't think a variant being discovered is grounds for a banning and hotel quarantine enforced on arrival for those still eligible to enter on nationality/residence grounds. If it was that would be Brits largely banned again from foreign countries due to the Highland variant (after all, we just don't know!!! ). 

The third reason is of course political sensitivity since Johnson was supposed to visit. To what extent this drove the reluctance we'll never know. 

Its been alluded to of late on here, but this time I feel like I am myself noticing a definite pattern of negative news accompanying loosenings. I'm sure this could be easily correlated by someone who could be arsed

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Its been alluded to of late on here, but this time I feel like I am myself noticing a definite pattern of negative news accompanying loosenings. I'm sure this could be easily correlated by someone who could be arsed

Is it the media being deliberately negative or government leaking negative news stories as they open up on purpose? Probably a bit of both?

BBC had a behavioural psychologist on last week who advises government on Covid restrictions/messaging and he said himself that fundamentally the public needed to feel they were at risk to follow guidelines, a mindset that is reducing as restrictions loosen. So it's clear they've thought of this and are taking steps to ensure people don't just abandon it.

The wife (NHS worker) is getting her first one tomorrow.  She had Covid back in December.  Did I read folk who have recovered from it are actually more protected that folk who have had one dose?  Something to do with the immune system creating stronger anti-bodies naturally than what once dose does?

i may be talking shite.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The wife (NHS worker) is getting her first one tomorrow.  She had Covid back in December.  Did I read folk who have recovered from it are actually more protected that folk who have had one dose?  Something to do with the immune system creating stronger anti-bodies naturally than what once dose does?

i may be talking shite.

I think that is considering likely but it's not been proven, so people who've had it are still getting the vaccine.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

In Scotland the last of the over 50's, vulnerable and carers will be vaccinated with their 2nd jag by the end of June.

And then we shall be free,  FREE, I say.

Or I shall be tutting loudly and moaning on forums and the like.

Starting to sound like we're being set up for another round of total farce here. Face mask roulette to start us off and probably a series of haphazard local restrictions to follow. Hopefully lessons have been learned

Interesting that schools are in particular being noted for the Indian variant outbreaks. Highly encouraging, however, that the rise is not being noticed in the mostly vaccinated populations. Early days of course but this continues to show that the vaccines do work and hopefully this will be recognised and taken into account. 

How much longer are we going to keep up the charade when it comes to variants? It's funny how one always comes to the fore when there's been too much good news or a loosening of restrictions is due.

The Indian variant will go the same way as the South African, Brazilian and Kent variants and have its baws booted by the vaccine. It'll be old news in a month and replaced by the Mozambique variant just in time for the final easing of restrictions.

12 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Even Jason Leitch mentioned to the BBC this evening when they were saying Glasgow is at 58 per 100k so that's level 3 that it is one of a basket of measures. Hospital numbers are low, mortality is low, positivity is Low. 

Media really need to stop this absolute focus on positive cases. 

Part of this is the use of the word "cases" Cases implies a much more serious level of medical problem, whereas most of these folk will feel mildly ill or have no symptoms at all. 

Catch a cold, catch the flu, a case of having legs amputated, a case of covid...it just doesn't fit right. 

Guest bernardblack
Just now, scottsdad said:

Part of this is the use of the word "cases" Cases implies a much more serious level of medical problem, whereas most of these folk will feel mildly ill or have no symptoms at all. 

Catch a cold, catch the flu, a case of having legs amputated, a case of covid...it just doesn't fit right. 

This......“cases have tripled in area X”

So what? That doesn’t actually mean anything. Could have tripled from 2 to 6....or it could mean there’s been no change in hospitalisation numbers.

It’s mainstream journalism pish. 

There are many in the media that are enjoying the pandemic. It's easy pickings to write about and they don't have to look far to churn out 600 words, much of them a cut and paste job from previous articles. 

The way it's reported is irritating. Sensationalism is unfortunately par for the course, but the way it's written paints a false picture. The local rag here is bad for this, usually with "cases rise again". Well yes, that's what happens! Unless we have a zero day, the total number of cases will indeed rise. However this is always put across without context of what's happened. 

Less cases than yesterday? Cases rise again. 

Less cases than last week and rate per 100k stable or declining? Cases rise again. 

Cases numbers low over a period of time? Cases rise again. 

A bad day/week and there's an increase in overall cases and per 100k? Cases rise again. 

Infuriating. Maybe some people are less selective about language and interpret it differently, but it paints for me a continuing gloomy picture.