Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

cases don't matter if 99% of them are just a wee tough of the sniffles . thats what vaccines are for.

mate in his 50s with asthma recently had covid, he'd had his first vaccine . felt a bit shit but nothing serious, wife and kids tested negative the whole time .

Hopefully so. I'm just so done with restrictions and can't be bothered with this nonsense again! When did Glasgow go into the higher '2 week' circuit breaker. Was it not end of October or something ridiculous like that? 

Vaccine progress seems generally slower in Glasgow too. Wonder if there is a case for hitting vaccines harder in the worst local authorities for cases now the major risk groups are pretty much done? 

22 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

I’m amazed the rising numbers in Glasgow weren’t mentioned in the briefing yesterday. They must be quite confident it wouldn’t affect hospital numbers?

Moray is/was supposed to be out of control, community transmission, whereas I guess Glasgow numbers are still small enough that the excess might still relate to some workplace/school orientated outbreaks.

Hopefully so. I'm just so done with restrictions and can't be bothered with this nonsense again! When did Glasgow go into the higher '2 week' circuit breaker. Was it not end of October or something ridiculous like that? 
Vaccine progress seems generally slower in Glasgow too. Wonder if there is a case for hitting vaccines harder in the worst local authorities for cases now the major risk groups are pretty much done? 
I'm sort of feeling the same way. Cases shouldn't be the deciding factor they once were and politicians need to realise that. I'm from Lanarkshire and while it's been shite being bounced between levels 3 and 4 for months, it was just about understandable given the high case numbers and the correlation between cases and hospitalisations at the time.

We're now well into a vaccine program which appears to be working better than anyone expected. It's never been a secret that the vaccine won't prevent covid but it will reduce the symptoms to nothing more than a bad cold for most people. If it's a case of Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Moray or wherever having to live between levels 3 or (God forbid) 4 because some people feel a bit unwell then the games a bogey as far as I'm concerned.

13 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Vaccine progress is probably mainly slower due to the age profile of the city. A slight acceleration in the region wouldn't be the worst thing now just to halt the case numbers as much as anything.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

The rises in Glasgow are so fucking annoying. I can just see the restrictions coming back, followed by Renfrewshire/Lanarkshire and we're back where we were. I'm so pissed with the whole thing right now. 

They've been trying to get cases down in Pollokshields areas for ages as it was bad earlier in the year too. No idea how it continues to be so bad. 

Large ethnic minority population in the 'shields. Similar trends among areas of outbreaks elsewhere in the UK. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, s_dog said:
It appears Wales are using up more of their stock of vaccines, whereas the rest of the UK is being a little more cautious, keeping enough in reserve so that they don't run out for second doses if there's any unexpected drop in supplies.
Easy enough for the Scottish Government to ok more vaccines to push ahead with first doses for everyone under 40 in somewhere like Moray, quite a big undertaking if they were to do the same in Greater Glasgow area.

Still no appointment for 1st dose for the majority of 45-49yo yet !

Do you mean in the Greater Glasgow area? I know a few people in Glasgow itself who've had their jags a week or two ago, though I do also know someone in their late 50's who hasn't had his yet, but I keep telling him to phone them up as he's clearly fallen off their list! Overall the 40-49 age group is apparently at 58% had their first dose & according to Travelling Tabby, they've done 80k first doses in this age group in the past week, far more than any other (next highest is 40k second doses for the 65-69 age group).

Do you mean in the Greater Glasgow area? I know a few people in Glasgow itself who've had their jags a week or two ago, though I do also know someone in their late 50's who hasn't had his yet, but I keep telling him to phone them up as he's clearly fallen off their list! Overall the 40-49 age group is apparently at 58% had their first dose & according to Travelling Tabby, they've done 80k first doses in this age group in the past week, far more than any other (next highest is 40k second doses for the 65-69 age group).
South Ayrshire. Virtually none of the 40-49 cohort at my work have even had the blue envelope yet. Oddly despite the same NHS board East Ayrshire seems further on.

Radio there saying there was a stampede by Indians with UK nationality but who hadn't actually been living in the UK to get back into the UK in the days and hours after the red list announcement basically to take advantage of NHS and escape the escalating pandemic in India. It is thought this may be fuelling spikes over London, Lancashire and Yorkshire and many who didn't actually have "roots" in the UK then dispersed the length and breadth to live with family members awaiting the situation in India to improve to return. Sounds like an ideal spreader event.

ETA as a footnote in that article apparently a lot of the returnees were doctors and other senior medical workers who basically just upped and left rather than staying to treat people in India. Money talks I suppose but pretty poor if true.

Seems strange @Billy Jean King, considering the vaccination figures have South Ayrshire at 69.8 and East Ayrshire at 68%?

One good thing to note about the recent case rises, they appear to be mostly in the unvaccinated groups. 

From travellingtabby

Untitled-1.jpg.c75dde6e39016d68e39241a2dae691a6.jpg

Edited to add:

Also, I see the BBC news website now have something about the concern in case numbers in Glasgow including the fact there's a suspicion it's related to the India variant, so maybe some of those people returning from India have also ended up in Glasgow? It was mentioned at the time of the UK Government putting India on the red list that they should have done it sooner, and not left it for a few days after the announcement before putting the rules in place. 

Edited by s_dog

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Large ethnic minority population in the 'shields. Similar trends among areas of outbreaks elsewhere in the UK. 

Socio-economic issues at play here as well, sadly not unrelated to what you have posted. 

If there are specific outbreaks in certain communities, knowing now that the vaccines have a 66% to 75% reduction in transmission, would it not make sense to re-prioritise those communities and surrounding areas to build up a denser shield  of low transmission to better prevent spread?

47 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Radio there saying there was a stampede by Indians with UK nationality but who hadn't actually been living in the UK to get back into the UK in the days and hours after the red list announcement basically to take advantage of NHS and escape the escalating pandemic in India. It is thought this may be fuelling spikes over London, Lancashire and Yorkshire and many who didn't actually have "roots" in the UK then dispersed the length and breadth to live with family members awaiting the situation in India to improve to return. Sounds like an ideal spreader event.

ETA as a footnote in that article apparently a lot of the returnees were doctors and other senior medical workers who basically just upped and left rather than staying to treat people in India. Money talks I suppose but pretty poor if true.

I don't really want to cast judgement here on people who made a journey that they were perfectly entitled to make, but those in the medical profession abandoning India like that ought to hang their heads in shame.

It's not as if the NHS is just going to offer them a job on arrival either. 

If there are specific outbreaks in certain communities, knowing now that the vaccines have a 66% to 75% reduction in transmission, would it not make sense to re-prioritise those communities and surrounding areas to build up a denser shield  of low transmission to better prevent spread?

Think this is what Greater Manchester are doing. Would be a good idea here.

Think this is what Greater Manchester are doing. Would be a good idea here.

3 hours ago, Paco said:

59% of all 40-50 year olds have received the vaccine, so I’d wager the vast majority of 45-49 year olds have had it in their arms let alone waiting for an appointment.

Progress in this group has been painfully slow though. Second doses really screwing us.

Still waiting on word and same goes for 8 of my pals in same age category, spread throughout NA, SA and NL.