Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is it a Glasgow flight? Quite a few tour operators are consolidating to Manchester etc due to the Scottish government being a bit flakier than others. 

Utterly desperate for it to be a “Scottish” problem. Turns out it’s not. How sad. 

Heads need to roll if the mewling over the 'Indian' variant turns out to largely be a non-event, as expected. These alarmist ghouls have the fucking country paralysed because of their 'maybes' and 'don't knows', along with the lack of risk acceptance and need to take responsibility.

Fantastic stuff for all those 'progressive' types out there making sure to blame the big bad 'Indian' variant. Remember, all those who, before they lost their minds to this shan virus, never would have helped enabled things like this... but they have.
Posted at 18:24

Bolton resident tells of discrimination

c2293060-8218-4892-b1ef-1c3f540ae683.png&key=54ef7f3a415f26be62e1f2779fa0054db4d56ed1015bc6f51336f4c9b8086d5b

BBC Radio 5 Live

Bolton resident Sushma has had both her vaccines.

She told 5 Live Breakfast about her experiences of racism as a British Indian woman in an area where the Covid Indian variant is causing a spike in cases.

"Nobody can differentiate whether you’re Pakistani, Indian, Banglandeshi," she said. "They see an Asian person and go: ‘It’s because of you lot.'

"When you go into a supermarket...people jump when they come near you thinking: ‘She’s Asian so she’s going to give me something.'

"There's a lot of it going around at the moment: 'Because you're Indian you brought this variant into the town.' That's not true," added Shushma.

Listen to 5 Live on the free BBC Sounds app.

Not surprised given that large parts of the North of England are racist gammony hellholes.

Heads need to roll if the mewling over the 'Indian' variant turns out to largely be a non-event, as expected. These alarmist ghouls have the fucking country paralysed because of their 'maybes' and 'don't knows', along with the lack of risk acceptance and need to take responsibility.

The headline writers?

One of my biggest gripes is the tabloidisation of our news - where the headline does not match the actual story.

There was one last week where a virologist had said they would need to see the data on the vaccines efficacy against the Indian variant but that it seemed that it was effective. I think that's fair enough comment and something that would not particularly alarm me.

This was turned into a screaming headline about the vaccine not being able to deal with the Indian variant.

Some old c**t on GMB (professor Ashton) suggesting going on holiday to the Faeroes, South Georgia, St. Helena or the Falklands and let professionals like travel shows go to risky places like Greece and we can 'participate virtually'. 

What a stupid old throbber. I actually shouted 'f**k off' at the telly. These people are so far beyond parody I reckon this is all an elaborate piss take and Noel Edmunds is fucking Gotcha-ing the lot of us. 

9 hours ago, Empty It said:
9 hours ago, Scosha said:
My girlfriend’s mum is exactly like this. Does my fucking head in. 

I know a few people like this and they're almost exclusively 50+, married and no social life whatsoever so a lockdown doesn't really hinder them. Selfish b*****ds as they're more commonly known.

The great irony is that these are probably the same type of people who subscribe to that ridiculous 'Keep calm and carry on' pish whilst screaming hysterically.

Far from a surprise but you would hope that if England opens stadiums at 50%+ capacity for next season, SG will be pressured into doing the same. 
There should be 100% capacity crowds after 21 June in England not 50% come August. As an aside, that 1st response Jesus wept !

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
25 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:
Far from a surprise but you would hope that if England opens stadiums at 50%+ capacity for next season, SG will be pressured into doing the same. 

There should be 100% capacity crowds after 21 June in England not 50% come August. As an aside, that 1st response Jesus wept !

Yeah, indeed. Presumably extra tickets will be made available for the Wembley Euros games if they do relax all restrictions.

Apologies if this is common knowledge or was posted in here already, but there's a website where you can check your appointment if you've not had an envelope yet:

https://invitations.vacs.nhs.scot/

I filled out my details last night, as did my other half.  I'm 31, she's 32 with no health concerns and we both have appointments for next week at the same time. Couple pals did it as well and seems like a good chunk of over 30s will be done in the next week or two in Edinburgh.  Apparently (total hear-say of course) there are problems with the blue envelope approach.  If true, I'm not sure why they are doubling down on sticking with it.  Snail mail is not the most efficient way (in terms of time or cost) to reach the demographic of the people they are now trying to vaccinate.  

Edited by super_carson

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

I really despair at the standard of the journalism in this county, the fourth estate is now a busted flush.

Where are the serious questions.  Why aren't they asking about the protect the NHS rhetoric and why it's not under pressure so why restrictions?

Why are they not querying why the draconian tiers are more punitive than last year when there was no vaccines?

Why aren't they querying why the government are ignoring the reports on outside transmission being practically zero?

Why aren't they asking about why the hospitality sector and sports fans are being punished?

Why aren't they asking why evidence based reports on the efficacy of the vaccines are never mentioned?

Why are they not asking why is there an obsession with case numbers when the most vulnerable have been jabbed?

They're an absolute joke as is the cautious, punitive approach being taken

Aye but we just don't know,  boring rhetoric that is there to deflect from sheer cluelessness.

Because they profit from people reading and buying their content suggesting that its the end times. 

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I really despair at the standard of the journalism in this county, the fourth estate is now a busted flush.

Where are the serious questions.  Why aren't they asking about the protect the NHS rhetoric and why it's not under pressure so why restrictions?

Why are they not querying why the draconian tiers are more punitive than last year when there was no vaccines?

Why aren't they querying why the government are ignoring the reports on outside transmission being practically zero?

Why aren't they asking about why the hospitality sector and sports fans are being punished?

Why aren't they asking why evidence based reports on the efficacy of the vaccines are never mentioned?

Why are they not asking why is there an obsession with case numbers when the most vulnerable have been jabbed?

Aye but we just don't know,  boring rhetoric that is there to deflect from sheer cluelessness.

I am getting to the point of looking out tinfoil to create some headgear. 

I haven't heard any remotely questioning agenda at all, if you were in a bubble from this time last year to now you would switch on your TV and think that absolutely nothing has changed and things are potentially getting worse. 

35 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
51 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Yeah the point worth calling out there is England opening at 50% capacity and not Scotland having no plan to speak of 🤨

I know a few people have already mentioned it previously, but it's the haphazard and apparently blasé attitude to implementing restrictions that has me astonished. Huge sectors of the economy are shut down on a whim, causing significant social and economic problems for many. Not only does this happen but people are then repeatedly lied to as to how long this will be for. Three weeks to save the NHS, two week circuit breaker etc. Utter lies. Destructive lies, in fact. 

Even opening up is never an easy thing. Glasgow establishments have been shafted at short notice and the travel sector will similarly have its knees cut off whilst Johnson undermines it with his words in the meantime. Then there's the Indian variant panic that's currently ongoing. 

This isn't something like banning creosote or plastic straws, there are catastrophic impacts on people's lives from these restrictions. This is seldom acknowledged. 

Edited by Michael W

17 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Apologies if this is common knowledge or was posted in here already, but there's a website where you can check your appointment if you've not had an envelope yet:

https://invitations.vacs.nhs.scot/

I filled out my details last night, as did my other half.  I'm 31, she's 32 with no health concerns and we both have appointments for next week at the same time. Couple pals did it as well and seems like a good chunk of over 30s will be done in the next week or two in Edinburgh.  Apparently (total hear-say of course) there are problems with the blue envelope approach.  If true, I'm not sure why they are doubling down on sticking with it.  Snail mail is not the most efficient way (in terms of time or cost) to reach the demographic of the people they are now trying to vaccinate.  

Just did this now and I'm next Friday so if blue envelope not here by this Friday I'm calling the whole thing a fucking shambles 

18 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

As Polly Toynbee's insane column pointed to yesterday, journalists don't care about any of these questions because they're WFH and already have their holiday cottage booked up for the summer.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

As Polly Toynbee's insane column pointed to yesterday, journalists don't care about any of these questions because they're WFH and already have their holiday cottage booked up for the summer.

Wish I had a holiday cottage 🙁

21 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I am getting to the point of looking out tinfoil to create some headgear. 

I haven't heard any remotely questioning agenda at all, if you were in a bubble from this time last year to now you would switch on your TV and think that absolutely nothing has changed and things are potentially getting worse. 

If the opposition had any guts they'd be questioning what's happening as well but they're either too useless,  too paralysed by fear or too paralysed by the opinion polls to do what they're supposed to do and hold government policies to account.

That's on both sides of the border as well.