Coronavirus (COVID-19)

45 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Less likely to get it and of course spread it if you do. 

And since we are treated to a daily dose of You can still get it if you're vaccinated!!!!!!11 from the Lovejoys and Indie SAGE weirdos, another one right in the eye for them to cling onto and demand restrictions are maintained. 

Anti-vaxxers 🤝🏻 Kiddy-on SAGE and blue heart emoji Lovejoy weirdos

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Less likely to get it and of course spread it if you do. 

And since we are treated to a daily dose of You can still get it if you're vaccinated!!!!!!11 from the Lovejoys and Indie SAGE weirdos, another one right in the eye for them to cling onto and demand restrictions are maintained. 

My sister (double dosed) tested positive at the weekend. 

There is an issue with expectations and the vaccines. Some folk think it means you must be 100% safe if you have it, you can't catch it, get ill from it and you can't die from it. Nonsense of course - it just reduces your chances of these things by about 95%. Doesn't stop the newspapers churning out fear with headlines like "Senga, aged 66, dies from Covid AFTER being vaccinated" with pictures of Senga holding a baby.

I read an interesting statistic at the weekend - a double vaccinated 80 year old has the same chance of dying from covid as an unvaccinated 50 year old as age is still the determining factor. 

Just now, scottsdad said:

There is an issue with expectations and the vaccines. Some folk think it means you must be 100% safe if you have it, you can't catch it, get ill from it and you can't die from it. Nonsense of course - it just reduces your chances of these things by about 95%. Doesn't stop the newspapers churning out fear with headlines like "Senga, aged 66, dies from Covid AFTER being vaccinated" with pictures of Senga holding a baby.

I read an interesting statistic at the weekend - a double vaccinated 80 year old has the same chance of dying from covid as an unvaccinated 50 year old as age is still the determining factor. 

Hang on, is the baby Senga's? 

Granny Danger been on the razzle again IMO

If you are double dosed would the likelihood of developing a severe infection from COVID not be reduced? It's not going to make you immune to catching it just better prepared and therefore if you do get it your body will, hopefully, get it directed into the sea? :unsure:

Just now, RiG said:

If you are double dosed would the likelihood of developing a severe infection from COVID not be reduced? It's not going to make you immune to catching it just better prepared and therefore if you do get it your body will, hopefully, get it directed into the sea? :unsure:

If you are double-dosed the chances of you going into hospital is near rock bottom. The likelihood of you passing it on, even if you do become 'infected', is also significantly reduced. Utter shite messaging from the 'public health experts' is the reason there is so much confusion over this.

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Serious illness and death appears to be reduced by significantly more than 95%.

Aside from that, I agree. Vaccines are not foolproof, nor were they ever designed to be but they have done almost all heavy lifting that has reduced the effects to extremely mild in all but a small handful of cases.

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I fully agree with you. I also wish your sister a swift recovery. 

We were told at the start that the first generation vaccines would not end Covid and that an efficacy of over 50% would be a huge achievement. That several vaccines demonstrated an efficacy well above this therefore represents a miracle. The current UK case rates are real world evidence that they work as well. We were also aiming for these vaccines to basically prevent death and serious illness, rather than stop covid: that was the baseline aim. 

But the usual suspects keep shifting the goalposts. You've been double jagged, but you can still get it - restrictions must stay. Every death is a avoidable (Deepti Gurdasani). Nothing is enough for them and they will continue to kick and scream to prevent a return to normality. You can still get it, variants, children are getting it and spreading it (but let's not vaccinate them coz reasons), we don't know how long protection lasts. They will never, ever, let go. 

We know some people will still get it and expected as much. We now have vaccines that achieve more than we had ever imagined for a first set, but this isn't enough seemingly. It's a disgrace that we've allowed the goalposts to be shifted in this manner. The vaccines work, they are doing a better job than we expected. Yes they do not entirely remove the possibility of getting covid, but they weren't expected to and are also highly effective at the two most important things, preventing death and hospitalisations. 

It's the narrative more than anything else that pisses me off. Always an excuse for the media personalities (the words of Sir Dave King, not me) to keep themselves in the limelight. 

Despite the headline, this is some good analysis, as ever, from Nick Triggle.

Analysis

Posted at 10:29

An early unlocking unlikely for England

d19ce0f2-3638-4e07-8f77-1111c9e11e39.jpg

Nick Triggle

Health Correspondent

An early full unlocking is almost certainly not going to happen, but ministers in England are increasingly confident 19 July will mark the end of social distancing restrictions.

The talk is all about encouraging data. But with infection levels climbing rapidly how can that be?

The key is in the picture emerging with hospital cases and deaths.

image.gif.e4e9400951822b641645789d53343a5e.gif68a36b21-7fab-4214-af79-f9084fcdba5b.png
Copyright: BBC

When the delay to full unlock was announced, infection levels had just started rising and could within weeks reach January levels.

The concern among government scientists was this could translate to high levels of serious illness that could even at a stretch overwhelm the NHS.

The past few weeks have provided confidence that is not going to be the case despite the rapid rises still being seen.

While hospital cases and deaths are rising, they are at a much much lower level than before.

image.gif.9c0dad240fcfd2fe784bfe3cb5db3488.gif7e6e36d1-0b75-47a6-b9f8-c483ba74b057.png
Copyright: BBC

Latest estimates for the infection fatality rate show the ratio of infections to deaths is 20 times lower than it was in the winter wave. Just 0.08 of cases result in a death.

That is better than the experts expected and illustrates just how important the vaccines have been.

image.gif

image.gif

3 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I'm having a splendid time so far in Yorkshire, everywhere is packed.  Folk having a good time, restaurants busy as are all attractions.  Great to see.

Give us a wave if you're passing - M1 J39ish.

3 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Haha very good, I'm currently working on a disguise to get into deepest Lancashire next week.  Don't want to upset Nikki and Jase.

The Yorkshire/Lancashire rivalry amuses me - I assumed it was a mutual dislike of equals before checking a map and realise its more like David Rappaport having beef with Andre the Giant. 

The English are fucking weird sometimes.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

12 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Sneezing like mad the day with a runny nose and the first thing my work say is - do a covid test, nothing do with the high pollen levels and the grass at work being cut this morning at all.

Same here. After years of putting up with hayfever, I know what's what. 

17 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Sneezing like mad the day with a runny nose and the first thing my work say is - do a covid test, nothing do with the high pollen levels and the grass at work being cut this morning at all.

Glad it’s not just me today - went outside and my eyes felt like they exploded. Long time since I’ve had it as bad as this.

I was at a wedding over the weekend - masks binned before it started and any semblance of distancing went as well. Only 16 people there but it was superb.

Surprisingly the symptoms of a weekend wedding aftermath are very similar to COVID…