Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

Japan putting restrictions on places serving alcohol to curb transmission and they declare their 4th state of emergency. Also looks like almost no spectators will be allowed in to see the events.

Can't believe they're still trying to flog this deed horse. The Olympics is utter shite at the best of times. Will be an unglorified Highland Games this time out.

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

Excellent news about the changes to the travel restrictions just hope the PCR tests come down in price to boost the travel industry.

Seems to be only for British people. Seems foreigners are still not allowed in. Unless I understand wrong

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Excellent news about the changes to the travel restrictions just hope the PCR tests come down in price to boost the travel industry.

It's a start and that's all it is. The requirement for a test before returning to the UK is an utter nonsense and a deterrent. Who wants the risk of being stranded abroad and the extra expense if you test positive, even if double vaxxed? A four day city break and you need to piss about with testing? This as we move into autumn and winter as well.

The day two PCR test upon return would just about be palatable if it was free or dirt cheap, but as it stands it's just continued profiteering for government mates and an absolute shite balance of risk.

1 hour ago, Turkmenbashi said:

My flatmate and his girlfriend both tested negative twice LFTs while both having they thought was a horrendous cold and were insisting to me that it was not covid. Only after both eventually taking a PCR it turns they were positive.

The UK's LFTs are absolutely useless, you'd be as well using a red/black bet on a roulette wheel to decide whether to get a proper test or not. 

It should be a straightforward route from having symptoms to getting a PCR test, instead of this gubbins and entirely misleading halfway house method. If you don't have symptoms and aren't in obvious close contact (family member, close work/social contact) then you shouldn't be tested at all. 

Second vaccine appointment through. Got it rescheduled to exactly 8 weeks after my original at the old mosque. Interestingly enough I didn’t see Louisa Jordan on the list of places to reschedule.

5 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Seems to be only for British people. Seems foreigners are still not allowed in. Unless I understand wrong

I think that's because our vaccine rates are so high.

It would be good if children under 18 were kept on the do not travel list last thing I need is weans ruining any flight or holiday that I want to take.

It's a start and that's all it is. The requirement for a test before returning to the UK is an utter nonsense and a deterrent. Who wants the risk of being stranded abroad and the extra expense if you test positive, even if double vaxxed? A four day city break and you need to piss about with testing? This as we move into autumn and winter as well.
The day two PCR test upon return would just about be palatable if it was free or dirt cheap, but as it stands it's just continued profiteering for government mates and an absolute shite balance of risk.
The testing before and after is what is putting me off going away any time soon.

It's not just the inconvenience but the additional cost to a holiday.

3 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

Second vaccine appointment through. Got it rescheduled to exactly 8 weeks after my original at the old mosque. Interestingly enough I didn’t see Louisa Jordan on the list of places to reschedule.

I know a few people like that, wonder if it's getting shut down for the preparations for the climate change summit. 

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The Highland games when it was on attracts thousands every year, many of them visitors to this country, what are you on about? :lol:

The Highlands Games aren't as 'prestigious' as the Olympics though, are they?

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think that's because our vaccine rates are so high.

It would be good if children under 18 were kept on the do not travel list last thing I need is weans ruining any flight or holiday that I want to take.

And most of Europe is catching up with us, using the exact same vaccines as us.

14 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Agreed. I'm this exact position. Contemplating whether the costs are worth it. Not too bothered about the antigen test to go to France, but it's the tests coming back that are annoying. I'll price it up and see where I get to. At least the first test for coming back is an antigen, but conservatively probably looking at £250-300 for two of us. 

Probably a bit daft on my part, really, but I hadn't considered the consequences of testing positive before returning. In short, stuck in an expensive city and would presumably need a place to isolate - I imagine hotels are well within their rights to tell me to f**k off in this case. 

Edited by Michael W

Four deaths of people who had tested positive for Covid-19 have been registered in Scotland in the past 24 hours.

2,802 new cases (8% of tests positive).

401 in hospital (+14)

38 people are in ICU (+4)

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Sturgeon just said mask wearing and social distancing will remain after July 19th.

Think the August date was more likely to be the big one for us on this front.

Not watching but is the briefing basically to say "behave yursels or you'll no get yer fitbaw"?

56 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I don't doubt there are cultural differences, but how can these places return to full economic activity with enforced social distancing measures and controls on movement?

In the case of Singapore and elsewhere they are. Sharperst decline in employment in over two decades, but borne by overseas workers. There has been a exodus of foreign workers the past 18 months, not necessarily a bad thing some locals may argue.

However, domestic employment is up, manufacturing output is up (significantly), GDP is up in Q1 against last year and expected growth is expected to be 4-6%. 

All while wearing masks, social distancing, WFH, etc.

China has been growing for some time now, although June has slowed, but being blamed on raw material shortages.

I have a friend running a company in Dongguan and despite heavy restrictions he is doing more work now than ever before.

Our location has went from 70+ onsite staff to around 10 (warehouse & quality), we have about 10 people stuck in Malaysia and working from home since the start of the lockdown and the rest working from home in Singapore and we maintained our budget last year and growing this year. Our China location had a fantastic year last year and even our Filipino location is doing very well and our Indian locations are having month on month record sales (despite being in Pune with some of the heaviest restrictions).

Not all rosey,  our Thai location is shit just now and Indonesia is pretty fucked.

There will be many factors to this of course, but the corloation between social distance measures and business output is not so clear.