Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

I get that, but my risk of being infected to a serious degree is limited by being vaccinated, if they want to take the risk then they can batter in but I will not be shedding a tear if they come to a sticky end. It is their choice & I personally choose to be as protected as I can possibly be while still getting on with my life.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on that.  I can think of at least one person here who has referred to a double-vaxed relative catching it so it’s still a risk.  Like you I am getting on with my life whilst following the rules and trying to act sensibly and responsibly.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it was a left wing Labour Government mandating it for the common good, and to allow those who for health reasons can't take the jag, to get out and about, would you reconsider?

I have the clown you quoted on ignore but he’s not the only poster who has try to frame this in a left v right political context.

Individual freedom is important, but arguing that individual rights supersede collective interests is definitely a right-of-centre position.  It’s not surprising that it’s the most rabid right-wing Tory MPs that are the biggest of any restrictions Johnson has put in place.

Covid cases continue to drop like a stone in both Scotland and the UK as a whole, all in the face of ever increasing social contact for months now. 'Vaccine passports' are simply not required for a return to pre-pandemic normality, not least because ~90% of the adult population will have had them anyway.

It's quite simple really.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Like you I am getting on with my life whilst following the rules and trying to act sensibly and responsibly.

That makes a change.  Early on in the pandemic you were the one that ignored the rules by driving your wife to the shops as she doesn't drive and you are incapable of doing the shopping iirc.

Bit of a brasser to now be critical of others when a) far more is known about the virus and b) the vast majority of the vulnerable have been vaccinated.

Edited by strichener

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

That makes a change.  Early on in the pandemic you were the one that ignored the rules by driving your wife to the shops as she doesn't drive and you are incapable of doing the shopping iirc.

Bit of a brasser to now be critical of others when a) far more is known about the virus and b) the vast majority of the vulnerable have been vaccinated.

It's just a continuation of what a substantial number of Posters have done on this thread from the off - "I am the protagonist of life and any reason I have to do what I want is justified and valid, while everyone else is scum/vermin who should behave exactly as I want them to".

Edited by Marshmallo

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The poster children of no rules, Florida and Texas, are now going rampant, about a third of new cases in America. Hospitalisation up 40% in a week.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/23/austin-stage4-covid-19-masks/

Picking a current snapshot in time is not the same as looking at the overall trend throughout the course of the pandemic. Delta will find its way to all US states and cause more grief for those with fewer people vaccinated - just look at the spike in cases we had despite our own sky high uptake. The factor that will determine the level of morbidity and death won't be face masks, it will be vaccination.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Summer time and school holidays all over Europe will obviously see a drop in cases.

As to the countries you've named that are all under 30 cases per 100k, the only one's I would trust to report accurately are Sweden, Norway and Austria.

Nice bit casual xenophobia there, bud. Most countries are only recording symptomatic infections as there hasn't been an obsession with testing like there is here. The UK is an outlier in this regard.

3 hours ago, strichener said:

This gets me every time it's brought up. WTF was wrong with driving his wife to the supermarket and staying in the car while she did the shopping? It's the kind of nit picking pseudo moralising shite Starmer would come up with to avoid speaking about anything meaningful.

P.S. Not in reference to the post above which appeared while I was posting this.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Picking a current snapshot in time is not the same as looking at the overall trend throughout the course of the pandemic

As you do when choosing Sweden as your particular poster child.

59 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The vaccinated are very well protected against the virus. It won't prevent all infections and some people will unfortunately still suffer serious illness, but the level of pretection from the vaccines is very high. The risk of facing a person with covid isn't the same as it was 7 or 8 months ago. 

Measles is a highly infectious disease, yet we aren't asking for proof of MMR vaccine status. The case numbers in the UK are thankfully small, but are undoubtedly a lot higher than they should be thanks to the junk Andrew Wakefield published. 

Similarly, a not insignificant amount of people die of flu every year and we aren't restricting access based on who has/hasn't had their flu jag. I know Covid isn't the flu, but if we're not taking the risk with Covid and demand proof of vaccine then you might want to ask why the risk of other illnesses seemingly is tolerable. 

Good job I haven't advocated any form of sanction against those refusing the vaccine then or these arguments would make me look like quite foolish 

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Measles is a highly infectious disease, yet we aren't asking for proof of MMR vaccine status. The case numbers in the UK are thankfully small, but are undoubtedly a lot higher than they should be thanks to the junk Andrew Wakefield published. 

It's been considered, and has been introduced in other countries.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/mmr-jab-measles-ban-children-school-gps-letter-government-vaccinations-a9097616.html

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As you do when choosing Sweden as your particular poster child.

I mean, the trend in Sweden throughout has also been clear - they have managed through without compromising their health system, all while not making it illegal to sit on park benches, harbouring a host of curtain twitchers, and generally avoiding torching their society.

It's funny seeing this same mewling by the blue heart crowd on Twitter regarding the overall UK data right now, despite test positivity falling alongside cases.

Let's just wait two weeks!

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I mean, the trend in Sweden throughout has also been clear - they have managed through without compromising their health system, all while not making it illegal to sit on park benches, harbouring a host of curtain twitchers, and generally avoiding torching their society.

I know you're fond of this park bench analogy, but Sweden have introduced all sorts of restrictions when the shit hit the fan, just as other countries. They're not like the Florida and Texas Governors  who see mask wearing as an insult to Lord Trump.

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This gets me every time it's brought up. WTF was wrong with driving his wife to the supermarket and staying in the car while she did the shopping? It's the kind of nit picking pseudo moralising shite Starmer would come up with, avoiding speaking about anything meaningful.

P.S. Not in reference to the post above which appeared while I was posting this.

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This gets me every time it's brought up. WTF was wrong with driving his wife to the supermarket and staying in the car while she did the shopping? It's the kind of nit picking pseudo moralising shite Starmer would come up with, avoiding speaking about anything meaningful.

Nice to see you jumping GD's defence here.  The rules at the time were for one person in the house to do the shopping if it was possible.  Guess you can explain to me why a grown adult cannot drive himself to the shops and do the shopping.  

It was quite clear that the decision was made to ignore the inconvenience of the rules and just do what ever he wanted.

All of this appears to be damn hipocrisy on your part when advocating for people to follow the rules  with posts such as 

"All  these measures, including masks, are about mitigation and reduction of transmission. The fact that none them are 100% effective does not make them worthless"

Edited by strichener

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Nice to see you jumping GD's defence here.  The rules at the time were for one person in the house to do the shopping if it was possible.  Guess you can explain to me why a grown adult cannot drive himself to the shops and do the shopping.  

It was quite clear that the decision was made to ignore the inconvenience of the rules and just do what ever he wanted.

All of this appears to be damn hipocrisy when advocating for people to follow the rules  with posts such as 

"All  these measures, including masks, are about mitigation and reduction of transmission. The fact that none them are 100% effective does not make them worthless"

Yeah, that’s what happened.  HTH.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

All of this appears to be damn hipocrisy when advocating for people to follow the rules  with posts such as 

Hypocrisy? You can't even spell hypocrisy! :saddam