Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Im planning travelling in Sept/Oct to Scotland, havent been through an airport for 2 years. Thanks to posters on here I got my head round whats required test wise etc. So keeping an eye on that if it changes or not. Does anyone else planning a trip get the concerns running through the head every so often. Not so much for myself (obviously I dont want to get ill) but more for others travelling with and we will be visiting. 

Reading the papers desont help I must admit

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Not even a year!

It's almost as if governments want to put an end to mass foreign travel.....

This is where the Aviation and Travel industries need to make a stand as up until now it's just been "statements" which are critical of the Governments strategy (whatever that actually is).

I have been noticing that Government ministers, politicians, BBC employees and various so called "celebrities" seem to be travelling abroad on holiday as normal while telling us all we should stay at home which would lead you to believe that this two tier society for travel has indeed come to pass as many feared it might.

There really needs to be coordinated action taken on this as most of the population can't afford the costs of these idiotic tests, nor could they afford either the time or money if having to quarantine for 10 days.

The real question is WHY are the UK taking this stance when nobody else is, especially when our covid rates are worse and have been consistently worse than the rest of Europe ?

Bottom line is that there's no argument, reason nor excuse for this utter nonsense other than profiteering or keeping us locked up on this God forsaken insular Island of doom for reasons which haven't become clear as yet !!

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Not even a year!

It's almost as if governments want to put an end to mass foreign travel.....

Erm yes, the government of *checks notes* Croatia is very much determined to end mass foreign travel. Tourism makes up 20 fucking percent of its annual GDP, but the lizards at the World Economic Forum take priority!

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm yes, the government of *checks notes* Croatia is very much determined to end mass foreign travel. Tourism makes up 20 fucking percent of its annual GDP, but the lizards at the World Economic Forum take priority!

It's almost like governments have never tombola'd their way through a crisis before. Once the dust truly starts to settle on the pandemic there will be stability again. In reality, there won't even be any sense in needing Covid vaccination as a requirement to travel seeing as immunity isn't sterilising, and everyone is eventually going to be infected and subsequently reinfected. It would be like making an influenza vaccine a requirement for travel. Pointless.

Asked about the figures, Prof Peter Openshaw told Times Radio: "I think it's very worrying. This is a very large number.

"If you think, 34,000 people, that's a lot of people testing positive, and to be seeing over 100 deaths a day at this stage, you know before schools have gone back, while the weather is still relatively good, we're not back into winter yet.

"I think we're all really anxious about what's going to happen once we return to normality."

He added: "We're going into the winter with really very high levels of infection out there in the community and we just don't really know what's going to happen."

In other words, best we prepare for the next Lockdown........

Problem with 35,000 positive tests or 100K or whatever is the law says you must self isolate for 10 days.

Business again will suffer.

No law if you catch the Flue or fecking the pox of the local hooker.  At least then you feel shit.

They estimate 80% of future positive cases will be asymptomatic.

I have read no articles anywhere that talk about abolishing self isolation for the contaminated.

Is it to stay for ever ?

If so you would estimate everyone in the public sector factoring in about 20 covid days on top of their holidays.

Edited by superbigal

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

This is where the Aviation and Travel industries need to make a stand as up until now it's just been "statements" which are critical of the Governments strategy (whatever that actually is).

If you ignore the fact that the travel industry has already taken the government to court over the list system and failed, the above statement is 100% correct. 🤔

Edited by strichener

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Asked about the figures, Prof Peter Openshaw told Times Radio: "I think it's very worrying. This is a very large number.

"If you think, 34,000 people, that's a lot of people testing positive, and to be seeing over 100 deaths a day at this stage, you know before schools have gone back, while the weather is still relatively good, we're not back into winter yet.

"I think we're all really anxious about what's going to happen once we return to normality."

He added: "We're going into the winter with really very high levels of infection out there in the community and we just don't really know what's going to happen."

In other words, best we prepare for the next Lockdown........

He is a panic merchant and was saying the same nonsense prior to the July 19 opening down south. Maybe the scary 100-200K cases per day will happen at the peak this winter, or maybe it won't. But even 300-400 deaths per day during that peak period would be in line with bad influenza seasons we typically see on average every five years or so. And nobody would even be aware of it or give a toss.

Discard.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

He is a panic merchant and was saying the same nonsense prior to the July 19 opening down south. Maybe the scary 100-200K cases per day will happen at the peak this winter, or maybe it won't. But even 300-400 deaths per day during that peak period would be in line with bad influenza seasons we typically see on average every five years or so. And nobody would even be aware of it or give a toss.

Discard.

it would seem this place is awash with Doctors, thanks for your input, we can all resume licking bannisters in safety.

ooft , those pesky schools have made some job of these figures already !

• 3,367 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 39,660 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 9.0% of these were positive
  • 7 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
  • 33 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 317 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 4,068,806 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,512,673 have received their second dose

3,367 new cases of COVID-19 reported  (1525 one week ago)

39,660 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

9.0% of these were positive (5.2% one week ago)

7 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive  (10 one week ago)

33 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (42 one week ago)

317 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (356 one week ago)

4,068,806 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,512,673 have received their second dose

So cases and percentage positivity up but crucially significant drops in numbers in ICU and total number in hospital.