Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

According to some users on the reddit scotland page that if you disagree with the SNP policies you're a Tory. 

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's nothing.

I know of a forum where if you live in Southern Scotland, you're a Tory.

Agreed. Offer some independent critical thought on the anointed leadership’s diktat or not be immediately identifiable as one of the gang and you’re ’no wan o us’. 

Best just stay quiet. They’re eating themselves already, Swinneys just the soup course. 

I’m expecting apathy and a record low turnout come the next election. Sad thing is the dafties will likely still win. What that says about this country?, meh….

politics thread for this pish, I ken. But context…

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's still mental no matter how few days it is.

This zero Covid strategy is absolutely nuts.

It’s total insanity. The only way out of this is getting as many jags as possible into arms as quickly as possible.

Suspending provision of something that literally saves lives in order to ‘keep people safe’ shows how crazy these lunatics are.

Is it lockdown nutters or indy nutters who have seized Edinburgh castle? Not as hard to do as back in the day, I assume.

Qanon I think. They kept mentioning paedophiles.

4 hours ago, Snafu said:

It has been said that Westminster already has these powers and this brings into line a rapid response across the whole of the UK in case of any future pandemic.

Nothing has been approved yet and the public has a chance to voice their views up to the 9th Nov.

Does anyone know if these laws already exist in England and Wales and it looks like this has more to do with being given the same power to carry out these actions and make the decisions in Hollyrood rather than in Westminster?

I'm sure that's how it will be framed by the clowns in Holyrood.

Why would Wales already have such powers? Why would 'England' have to put the Coronavirus Act through Parliament if they could just wave a magic wand and shut down society anyway?

Edited by Elixir

The overriding point here is that these emergency powers are exactly that - they are for emergency purposes and should be in place only so long as there is a genuine emergency. I don't think the current position merits such powers being place and it is frankly alarming that we can be locked down again at the stroke of a government minister's pen, with no oversight. 

They give the Government far too much power with the opposition sidelined and in a democracy, this is simply unacceptable. The pandemic brought about widespread panic and I get there was a lot of unknown, but the game has changed now - we have vaccines, we have better treatment and we know more about the virus than we did previously. Despite case levels being high, we are also not seeing the pressure on hospitals with covid patients or levels of death that we were previously. 

On the other sise of the coin, Health is an entirely devolved matter so I don't see why these emergency powers need to be there if measures are taken for public health. Unless you are prohibited from going to church, in which case the SG lose court cases, it seems like just about everything else is below public health in the hierarchy. 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

First its a warning over the supply of certain beers and now Nandos has closed 40 outlets due to a shortage of chicken. What is going on in the world?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/17/nandos-forced-to-shut-outlets-through-covid-related-shortages

Peri-peri chicken wings have become the latest casualty of Covid-related upheaval in the food industry, with a shortage of chicken forcing Nando’s to temporarily close a 10th of its restaurants.

The chain blamed the need to shutter outlets on staffing issues at its suppliers’ factories as well as the shortage of HGV lorry drivers that has resulted in gaps on supermarket shelves in recent weeks.

Breggzit

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Watching the Afghanistan debate in Parliament.  Seems odd seeing a packed parliament again.  Most of them not wearing masks either.

Even though social distancing has ended it's struck me how often you still see it on TV in things like sports presenting.

The SNP are all wearing masks.

That next to no Conservative MPs are choosing to wear a mask in a packed indoor environment shows that they, collectively, do not believe that there is anything to be fearful of.

If there was a genuine need (or benefit) of masks, then these people would be the ones wearing them.

Labour and the SNP politicising masks by wearing them shows up perfectly what masks have become - a political symbol.

Get them to f**k.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just been in a meeting about our return to campus. The only time I am allowed to take my mask off on campus is when seated at my desk. This is new guidance from the Government.

So I will be standing in a classroom talking to students, and broadcasting live my class to students off-campus...all the time wearing a mask. Me and all the students wearing masks. 

I imagine this rule will change before semester starts.