Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 hours ago, Elixir said:

The bad news for Jamesey boy here is that going so long without being exposed to mild colds and other viruses is that your immune system starts to lag behind. So when the day does come that you catch a (previously) mild cold, you'll be utterly floored by it. 

The immune system needs regular exposure to viruses to maintain a good level of protection. Most you won't even know you've been exposed to.

Take chicken pox as an example. The theory is that if you catch it, you get around 20 years of immunity. That 20 years is based on repeated exposure to the virus. Local kids catch it? You get exposed, your immune system gets an update, and you never feel a thing. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Back in the day… She had no idea why she did a little dance. Could it be because you were being a smug Kiwi arse who couldn’t resist celebrating your ‘zero tolerance’ policy reaching zero? Any thoughts, while dancing around your room, about what happens come the day your country needs to open up again? Trade, flights in and out of New Zealand, shipping, business travel, tourism? You are nowhere near that happening, yet look at you over one case. You actually have to stop and say that to yourself over and over again to let it sink in. One person. For actual fcuk sake. 

While they only have around a quarter of their adult population vaccinated and if they can stomp on any cases with 3 day lockdowns, or up to a week in localised areas, it doesn't seem such a daft strategy to me, if it works. When the numbers are very small, track and trace can be really effective.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, 101 said:

I think they said the first 6 weeks schools will operate under the same restrictions as before.

Thereafter it's just improved ventilation monitored by CO2 levels.

Yes, so I now believe - that's a pisser.  

Isolation rules have changed, but that's effectively all.  There's an irony in schools being among the first places to return, yet being among the last to ditch the remnant restrictions.

I suppose it's a reflection of schools being ostensibly easier for government to control, as well as being repositories for large numbers of the unvaccinated.

The Kiwis joining their neighbours over in Oz in collectively losing their minds. "Don't talk to your neighbours" joining "don't remove your mask to drink alcohol in public" in the book of shit that Orwell would've thought too far gone. 

People will rightly point out that both countries have had good pandemics and minimised deaths very well. But the sort of nonsemse they're rolling out now was entirely avoidable if they had run a competent vaccine rollout. They have botched it big time. 

The authoritarian descent Australia in particular has taken during the last month has been shocking. Though it is about as far East as you'll find on a wall map, I'd class it as a western country given its developed economy and general outlook. That they have deployed methods more akin to China has to been a pretty large shock. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's only for 3 days nationally, 4-7 in Auckland and Coromandel where it happened.

I meant its a difficult strategy to go into full lockdowns and try and keep a 0 covid policy in the long term, especially when they dont seem to be doing great on getting people vaccinated. 

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The bad news for Jamesey boy here is that going so long without being exposed to mild colds and other viruses is that your immune system starts to lag behind. So when the day does come that you catch a (previously) mild cold, you'll be utterly floored by it. 

The immune system needs regular exposure to viruses to maintain a good level of protection. Most you won't even know you've been exposed to.

Take chicken pox as an example. The theory is that if you catch it, you get around 20 years of immunity. That 20 years is based on repeated exposure to the virus. Local kids catch it? You get exposed, your immune system gets an update, and you never feel a thing. 

I'm currently on my third cough/cold/sore throat since June, having had perhaps one over the winter. Every single instance has been preceded by my daughter having a cough. 

I don't think we really need to. Think too hard about why these are so prevalent. 

So it is like Microsoft updates then.
Not just conspiracy?

14 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I meant its a difficult strategy to go into full lockdowns and try and keep a 0 covid policy in the long term, especially when they dont seem to be doing great on getting people vaccinated. 

It's because they need time to get up to speed on vaccination that keeping cases to a minimum for now is the strategy. If they keep it going once they have a decent percentage vaccinated, that's where it would get stupid.

Edited by welshbairn

31 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The Kiwis joining their neighbours over in Oz in collectively losing their minds. "Don't talk to your neighbours" joining "don't remove your mask to drink alcohol in public" in the book of shit that Orwell would've thought too far gone. 

People will rightly point out that both countries have had good pandemics and minimised deaths very well. But the sort of nonsemse they're rolling out now was entirely avoidable if they had run a competent vaccine rollout. They have botched it big time. 

The authoritarian descent Australia in particular has taken during the last month has been shocking. Though it is about as far East as you'll find on a wall map, I'd class it as a western country given its developed economy and general outlook. That they have deployed methods more akin to China has to been a pretty large shock. 

Crocodile Dundee would be rolling in his grave.

34 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They're only rolling out to their white population the treatment that they normally dish out to the Aboriginals and Asian asylum seekers. It's been a vile, authoritarian nick of a country all along.

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I see New Zealand are also ‘pausing’ vaccinations during the lockdown period to ‘keep people safe’ 😂

Another solid win for yon Jacinda and her virtue-signalling pish.

mourinho-jose-mourinho.gif.4ffcca5a2c8ef4e6b4a7d11893a502dc.gif

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's because they need time to get up to speed on vaccination that keeping cases to a minimum for now is the strategy. If they keep it going once they have a decent percentage vaccinated, that's where it would get stupid.

Because nothing buys more time to catch up on vaccination quite like abandoning vaccinations whenever one person in your entire country has the glorified sniffles. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Because nothing buys more time to catch up on vaccination quite like abandoning vaccinations whenever one person in your entire country has the glorified sniffles. 

Aye, 3 days of stopping people gathering together will really make a big hit in the vaccination campaign.

Glorified sniffles ffs, has Lawrence Fox nicked your account?

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, 3 days of stopping people gathering together will really make a big hit in the vaccination campaign.

You claimed that lockdown would allow them to 'get up to speed on vaccination'. If the vaccination centres are closed then it self-evidently doesn't do this.