Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
A delay in introducing vaccine passports. What a suprise emoji849.png the SG gets more and more tinpot as the weeks go on

I thought anything that delayed passports would please you ?

Delaying the inevitable of their introduction. Why would that please me?

3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I was talking specifically about the university students but you can go off at a tangent if you want.

A room full of university students in class is just as viable a place for transmission as the same group in a pub. 

You'd think that after multiple waves of infection and multiple gormless failures by governments to accept this reality, that we really wouldn't be having this debate. 

33 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
A delay in introducing vaccine passports. What a suprise emoji849.png the SG gets more and more tinpot as the weeks go on

I thought anything that delayed passports would please you ?

Passports aren’t being delayed.  Enforcement against companies that fail to police them is being delayed.

6 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Was down in England last week and the only difference I saw between bars/restaurants there and here, was that in England only around 40% of customers walk in wearing masks. 

In both countries, once you're in masks come off. In both countries, staff always wear masks. We went into the Minster (we were in York) and the railway museum and in both places everyone was wearing masks.  Yes, it's not legally enforceable but indoor places ask to you wear them and as far as I could see pretty much everyone goes along with the request. 

Can't remember the last time I was asked to complete the track & trace in Scotland. Does anyone do that anymore ?

To say that there's a massive difference between England and Scotland is just clearly wrong. 

This is weird since outwith the trams Manchester has almost totally binned mask use and would probably be regarded as one of the largest left-leaning parts of the country.

5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 hours ago, budmiester1 said:
I went to get a drink at Glasgow airport in the Beardmore , before I was allowed in I had to complete the track and trace online, not one place in London even batted an eyelid to me walking in. 

Airports are understandable

Why? It's already obvious where you're going, so even more pointless.

5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 hours ago, Elixir said:
Are they testing the school bairns where most of our cases are coming from? It's all very good, except masks and vaxx certs are gone over there and won't be reintroduced because they aren't massive bed wetters. Our 'cases' quite literally 'spiked' as high as you could expect after reopening and then schools going back, only for them to continue plummeting after a few weeks. Not once was the health service even close to falling over, despite the self-imposed constraints put on it by ongoing distancing requirements.
Imagine continuing to drone on about 'cases' in a near universally vaccinated population to try and justify pointless theatre that is no longer required. Our nearest neighbour literally proves this, the Nordics are just an inconvenience for the Simps as they can't be accused of being RECKLESS TORIEZZZ11!!!

If they are not testing school kids in Norway (no idea either way) then their tests compared to ours are through the roof. Just going by numbers I presume they are. No idea why your back on about reckless Tories as my response was totally non political, simply pointing out the facts you are determined to ignore. It's not simply a comparison of case numbers, you are right in a highly vaccinated population like both countries are they become less of a factor but Norway are in a position to relax the few remaining rules we haven't simply because their hospital cases, ICU and death numbers are a fraction of ours. If / when we get to those sort if levels then I'm sure we will do likewise.

lol wut

You have literally just been called out for being selective about how much i.e. Norway is testing, and don't know if they are blanket testing school brats.

Scotland's hospital and death figures at no point since the completion of the vaccination rollout required the continuation of mask wearing, contact tracing, or the introduction of vaccine passports. Again, we have had England proving this for over two months now.

This is utterly laughable - if you think the pressure on Scotland's hospitals that we are seeing now means we need these measures, then by default you will need to champion them for every single winter to come in the years ahead.

Edited by Elixir

Introducing, but delaying the enforcement of, vaccine passports is absolutely embarassing tbh.

Just going to make it even harder for themselves to justify their deployment following a further few weeks of bombing case numbers.

I wonder if they are worried about the outcome of legal action, hence the delay to avoid paying damages.

The change in the counting of hospital numbers is, imo, an encouraging sign. Last time they revised them they dropped by 80% overnight, and happened shortly before the deployment of the roadmap which was intended to get to level 0.

My guess is similar will happen again (without the winter surge). Perhaps they know this, are looking to move towards hinting about scrapping masks etc in the not too distant future, and feel that a large, sustained drop in the number of people actually in hospital because of Covid will reduce lovejoy outcry thus making this process smoother.

lol wut
You have literally just been called out for being selective about how much i.e. Norway is testing, and don't know if they are blanket testing school brats.
Scotland's hospital and death figures at no point since the completion of the vaccination rollout required the continuation of mask wearing, contact tracing, or the introduction of vaccine passports. Again, we have had England proving this for over two months now.
This is utterly laughable - if you think the pressure on Scotland's hospitals that we are seeing now means we need these measures, then by default you will need to champion them for every single winter to come in the years ahead.
Your off on a totally different tangent again. I'm not claiming we need any mitigations nor did I ever mention the NHS. You yourself posted this week that quoting historical data was pointless hence I quoted this last weeks comparison. I can see no reason why testing would suddenly have surged in Norway and I didn't look beyond a week. For the umpteen time Norway / Denmark have removed their restrictions simply because they are in a position to do so in relation to the key measures ie hospialisation, ICU and deaths. If / when we reach their levels I would expect we will follow suit. What part of that you cant / wont grasp I'm not sure. I'm not advocating restrictions as you keep banging on about, I don't see anyone on here doing that. Your constant whining that we are "testing too much" leading to continued high case rates and hence continued restrictions is a total Trumpian strawman. It's nonsense.

36 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Is it not just a ScotRail ban? 

I was on Avanti to London a few weeks back and booze was being dished out as soon as the service started. 

Yeah, the booze ban is just a Scotrail thing. I'm guessing that Avanti, Transpennine Express etc. will probably still encourage masks between here and the border, though.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

This is weird since outwith the trams Manchester has almost totally binned mask use and would probably be regarded as one of the largest left-leaning parts of the country.

It's not weird at all. 

As you can see, people's experiences are different in different parts of the country. I really didn't see a huge difference between Scotland and England...aside from all customers in shops in Scotland wearing masks as opposed to around 30-40% in shops in York.