Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
51 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:
35 mins once inside the Mosque to getting  an armful for anyone that’s interested.

Are they still asking you to hang about for 10 mins or whatever after your jag?

Had to wait 5 today, think they’re keen to get folk in and out.

15 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:
35 mins once inside the Mosque to getting  an armful for anyone that’s interested.

Are they still asking you to hang about for 10 mins or whatever after your jag?

I had been watching the Boris briefing in the queue, so was able to tell the guy jagging me England are binning the post-jag wait tomorrow. He said it's 5 mins here, but they also recommend you don't drive for 15

I had been watching the Boris briefing in the queue, so was able to tell the guy jagging me England are binning the post-jag wait tomorrow. He said it's 5 mins here, but they also recommend you don't drive for 15
....which brings me onto another question I forgot to ask.
Is it easy to get parked?

24 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The median age in SA is 27.

The vulnerable already being culled by Delta would reduce their Omicron severity. 

Err, we have also had a *quite considerable* cull of vulnerable people in the UK. We don't have 20% of the population with HIV and associated compromised immune systems. We also have extremely high vaccine/booster coverage, particularly in the old and vulnerable.

Either way, there's not much we can do to stop this wave of infections, and fresh exposure will simply accelerate covid's journey towards being an insignificance to society in future.

6 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

....which brings me onto another question I forgot to ask.
Is it easy to get parked?

The car park was full, but people were moving in and out fairly steadily.

Don't know where you'd be coming from, but I got the subway to Bridge Street, and it's a 5 min walk.

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Are we convinced about that Omicron is actually going to be really bad? I’m not sure. 

I am absolutely convinced that as soon as the schools break up we'll see a massive increase in restrictions.

11 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Err, we have also had a *quite considerable* cull of vulnerable people in the UK. We don't have 20% of the population with HIV and associated compromised immune systems. We also have extremely high vaccine/booster coverage, particularly in the old and vulnerable.

Either way, there's not much we can do to stop this wave of infections, and fresh exposure will simply accelerate covid's journey towards being an insignificance to society in future.

I think the biggest difference between the UK and South Africa is that it is Summer down there and Winter up here.

6 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think the biggest difference between the UK and South Africa is that it is Summer down there and Winter up here.

Naive populations will be fucked by a respiratory virus regardless of whether it is summer or winter, as we have seen throughout the pandemic in places like South Africa, South America, India, etc. Though eventually, endemicity will see more regularly peaks in winter and lulls in summer.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Naive populations will be fucked by a respiratory virus regardless of whether it is summer or winter, as we have seen throughout the pandemic in places like South Africa, South America, India, etc. Though eventually, endemicity will see more regularly peaks in winter and lulls in summer.

There has been a seasonality to both the severity and R number though. All I am saying is that although the South Africa seems posiitve in terms of severity of Omicron we might see larger transmission and hospitalisation that they do because we live in a colder climate which the virus prefers.

Chris Whitty says he wants to advise people to be very cautious about figures coming out of South Africa suggesting Omicron is leading to fewer people ending up in hospital.

First, he says, if Omicron is doubling every two days, even with a fewer proportion of cases ending up in hospital, it does not take very long to catch up with where you would have been if hospitalisations had been at the same rate as with Delta.

And, second, he says South Africa has just had a Delta wave and vaccination, building up immunity. The UK had the Alpha wave in January. So the background immunity in the population is different, he argues.

The UK has also had a Delta wave since June until now. It makes up the majority of the cases that Chris Whitty showed on his graphs. It has been endemic in the country for fucking months.

For Whitty to come out and claim that the UK is somehow more susceptible because our last wave was way back in January is nothing less than a pack of lies. They are quite simply saying anything that they think will scare people now.