Coronavirus (COVID-19)

57 minutes ago, red23 said:

So im curious, any chance we can have a poll so we can see how "bad" it really is? are some of us just ignorant?

It would be:

1. Do you know someone who has directly died from covid
  2. Do you know someone who has become seriously ill from covid
  3. Neither of above.

One person I know was hospitalised for a few days and required non-invasive oxygen but no ventilation or ICU treatment.

He was in his early thirties but was on immunosuppressant drugs so not a huge shock that he had slightly more severe disease than most his age. This was before the vaccine was widely available (right around the January peak). He spent about 4-5 nights in hospital but made a pretty quick recovery.

I’ve heard a handful stories of colleagues losing parents and grandparents but no one I know personally has died. 

One woman I work with had her mother, aunt and uncle die of Covid. Her dad was ventilated in an ICU and she was hospitalised with it. Absolutely horrific for her and her family. This was all in 2020.

A few other guys I know from work or their partners have had it. One colleagues partner had to be blue lighted to hospital but made a full recovery. One of the very senior directors in my work was in an ICU for over a month, recovers but retired later.

Our old neighbours daughter-in-law caught it in March 2020 and was in the ICU with kidney failure. It looked touch and go but she survived, no idea how her recovery has gone.

I also know loads and loads of people who’ve had it and either had no symptoms or it’s been like a cold or flu.

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

It's my dad's funeral on Friday and a fair amount of close family friends who originally confirmed they'd be attending are now saying they're too scared to show up. These are people who have been vaccinated twice and received the booster as well. I find it quite sad really. 

condonlences mate, sorry to hear it. this is tragic what theyve done to us

19 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

It's my dad's funeral on Friday and a fair amount of close family friends who originally confirmed they'd be attending are now saying they're too scared to show up. These are people who have been vaccinated twice and received the booster as well. I find it quite sad really. 

Im really sorry for your loss. 

1 hour ago, red23 said:

So im curious, any chance we can have a poll so we can see how "bad" it really is? are some of us just ignorant?

It would be:

1. Do you know someone who has directly died from covid
  2. Do you know someone who has become seriously ill from covid
  3. Neither of above.

Woman across the street from me died of it.  Aside from being old there was nothing overly wrong with her.

My half brother had a blood clot from it and had he waited much longer to go to a&e he would have been in serious trouble.

A guy I work with had it and only found out during a covid test.  No symptoms.

Also girl at work had it and over a year later her sense of smell and taste is still fucked.

One of my closest mates had it who is healthy as f**k.  Gym, diet etc and he felt as if he’d been shagged by a horse.  Now he does live rural however.

Weird thing was when we had a big outbreak at my work.  The absolute whale munchers were fine.  Yet a few skinny people were done in by it.  One or two needing hospital treatment.  Yet the chubbies seemed ok.

Edited by Lofarl

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

^^^ Adulting is hard eh?

There's a difference between adulting and Hobbes' state of nature, which was where I was going (and obviously a subtext you didn't/couldn't see). 

Well done on just flinging a red dot oot instead though. Very adult.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Bit harsh mate, he’s got a bit of a point
We always come down hard on sturgeon for restrictions accusing her of needing to “care more” than Westminster . The rest of Europe or the world doesn’t need to care more than Westminster. Doesn’t mean i agree with lockdowns but there must be at least some logic if all those places feel the need to take action

Thank you. For clarity, I 100% don't want restrictions back, suspect almost 100% of people in here don't want them back, but if I hear a convincing, reliable argument with a sound basis for them (and I appreciate there is an element of subjectivity in there) then I'd eat it. Possibly easier for my own circumstances (can easily WFH/not cohabiting yet), though. The chicken and egg nature of this particular virus is what makes it such a shit - by the time you can demonstrably scientifically prove a high level of harm, you're too late to shutdown, and if you prove the other way you piss people off by incarcerating them unnecessarily for x-amount of days/weeks. Everyone is fed up with it, but until it gets down to the stage of the 'normal' influenza diet, treatable with 1 annual shot in the arm mixed to a suitable dose, this isn't quite done and dusted and IMO it's wilful blindness to think otherwise. The aftertaste of an overstretched NHS with staff burnout/treatment backlogs etc is the other payload we're going to be living with for many years. In that context, I felt the word 'grim' is fair. Other opinions available, of course. 

In London it feels like everyone's testing positive at the moment especially those in their 20s and 30s. Ruining folks' Christmas plans as they're all having to self-isolate up to or beyond 25th from now. Thankfully I LFD-ed negative every day this week and am on the train north tomorrow.

I got my booster on Monday afternoon. Weirdly the pharmacy said we were getting Pfizer, and that's what I saw on the screen, but the NHS England app says I got Moderna's booster...

A few friends of mine have caught it with varying degrees of severity, none requiring hospital care fortunately. 

I did know some elderly people who sadly succumbed to Covid in the early months pre-vaccine.

My brother's father in law ended up on a ventilator for weeks, after which a lung scan detected a tumour which was still small enough to be able to be surgically removed, and he's made a steady recovery since. A rare case of Covid being a potential life saver!

Edited by Lurkst

I should say I don't know anyone personally who was known to have died from COVID, but I know a couple who are still struggling with Long COVID issues.

I got Covid back in January and it was very unpleasant. I'd say it was worse than my worst every flu I've had and lasted longer. They had me on an oximeter and 111 said in terms that if my levels didn't improve within 24 hours I should got to A&E. But then they did improve, very rapidly, and I made a full recovery.

Edited by Ad Lib

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I'm sure those who dont go will look back on it in months/years to come and regret their descion. Utterly disgusting how warped peoples mindsets have became due to politicians/media. They'll never return to normal life and after being vaccinated they really should be thinking "what was the point". Regardless of those missing, give your Dad the send off he deserves. All the best for Fri, it's a hard day to get through but think of the good times you had with him

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Sorry for your loss. 

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

In London it feels like everyone's testing positive at the moment especially those in their 20s and 30s. Ruining folks' Christmas plans as they're all having to self-isolate up to or beyond 25th from now. Thankfully I LFD-ed negative every day this week and am on the train north tomorrow.

I got my booster on Monday afternoon. Weirdly the pharmacy said we were getting Pfizer, and that's what I saw on the screen, but the NHS England app says I got Moderna's booster...

My 30 odd year old nephew in Crystal Palace just told me he got a positive test today after feeling lousy, he assures me it's not an excuse to avoid Strathspey Thistle away on the 27th. His temporary flatmate, and my niece, jumped on a train home to Liverpool to avoid getting pinged in London. Another postponed Christmas get together it looks like, last one we had was in August.

Know of a few folk - friend's relatives, parents friends and a couple of elderly folk in the local community who died from it. I had it in June and was battered with it for around a week or so, and felt generally knackered and lethargic for about a fortnight afterwards. Most of my family have had it at different stages, most have been in bed for a few days then gotten over it pretty quickly, my mum still hasn't fully regained her taste and spell after a good few months though. My sister (late thirties) who has no health issues, takes good care of herself and has been fully vaccinated for months was completely flattened by it in around October however, and was probably in the worst condition she's ever been in. Had she not been as healthy before hand it could've been quite worrying. Was completely out the blue, as she was fine for the first couple of days after the positive test, and just assumed she'd breeze through it. 

The worst case of long covid i'm aware of is my pal's younger (23 year old) brother, who got it near the beginning last year and has had breathing issues ever since. He is/was very athletic and played multiple sports every week . He's had various checks done, but is still blowing out his arse pretty much immediately whenever he attempts exercise as far as i'm aware. 

My dad's uncle, aunt* and mother in law have all succumbed of it in the Greater Glasgow area.  Also lost a nice old lady on our Scout group committee.

*who's husband died shortly afterwards after collapsing due to the stress of seeing his wife struggle on the ventilator.

9 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Sorry for your situation and of course for your loss.  My sister's funeral is next week in quite a remote part of Scotland.  Her husband and sons are trying to arrange a live stream from the church.   She was a lot older than me, so most of the family and  her friends are also much older and most live quite far from the venue so few would be able to attend, covid or no covid. 

It was a long-term problem that eventually got her, not the virus.