Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If businesses are being decimated by cancellations as is being reported then surely furlough is the lesser of two evils? 
I think we are at this stage. A financial package is needed right now as the public understandably given the advice are no longer willing to take the risk of being forced to isolate on Christmas day. You just need to see how quiet it is out and about to get that business is struggling without any further measures.

I guess if we're going to be seeing 60k tests a day then yes there are going to be very large number of cases. 

Still can't believe there were 1.3m tests yesterday across the UK. 2% of the entire population tested, and that'll be an undercount as loads of LFTs won't have been reported. 

Edited by Michael W

She wants to talk to the PM about taking ‘serious and strong action’- very close to what independent sage said yesterday.
Hopefully his only two words will be ‘f**k off’.

When this is all based on doing everything to ensure schools stay open for game days it should be fired into the fucking abyss

9 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

When this is all based on doing everything to ensure schools stay open for game days it should be fired into the fucking abyss

Agreed. 

If this is the emergency it's being badged as, why are the schools remaining open? 

Case in point from yesterday's figures from Travelling Tabby. By age, 2 of 3 of the highest case numbers (per 100k) are being reported in the school age demographic. 

It is good news so far that infections within the high risk age groups remains low.

Screenshot_20211216-123408_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Michael W

It’s clear that she’s pushing for a lockdown or at the very least closing hospitality etc completely.
Can't see why you are so against compensating businesses already affected. So far that's what is being talked about. Would be interesting to hear whether a restaurant boss would take furlough or keep trading with such uncertainty and cancellations galore.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

This almost mirrors my mother's care home on the outskirts of Inverness. They didn't wait to be advise by the SG they just went ahead and locked down a few days before it went national. Saw my mother a few days before it happened and didn't see her again until August, February 2020 was the last time she could recognise me.

As far as I'm aware there were no cases withing the care home during the first year, staff were brilliant. Then the virus struck in late January and was present through early/mid February the staff did what they could to prevent residents from catching the virus but unfortunately they lost a few. Could have been worse had it not been for everyone being vaccinated early January.

Since then there's been no further cases, but with the Omicron variant, I'm really worried about the next few weeks. I would think the place will be closed to visitors very soon if not in the next few days.

Mull Hall?

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:
It’s clear that she’s pushing for a lockdown or at the very least closing hospitality etc completely.

Can't see why you are so against compensating businesses already affected. So far that's what is being talked about. Would be interesting to hear whether a restaurant boss would take furlough or keep trading with such uncertainty and cancellations galore.

If the SG wanted to support businesses then it should have set funds aside in the budget it just fucking announced to Parliament. 

If it doesn't have funds to support businesses then it shouldn't have worked alongside public health quangos to sink all business and consumer confidence with hysterical drivel ever since that budget. 

The problem of funding is largely of their own making. 

Edited by vikingTON

Keep schools open for a few more days when all they will be doing is having parties and watching xmas films is utter lunacy. 

I get the feeling it's so when inspections spike and no furlough money etc is forthcoming she can give it the big "I told you so" to Boris.

It's not within her control to furlough but she could make a massive impact on calming things for xmas by just giving the games a bogey notice to schools. 

She's lost the fucking plot.

Businesses are only in the position they are at the moment because NS couldn't keep her mouth shut to try and highlight how reckless the Tories are.

Whether she likes it or not, she shouldn't have been telling people to stay away from pubs etc. without having the finances to then support these businesses. For her to now come out and try and blame WM for a situation she's essentially caused is laughable.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think businesses should be compensated but we all know they would end up shut for months if Sturgeon gets the chance.

I’ve just walked past 3 cafes/restaurants in Edinburgh- all pretty full. 

Obviously works night outs etc have been cancelled but I think the impact of shutting down a whole sector would far outweigh that.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:
Is it just Edinburgh schools that finish up on Friday then ?

Next Wednesday here. Still sitting prelims in some secondary schools here on Monday which is beyond mental planning wise.

Exams the week before Xmas seems a bit unfair tbh.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

She's lost the fucking plot.

The plot that she's actually sticking to is 'appease the snippy parent brigade', which is why people's livelihoods are being sacrificed on the altar of the weans playing Hungry Hippos. 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Businesses are only in the position they are at the moment because NS couldn't keep her mouth shut to try and highlight how reckless the Tories are.

Whether she likes it or not, she shouldn't have been telling people to stay away from pubs etc. without having the finances to then support these businesses. For her to now come out and try and blame WM for a situation she's essentially caused is laughable.

In fairness, Sturgeon could have been all happiness and light and Whitty would still have hoved into view with his 'The End is nigh' sandwich board a couple of days later.