Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Mark Drakeford's love for a restriction is matched only by his love for an ill-fitting suit. 
They really are bizarre. You would think as he stands in Slaters or wherever (these must be off the peg) the assistant would say something. They look like something bought from a charity rail without trying on.

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Not sure if demanding I pop in to share my wisdom is creepy or lovely, or a bit of both. 

Having had tickets for ER and given them up so I could make family Xmas with the hope of going to Pittodrie for Dundee instead I'm not very happy.

Also, having taken a few peeks at the roaring bin fire in here I decided I'd just not bother sharing. But thanks for letting me know that you care (more). 

smooches x

Shitebag.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Michael W said:
Mark Drakeford's love for a restriction is matched only by his love for an ill-fitting suit. 

They really are bizarre. You would think as he stands in Slaters or wherever (these must be off the peg) the assistant would say something. They look like something bought from a charity rail without trying on.

The assistants at Slaters must think he’s a c**t. Otherwise they would let him know they offer alterations to make suits fit.

9 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Not sure if demanding I pop in to share my wisdom is creepy or lovely, or a bit of both. 

Having had tickets for ER and given them up so I could make family Xmas with the hope of going to Pittodrie for Dundee instead I'm not very happy.

Also, having taken a few peeks at the roaring bin fire in here I decided I'd just not bother sharing. But thanks for letting me know that you care (more). 

smooches x

A liar as well as a shitebag. 

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

All of these reports get roundly ignored by the SG.  They have one source of 'The Science' and it's a source that gives them worst case scenario every time.

The Scottish Government have been absolutely hoodwinked by the fake SAGE weirdos. Their nauseating sanctimony aligns perfectly.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
31 minutes ago, Elixir said:
So pleasing to see this great man front and centre advising Sajid Javid yesterday. 4U0m6pP.png

Someone needs to remind him they did all that in England back in July but here we are again. It will be the same cycle until the next strain, and the next etc. Omicron has simply reinforced that.

That's not how things work. With each new exposure, we increasingly layer our immunity. It's how things would inevitably get better even without vaccination or the virus itself getting intrinsically less virulent. The question is whether we are believed to be at that point now, or not quite. Obviously, myself and most others here think we are already there. Balloux has also always predicted that late 2021, though potentially up to another six months, would be when the pandemic ends.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

In Germany's case (and they won't be alone) the panic originally came from a surge in delta cases among a population that was not allowed to ride out the delta wave in the summer like here. This did cause hospitalisations and deaths here to go up (and it has there too).

Add in a new, more contageous variant to that mix and I can see why they have been spooked.

We don't have that combination, and I sense that NS etc are not recognising this when they look at what others are doing and think "we need to copy them because we will look shite if we don't and it goes tits up"

That last bit, copying others for fear of getting it wrong, has been a theme across Europe since last summer.

Everyone (with the exception of BJ it seems) seems terrified to be a lone wolf and do something different.

I think there is something in what you say re fear of doing something different and thus endless copying of policy to be seen to do the right thing/care.

Perhaps in this instance BJ being a psychopath is somehow a bizarre plus.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Sturgeon currently bashing away at her keyboard and re-tweeting / sharing the news from Wales, letting us all know what's coming next.
An embarrassing race to the bottom for the devolved nations. 

I think we all know that a January lockdown is in the post and that decision has already been made by the SG.
The next week or so is going be all about PR and spin to get the message right and get people nice and scared so they accept it.

1 hour ago, gc_smfc said:

Tested positive for what I'm assuming is Omni on my return from NY on Sunday. Girlfriend tested negative on return then finally got the same symptoms two days after then finally tested positive. 

Had a cough for a day, and now a runny nose, but feel fine otherwise. Only had two jabs as appointments for the booster only came available when I was away. If it's like this for the vast majority there's no need to panic, a couple of days at home then good to go. 

More frustrated at being stuck in the house than anything, not getting my haircut and getting to see my mate who's back home, but wouldn't be rushing out if I had a cold like this anyway. 

Knew the risk going away, but we'll worth it, hopefully those in power start seeing some sense sooner than later. 

I've had Covid past week and a bit too, lost taste/smell for a few days and had a couple days feeling shitty but apart from that fine. Not sure it was Omnicron tho as my missus and daughter been fine and I'm the only one out the 12 folk i was out with previous weekend who has caught it.

We're booked for NY in March, really hope this shit show doesn't put a pin in it

1 hour ago, Tynie Heep said:

A young man who is angry and frustrated feels he needs to vent for his own mental health.

Quite ironic you trying to be the supercilious, sanctimonious, patronising git when you have history for challenging another poster to a fight.  

I see myself as a voice of sanity tbh.

1 hour ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Most decent local councillors - whilst still under a party banner - will build up support for them as a person by doing a good job for & engaging with the folk in the council ward they represent not just riding on the party name.

There are certainly councillors who have a large personal vote unrelated to the party they happen to represent based on what they do for local people on local issues.

It is possible to separate the two.

Then those popular and effective, dreamboat local councillors can choose to formally separate the two - by no longer standing on a national party ticket. Quite what your objection is to voters exercising their own fucking judgment on the information listed on their ballot papers is beyond me. 

Edited by vikingTON

24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

WHO releasing a position that ‘the pandemic must end in 2022’, why wait boys?

It will be over next year whether they like it or not as pretty much everyone will have been exposed and/or immunised. They'll claim it's over purely because of vaccination and public health messaging, etc, rather than it simply being the natural course of such an outbreak. Places like East Asia, Australia and New Zealand will still face a lot of challenges, though.

I’m honestly not sure why Labour haven’t taken this line. It could likely win them a GE.
Winning of that GE would allow Scots a referendum, with the Labour Party pushing the line that they support Indy, but should it come to pass the Scots and English separate Labour parties would totally split, but agree to work together for the greater good.

It really wouldn’t because the problem with Scottish Labour goes far deeper than their line on independence. It also won’t happen because the people who would’ve taken a softer line were soundly defeated in the leadership elections.

31 minutes ago, Lex said:

I think we all know that a January lockdown is in the post and that decision has already been made by the SG.
The next week or so is going be all about PR and spin to get the message right and get people nice and scared so they accept it.

That's going to be rather difficult without furlough as the sweeties that have been chucked our way will barely cover this current charade beyond three weeks. If England end up deciding against further measures and have subsequently played the devolved administrations for fools, then it will be an untenable situation.

2,434 new cases of COVID-19 reported*
52,022 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results*
13.0% of these were positive
11 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
40 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
536 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
4,375,588 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 4,000,171 have received their second dose, and 2,708,761 have received a third dose or booster.

Awkward.