Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I know folk who are none of those but support restrictions, and are in some cases imposing self-restrictions. They have elderly parents, they have a parent suffering from cancer. They are shit-scared to get Covid and pass it onto them, in all likelihood, doing them in. I have, of course, mentioned the aqua aerobics ladies at my gym, those ladies of a ‘certain age’. Heard them talking yesterday (and I swear on my life I don’t make this up, it’s genuinely what they say)… they are frankly shitting themselves about getting it, missing Christmas, having to isolate, not getting to see the grandkids, etc. it’s understandable, they are concerned.

I would suggest that the vast majority of the fear no longer has to do with getting ill or passing it on, but rather having plans for Christmas Day 'ruined' by a positive test result. That is the rationale across many other age groups as well right now. 

That perfectly healthy people have a choice to just not take utterly pointless LFT tests in the first place and that the government cannot effectively enforce its nonsense self-isolation requirements have both been overlooked. Being symptomatic means that you still should not be going to the shops, a restaurant etc. but the idea that it should require household isolation from a wider family unit is unenforceable. 

None of this obsession with Christmas Day justifies enforced restrictions on wider society of course - least of all given that they come into place after the glorified Sunday roast. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Why wouldn't you want another shot? I don't get the indignation.

If everywhere was open and we could go to the football on Sunday etc people may be a bit more receptive to further jags. Get more injections but don't go out isn't really the best message is it? 

On 17/12/2021 at 13:23, Steven W said:

Ah right...., so when the case numbers don't give you the numbers that you were looking for, come out with this stuff and invent the numbers you do want instead. 

image.png.69beb9840d479100a7cf1f8227855a5f.png

Allowing for Dr Smith's "5-7 day" lag, and "eight-fold increase" algorithm from a week ago, we should be looking at 34,668 cases today

15 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Merry Christmas, lads!

Another from the Deepti school of "im cleverer than you. So please sit and listen whilst I explain to you all the things I have decided you dont need and should therefore sacrifice."

Shut up p***k. 

We had a works teams meeting this morning for someone retiring (in itself a bizarre concept) and the majority on that call said they were INSISTING on their Christmas day guests doing a LFT with several saying they wanted to see a phone pic of the negative result. 4 or 5 of us were quite incredulous at this and we were basically dismissed as risk takers. It's amazing how engrained into all demographics the fear and panic is.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

We had a works teams meeting this morning for someone retiring (in itself a bizarre concept) and the majority on that call said they were INSISTING on their Christmas day guests doing a LFT with several saying they wanted to see a phone pic of the negative result. 4 or 5 of us were quite incredulous at this and we were basically dismissed as risk takers. It's amazing how engrained into all demographics the fear and panic is.

Should have made sure todays paper was in the picture as well, just to be sure it was recent.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

They are their own opposition, sadly their bleating about a right wing ultra state didn't matter when it came to voter suppression, making people stateless, slashing the right to protest or the decreasing line between policing and politics as they all got rock hard boners at proper authoritarian measures rather than proof of vaccine/ negative test.

Merry fucking Christmas.

They've been in power, or a labour version of them, for 40 plus years 

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Is this the public sector?

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

I would suggest that the vast majority of the fear no longer has to do with getting ill or passing it on, but rather having plans for Christmas Day 'ruined' by a positive test result. That is the rationale across many other age groups as well right now. 

That perfectly healthy people have a choice to just not take utterly pointless LFT tests in the first place and that the government cannot effectively enforce its nonsense self-isolation requirements have both been overlooked. Being symptomatic means that you still should not be going to the shops, a restaurant etc. but the idea that it should require household isolation from a wider family unit is unenforceable. 

None of this obsession with Christmas Day justifies enforced restrictions on wider society of course - least of all given that they come into place after the glorified Sunday roast. 

… and the aqua aerobics ladies, who I heard talking about these new restrictions being sensible because ‘Christmas’, and ‘it’s still out there’, and ‘we can’t be too careful’…. Were perfectly happy (as I posted a week or so ago) to gather at the gym twenty or so strong, sit maskless around four tables shoved together, start necking the Bitch Bubbles, and gab loudly, before piling onto their battle bus to head into town for their meal, and a performance of Les Miserables. Absolutely no doubt either that they’ll be wading knee deep into battle at mobbed supermarkets for a turkey and sprouts, and no qualms whatsoever about hitting the shops for the sales….. the football, gigs, pubs, clubs, wherever else though…. ‘It’s the right thing, it’s out there’.

I have a lot of time for them too. They’re a good crowd… but every bit as selfish and hypocritical as anyone.

Total broken record job, but see all these folk who think you cant be too careful, they are more than welcome to STAY IN THE FUCKING HOUSE!!!! If you were going to do that anyway because you dont think you can be too careful, why are you wanting other people and businesses to suffer?

Past goving these folk a pass. Anyone at this point happy to see damaging restriction put in place without hard evidence of their efficacy, and of the need for them is a selfish w**k.

If you cant put a number on the impact, you shouldn't be closing it, or asking for it to be closed.

I've always been surprised that more hasn't been made of the amount of Covid transmissions within hospitals. You'd think it would be some sort of priority to minimise this, given the various vulnerabilities those who find themselves in there may have. I know the 'with/for' stats are recorded, but not sure if I've ever seen stats of people who tested negative on admission but then positive later in their stay. Is this a thing? Given the average age of Covid deaths from the beginning, this could potentially be a significant contributor.

Anecdotally, my wife's 86 year old gran has always been telling us that amongst her pals of similar advancing years, the chat is "if you go in, you don't come out". She broke her ankle just before the first Covid wave and was refusing to go back for outpatient appointments because she was convinced she'd end up with the virus and that would be the end of her. Strangely enough, at home she's pretty chilled out about the whole thing and has always been happy having family round etc.

25 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I've always been surprised that more hasn't been made of the amount of Covid transmissions within hospitals. You'd think it would be some sort of priority to minimise this, given the various vulnerabilities those who find themselves in there may have. I know the 'with/for' stats are recorded, but not sure if I've ever seen stats of people who tested negative on admission but then positive later in their stay. Is this a thing? Given the average age of Covid deaths from the beginning, this could potentially be a significant contributor.

Anecdotally, my wife's 86 year old gran has always been telling us that amongst her pals of similar advancing years, the chat is "if you go in, you don't come out". She broke her ankle just before the first Covid wave and was refusing to go back for outpatient appointments because she was convinced she'd end up with the virus and that would be the end of her. Strangely enough, at home she's pretty chilled out about the whole thing and has always been happy having family round etc.

It is most definitely a thing.

I imagine we will hear much more about it in time...