Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just had a brief heads gone at a clip on radio shortbread there from leitch, the full context wasn’t given but it was trailed as being in relation to restrictions remaining in place and he says “yes I think it’s fair to say restrictions will need to remain in place for some time, restrictions help slow the spread, spread out the hospitalisations and allow us to get more vaccinated so yes I think they would be advisable”

Now, caveat being that I didn’t hear the full thing and the context of what restrictions they were specifically speaking about, but the rest of it could easily have been straight from March 2020 and also pure science denial based on the actual ongoing real life evidence of countries doing things differently on this actual island.

If you think we’re going back to normal next week based on what he’s just said, I’ve got a bridge for you.

Leitch on BBC radio this morning was brutal stuff. Asked repeatedly that if the restrictions we have here compared to England are clearly not making much difference, why should we not get rid of them. Claimed that our restrictions are very similar to England, then that the restrictions definitely are protecting people, then eventually saying “why don’t we compare restrictions to The Netherlands rather than England” as if it had any fucking relevance to the question at all. Hopeless.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Just had a brief heads gone at a clip on radio shortbread there from leitch, the full context wasn’t given but it was trailed as being in relation to restrictions remaining in place and he says “yes I think it’s fair to say restrictions will need to remain in place for some time, restrictions help slow the spread, spread out the hospitalisations and allow us to get more vaccinated so yes I think they would be advisable”

Now, caveat being that I didn’t hear the full thing and the context of what restrictions they were specifically speaking about, but the rest of it could easily have been straight from March 2020 and also pure science denial based on the actual ongoing real life evidence of countries doing things differently on this actual island.

If you think we’re going back to normal next week based on what he’s just said, I’ve got a bridge for you.

Posted at the same time there. I heard majority of it, and yes it was as bad as you thought.

12 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

They make decisions to protect our health or they make decisions to win votes, or both. I don't think they make decisions just for something to do.

They certainly make poor decisions and plenty of them. 

Do you consider the 500 limit at outdoor sporting events to be necessary or propotionate in light of England having lower case numbers per 100,00 and no crowd limits on "superspreader" events? 

7 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Leitch's overreach genuinely seems to knows no bounds. He's in the top 3 worst things to emerge from the pandemic. 

25 minutes ago, G51 said:

I don’t expect any relaxation of rules for Scotland this week. Some of the anecdotal stuff I’m hearing is that while there’s no doubt that this variant is less deadly, hospitals are expecting the next 3 weeks to be their busiest ever. I’ve heard stories of people being cleared out of offices in hospitals to create space to put beds and army personnel being called in. NHS Grampian are supposed to be declaring a major incident today.

There’s not the same death toll obviously, but it’s just very difficult to accommodate the numbers. While the restrictions are obviously largely symbolic and ineffective, I can’t see Sturgeon removing them while hospitals look like that.

These expectations are based on fantasy island modellers and the claims of a gormless dentist that the peak won't be for weeks. We've seen this play out before when both modellers and public health 'experts' made a roaring c**t of themselves predicting 200,000 cases per day in July, when restrictions in England were lifted. Instead, cases dropped. 

2 minutes ago, ddfg said:

They certainly make poor decisions and plenty of them. 

Do you consider the 500 limit at outdoor sporting events to be necessary or propotionate in light of England having lower case numbers per 100,00 and no crowd limits on "superspreader" events? 

I'm not saying the decisions are not poor. I was asking your opinion on why they want to look like they care. 

Just now, virginton said:

These expectations are based on fantasy island modellers and the claims of a gormless dentist that the peak won't be for weeks. We've seen this play out before when both modellers and public health 'experts' made a roaring c**t of themselves predicting 200,000 cases per day in July, when restrictions in England were lifted. Instead, cases dropped. 

maybe he's trying to make it go on longer so it looks like he was right

2 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'm not saying the decisions are not poor. I was asking your opinion on why they want to look like they care. 

Plays up to much of their core virtue signalling supporter base, partly because they want to make it look like down south are reckless and don’t care.

29 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Not at all. There are lots of women directors, executives, physios, officials etc. in football. 

The point is just one of personal preference regarding the punditry side of it. 
I hadn’t really thought much about it until my wife stated that she much preferred listening to the views of top ex pros who are obviously male.

Each to his own preferences.

The Harry Enfield sketch put up by Kincardine was hilarious. Hadn’t seen that one before.

I disagree but didn't realise you were referring to pundits rather than commentators. There aren't many ex pros who commentate on matches, completely different skillset. 

That Harry Enfield sketch is taking the piss out of the idea that women shouldn't be expected to be involved in football TV coverage. 

25 minutes ago, G51 said:

That’s not going to make any difference where optics are concerned. And it’s not “entirely expected” to take those measures.

You’re probably right but it just highlights the absurdity of it all. 

Restrictions that are demonstrably not working, that are widely recognised as symbolic whilst they significantly damage a targeted few industries, yet well plough on for the ‘optics’. 

The adult conversation. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’re probably right but it just highlights the absurdity of it all. 

Restrictions that are demonstrably not working, that are widely recognised as symbolic whilst they significantly damage a targeted few industries, yet well plough on for the ‘optics’. 

The adult conversation. 

Aye, 100% with you there. 

We’ll see how it all pans out. Sturgeon will need something to point to in order to say the restrictions can go - she can’t just say they’re useless. So you’d imagine she’ll need to see hospital numbers falling, which (feel free to correct this) doesn’t seem like it’ll be this week.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

1. Janey Godley's comedy.

2. Jason Leitch's overreach.

3. The virus and all its variants.

This is (was?) by far and away the worst thing about the pandemic. I'd almost, almost, be willing to go through another 12 month lockdown if it meant I'd never have to hear one of her "hilarious" voiceovers for the rest of my life.

Edited by RiG

34 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Plays up to much of their core virtue signalling supporter base, partly because they want to make it look like down south are reckless and don’t care.

Why? They have won these votes already, these people will vote SNP regardless of anything.

They need to win votes from elsewhere to win Indy2, I don't see that happening.