Stranraer v Rovers

Considering the weather,the fact we beat Airdrie last week and the fact Stranraer took a point off Falkirk last week.... That's not a bad point at all. 

Guranteed to be top if we win our next game, I'll take that. 

Falkirk have barely laid a finger on any of the top 4 so far, so their game in hand is far from a gimme. 

Edited by CALDERON

Maybe it’s the pessimist in me, but I’ve always felt we’d end up second this season and results like this make me think that’s probably about right.  Definitely points dropped and a missed opportunity regardless of pitch and conditions, particularly given that we took the lead. Falkirk have bumped along all season but are still sitting right behind us. The reality is games like this are the chance to open up a gap. The fact that we are failing to do so feels like it’s going to come down to the games between us. 

Considering the weather,the fact we beat Airdrie last week and the fact Stranraer took a point off Falkirk last week.... That's not a bad point at all. 
Guranteed to be top if we win our next game, I'll take that. 
Falkirk have barely laid a finger on any of the top 4 so far, so their game in hand is far from a gimme. 

Very true. However we are improving and I think that fact will change in coming weeks. Whether it will be enough to win the league is anyone’s guess....

4 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Maybe it’s the pessimist in me, but I’ve always felt we’d end up second this season and results like this make me think that’s probably about right.  Definitely points dropped and a missed opportunity regardless of pitch and conditions, particularly given that we took the lead. Falkirk have bumped along all season but are still sitting right behind us. The reality is games like this are the chance to open up a gap. The fact that we are failing to do so feels like it’s going to come down to the games between us. 

No need to panic yet. We lost from a better position in August. 

I haven't seen anything to suggest we aren't the best side in this league, and a hard fought draw in dreadful conditions against a team on reasonable form won't change that. 

Flip side is that Falkirk changed their manager and have had a bounce and are still behind us. The very worst we will be going into the Clyde game is top by a point, as we were before the Airdrie game. I would have taken that going down to Airdrie last week. 

I would have loved to win, but we could very easily have lost that today.  And we won't face conditions like that again this season. 

Edited by CALDERON

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Very true. However we are improving and I think that fact will change in coming weeks. Whether it will be enough to win the league is anyone’s guess....

It's going to be a tight battle, possibly going down to the end of the season. I just dont see today as that bad a result for us. 

Would've been better off splitting the points and letting everyone stay in the hoose, for all the football that was played.

The very last touch of the ball was Regan Hendry being slipped into the channel inside the box, but the ball bobbled off the pitch and his cutback ended up chipped onto the terrace. Sums the game up, really.

Stranraer coped with the wind better in the second half, but it was definitely a "coped with" rather than "took advantage of". The Rovers never really threatened after half time, beyond a few crosses that the wind took the sting out of. For whatever reason, all go the "havoc" happened in front of Thomson's goal.

A point was definitely a fair reflection of the game. Without the wind, I think the Rovers still would've struggled on that pitch. Hendry in particular never seemed to get comfortable with his passing. I don't think anyone shooting for this league title could be particularly happy with a point from two games at the home of the team that's (currently) bottom of the league, but all things considered, that's a good point today.

Yeah this pretty much sums up my feeling about today.

Granted the game sounds like an absolute farce and we could've lost, but a win today to put Falkirk under pressure would've had me believing this could maybe the year.

Instead it just feels like we've let them off the hook.

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

No need to panic yet. We lost from a better position in August. 

I haven't seen anything to suggest we aren't the best side in this league, and a hard fought draw in dreadful conditions against a team on reasonable form won't change that. 

We could very easily have lost that today. 

Not panicking, we definitely still have a chance.  It’s more just frustration about not taking opportunities to put the pressure on  Falkirk. Feels like we have passed up a good opportunity today. 

I know we never do anything down there and Falkirk dropped points to them last week and in a howling gale it’s maybe a point gained, but after last week I’d hoped we’d push on. Anyway, no harm done and we are still top. Rovers never do anything the easy way.  On to Firhill! 

4 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Not panicking, we definitely still have a chance.  It’s more just frustration about not taking opportunities to put the pressure on  Falkirk. Feels like we have passed up a good opportunity today. 

I know we never do anything down there and Falkirk dropped points to them last week and in a howling gale it’s maybe a point gained, but after last week I’d hoped we’d push on. Anyway, no harm done and we are still top. Rovers never do anything the easy way.  On to Firhill! 

Ach think we just need to keep believing. Generally think a positive vibe from the stands will help us. 

We had two back to back draws against Albion and Arbroath in the title run in 2 years ago, and these were down to a lack of bottle. We can write today off to the weather and kick on, in my opinion. 

We were a point ahead after 22 games at 3pm last week, and we’re four points ahead having played a game more than Falkirk after 24. It could be more, and it really does feel like a big missed opportunity today, but on balance we’re currently in a slightly stronger place than we were before last Saturday with two more games gone.

No panic here. Falkirk fans moaned like f**k about the conditions at Stranraer and we’ve matched their result in a literal storm. On to Clyde at home after the diddy cup.

16 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Yes. If you base improving on one game then of course you are right. Or you could take the fact that we on a 12 game unbeaten run....

...with half of them draws, including vs East Fife, Airdrie and Raith.