lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

fellow dundonian’s will remember this. council have made a right c**t of campie imo IMG_3677.thumb.jpg.ee44e53b1056c96f687332b7a99068c1.jpg
Judging by the pics on here the the council have made a c**t of a lot of things.

Looking at these old photos being in my mid 30's brings back some right could memeroies. Used to love the ships at campy they should have never been removed imo

8 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/City-That-Disappeared-Demolished-Architecture/dp/0904002691

It's hugely expensive, I believe that it has doubled in price since my wife got me one for my 40th last year, but this book is an excellent account of some of the criminal damage done to Glasgow's architectural history.

Edinburgh got off lightly in many ways- apart from the split level shops at the top of Leith Street being replaced by the St James' Centre. There was a plan to build a Glasgow style motorway around the centre- the Inner Ring Road. Some of the 60s buildings in Princes Street are a legacy of this lunacy- there was a plan to have an elevated walkway for pedestrians which is why some of the department stores e.g. Boots appear to have unused entrances on the first floor. Fortunately Edinburgh had the Cockburn Society and well to do busybodies to protect some nice buildings in the city and the plan got scrapped. 

8 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Was that photo taken at the end of that day when they hadn’t had a chance to filter out all the Dundonian pish form the pool?

Proper rapids btw, not like the new ones.

When I see this photo of the Cannonball splash pool, I'd rather have the pishy water than none at all.

14324838941_81f4976527_b.jpg 

Me if I was in that:

AnimatedIncompatibleFirecrest-size_restr

Here's another one. I'm not going for things that are necessarily the grandest buildings; more streetscapes and examples of good urbanism that were lost.

The below, for example is nothing particularly special by the standards of Victorian Glasgow. If someone built it now we'd piss our pants at the great quality, but it's galling how casually gems like this were demolished.

eGXBIFi.jpg

s5eKqas.jpg

From  The Glasgow Story:

A postcard view c 1920, showing Anderston Cross from the east. To the left is Stobcross Street (with the railway station on the corner, in the centre of the photograph). Argyle Street is on the right. The glass-roofed attic on the Anderston Cross building in the centre housed a photographer’s studio. A well-known hairdresser, Frank Zonfrillo, owned a shop next to the station.

Anderston Cross was a busy railway and tram route interchange, but the area is completely unrecognisable today. The station closed in 1959 and was demolished in 1967. The last tram passed by on 1 September 1962. The comprehensive redevelopment plan of the 1960s and 1970s removed much slum housing but a large part of the area disappeared beneath the new M8 motorway. Only 3,800 of the population of 11,430 were re-housed at Anderston Cross. The soulless concrete Anderston Cross Commercial Centre proved unsuccessful and was subsequently demolished.

Here's where it is now. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=55.8599&lon=-4.2691&layers=81&b=1

Use the "Change transparency of overlay" toolbar at the bottom left to see the current map.

Current STREETVIEW

The old Inverness swimming pool which closed in 1997 and replaced by the aquadome.  Learned to swim in that pool and who can forget the green Nessie slide in the smaller pool.  

Can't find a picture of the outside of the building unfortunately. 

enhanced-buzz-17657-1439761674-17.webp

A couple of odd buildings that manage to be austere and dominating yet decorative and somewhat beautiful at the same time.

1) Napier House, Govan.

VeWFwli.jpg

ILNpp7H.jpg

This art nouveau beast was a lodging house for seamen and was owned by the shipyard next door.

Current STREETVIEW

2) McGeogh’s Warehouse

Ci2Rf6d.jpg

pLbAYEI.jpg

Current STREETVIEW

Lastly, this isn't yet gone, but there can't be much time left for this third art nouveau gem:

Stanley St Presbytery:

O2pHw63.jpg

XIfZe7J.jpg

Current STREETVIEW

12 hours ago, milton75 said:

Last one for tonight.

The YMCA. The Christian Institute was an example of how pleasingly OTT Victorian Gothic revival could be. 

FK9nhip.jpg

ZCx235l.jpg

Current STREETVIEW is a boring office block currently occupied by the Student Loan wankers.

That looked like a fun place to stay. 

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Edinburgh got off lightly in many ways- apart from the split level shops at the top of Leith Street being replaced by the St James' Centre. There was a plan to build a Glasgow style motorway around the centre- the Inner Ring Road. Some of the 60s buildings in Princes Street are a legacy of this lunacy- there was a plan to have an elevated walkway for pedestrians which is why some of the department stores e.g. Boots appear to have unused entrances on the first floor. Fortunately Edinburgh had the Cockburn Society and well to do busybodies to protect some nice buildings in the city and the plan got scrapped. 

That must have been a fad at one time, as Birmingham city centre was very similar and had the same elevated walkway plan. The old New Street station even used its first floor entrance with a ramp down to street level.

Birmingham scrapped the plans because someone eventually worked out that pedestrians walking above cars spitting out exhaust fumes probably wasnt the healthiest idea! They did go further in an attempt to separate pedestrians from motorised traffic and there are still tunnels in use where delivery lorries drive and unload underground to city centre shops.

On 19/02/2020 at 13:25, Hedgecutter said:

Three generations of road bridge across the South Esk into Montrose (opened 1829, 1930 & 2004)

Old+Photograph+New+Bridge+Montrose+Scotl

"I don't care if a new one looks shite, as long as it has Montrose FC colours"

I remember that one vividly.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A lost landmark from the M74

chapelcross_0013.jpg

... and another of similar ilk:

Chaplecross nuclear power station. Decommissioned a while ago, the cooling towers were demolished in 2007.

I watched if from the bedroom window of our house a few miles away. The square buildings at the side of each tower are still there

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

DTVeAFoWkAIgG19.jpg

I worked as a labourer there for a week. They were replacing one of the furnaces and I was given a jackhammer and told to dig out some foundations for a new one. Problem is it was between two other furnaces that were still running and the heat was intense. Your eyeballs dried out just getting close to them and we were restricted to 20 minute stints to avoid heat exhaustion. Never known heat and noise like it.

12 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I worked as a labourer there for a week. They were replacing one of the furnaces and I was given a jackhammer and told to dig out some foundations for a new one. Problem is it was between two other furnaces that were still running and the heat was intense. Your eyeballs dried out just getting close to them and we were restricted to 20 minute stints to avoid heat exhaustion. Never known heat and noise like it.

... all morning I dug out foundations.

I worked in a slaughterhouse in Guildford when I was a teenager. I was given a sledgehammer and told to crack the cow's skulls with it. When I asked about bolt guns they laughed and said they didn't have anything so modern. All morning I killed cows. If you didn't swing the sledgehammer hard enough, the cow went fuckin' nuts and tried to break the crush. Hit the thing too hard and the sledgehammer smashed the skull and you got covered in brains. By lunchtime I was knackered, but when I got to the canteen everybody stood up and applauded. Turned out they were having a laugh with the new guy and I could have been using a bolt gun. I walked out and never went back. Didn't even ask for wages.

Edited by Hedgecutter