Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

In what way does playing behind closed doors help out the majority of Scottish clubs? 
After spending nigh on a week saying "the vote needs cast! We need this sorted so clubs survive!", do you feel a bit silly now? 
They could broadcast the game to fans to view online and pay a fee to watch, thus generating money for the club.

They could broadcast the game to fans to view online and pay a fee to watch, thus generating money for the club.

They can only realistically charge so much for a live stream meaning the club won’t make nearly as much as what they would on a match day. Plus I’d imagine hospitality is a pretty big source of our match day income.

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Yeah that seems a pretty obvious approach.  I’d imagine most of us would be happy to pay for that and help keep our clubs afloat financially.

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:
5 hours ago, Dele said:
In what way does playing behind closed doors help out the majority of Scottish clubs? 
After spending nigh on a week saying "the vote needs cast! We need this sorted so clubs survive!", do you feel a bit silly now? 

That will all depend on the strength of the Wifi at the ground.

I know Saints had to pay a large amount to have a line fitted to boost our signal strength before we could start the live streaming for overseas fans. The delay between order and BT fitting it was about 6 months.

Some teams will have the technology but how much will fans pay at home and how many people will watch 1 paid stream . 

The issue with clubs broadcasting games is that the demand will be higher than anything they've seen before and they might not be able to deal with it in terms of bandwidth and the broadband connection.

Some folk will not be too keen to pay for a product that is run by volunteers making the best of the equipment they have, almost always from a single fixed camera. No way will the uptake be enough to make up for the lost ticket revenue.

Plus if there are technical issues for a game then you could see loads of folk demanding refunds, so there goes that income for a match.

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

I am sure setting up and broadcasting  online games would be easy and work flawlessly. Just like uploading a TikTok video innit.

😀

its not that difficult provided you have a strong enough feed.

My own church live streams every Sunday so yes with the correct connection I am sure Ayr or Alloa could.

In saying that we paid £14,000 for the system of fixed cameras so one person can control all of the cameras , the clubs may invest in a much lower cost system as once this is done the demand will not be too high for some games which they could then only sell overseas. 

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah that seems a pretty obvious approach.  I’d imagine most of us would be happy to pay for that and help keep our clubs afloat financially.

The loss of hospitality, car parking income, half time draw, programme sales and pies etc would be a major loss.

The upside is no stewarding or police costs.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

At £22 a pop (for Saints)? 

I would also imagine a fair few would club together to watch at one persons house (with all the risks that entails) - all in all I doubt you'd be getting anywhere near the same revenue as before as well as having to put players back on full salary.

Edited by btb

29 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Why? There is no reason they would decrease their income from a normal matchday (with the exception of catering and hospitality).  

🤪 er, okaaaaay then. 

Am I being whooshed somehow?

8 minutes ago, rb123! said:
5 hours ago, Dele said:

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You are never in a million years going to make anything like enough funding from online broadcast to cover existing gate receipts including season tickets. But you would need to pay players. 

I tend to agree with Monkey Tennis, unless you can massively cut wage budgets or someone is going to massively subsidise the game (which would cost tens of millions) then playing closed door is worse than not playing at all. If you play closed door you effectively need amateur squads.

Just now, SandyCromarty said:

The loss of hospitality, car parking income, half time draw, programme sales and pies etc would be a major loss.

The upside is no stewarding or police costs.

I’m not saying it’s perfect or nearly as good as live matches.  I’m saying it’s a compromise solution.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

The issue with clubs broadcasting games is that the demand will be higher than anything they've seen before and they might not be able to deal with it in terms of bandwidth and the broadband connection.

Some folk will not be too keen to pay for a product that is run by volunteers making the best of the equipment they have, almost always from a single fixed camera. No way will the uptake be enough to make up for the lost ticket revenue.

Plus if there are technical issues for a game then you could see loads of folk demanding refunds, so there goes that income for a match.

Even with our system at Saints which comes with staff from the provider we have had 2 games this season where for various reasons the staff have spent an hour before the game trying to get the stream up only to fail. They do they online TV for 7 of the Premiership clubs so its certainly not fool proof. 

1 minute ago, btb said:

I would also imagine a fair few would club together to watch at one persons house - all in all I doubt you'd be getting anywhere near the same revenue as before.

In that case they’re stupid miserable b*****ds who can’t complain if their clubs go belly up.

2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

If sturgeon follows through on her threat probably two thirds of teams in Scotland will probably go to the wall. If other countries are moving forwards and we are not probably puts international participation at stake as well.

Scotland v Israel at st James park anyone

For years now many lower league teams have been operating on a shoestring at the very basic level so they know how to survive, it's the bigger clubs who will suffer the most given their massive operating costs, Aberdeen for instance have stated that they are losing a million pounds a month right now. 

2 minutes ago, btb said:

I would also imagine a fair few would club together to watch at one persons house - all in all I doubt you'd be getting anywhere near the same revenue as before.

Which is the reason the interim chief medical officer does not want closed door games as there could be large numbers of people from various houses in one home. 

28 minutes ago, rb123! said:
6 hours ago, Dele said:

A substantial minority of football fans attend games with someone from the same household.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a family of four is not about to pay sticker price of about £50 to watch Ayr United v Thistle.

Indeed, the vast majority of people are not going to pay even half the match-day sticker price, and most season ticket-holders are going to ask why they're not being given free access.

The money that a pay-per-view service would generate, especially given that people are in financially uncertain times, wouldn't even come close to covering the Clubs' costs.

48 minutes ago, rb123! said:
6 hours ago, Dele said:

Pie in the sky nonsense. 

The Leagues/individual clubs should at least be looking in to the feasibility of small, pay-per-view or free-to-air contracts with TV channels for individual matches/packages of matches as a fallback option. You may not be able to look at top flight games due to the SKY contract, but having say, Dundee v ICT, or Dunfermline v Raith on BBC Alba, STV, Premier Sports or whatever might be a big enough draw for TV companies, as I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy to see some kind of live football, even if it's behind closed doors.

This is only a stopgap option, to at least provide some kind of extra income if we can't have crowds back to start with - 65% to home team, 25% to away team and the rest into a shared pot for all clubs perhaps???