Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Mad that Airdrie and Clyde could be playing games in Alloa according to that when the Excelsior and Broadwood would be ideal as a hub for social distancing at lower league games.
I'm sure it's pure coincidence that Mike Mulraney is chairman at Alloa Athletic.

On 15/05/2020 at 20:13, MuckleMoo said:

The championship, without supporters, is just not viable financially in its current state. If there is any possibility of games being played behind closed doors teams are going to need to go part time/amateur and the standard will most likely plummet as a result.

Are supporters going to pay to watch games online on a regular basis for a standard that is significantly lower than the shitshow that it is now? That's before you take into account the unreliability of the streaming services and the economic impact of the virus

When are unrestricted crowds likely going to be allowed back? Proably when we've reached herd immunity, we have a reliable treatment for the virus, or when we have a vaccine. I have no idea when these scenarios are likely to be achieved. I've read predictions ranging from months to never!

I honestly can't see football in the lower leagues starting this year, financially it's just not possible unless we're prepared for a massive drop in quality. If we do go down that road supporters will turn away in there droves plunging teams into even more financial difficulties.

This.

Personally, I would like to think that a streaming service could work so that we have the infrastructure to ‘go it ourselves’ when the next TV deal comes round.

But it’s just not worth pursuing right now - because football is one of the lowest priorities to restart (recognising and sympathising with the few hundred folk who’s livelihoods depend on it) and because it’s a massive financial risk.

You think the last couple of months of trying to find a resolution that meets “sporting integrity” have been a minefield?  Wait til we’re asking clubs to pull together a squad for a season with no clear start date or format as we speak, with no certainty over revenue, and which could be put on hiatus at any point under this desperate, childish and half-arsed restart.

23 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

I agree it's a shite state of affairs but here we are.

Is it possible for clubs to replace the revenue from gate receipts by streaming the games online? In my opinion no. Is there some other magic money tree out there that the clubs can tap into that hasn't been thought of yet? I doubt it.

Unless there's an unexpected development regarding the virus there is going to be no mass gatherings for the remainder of the year at least. I can see no other option than mothballing the teams, releasing players, coaches, and staff although I honestly don't know if this is doable.

My worry is that we start the season behind closed doors with no reliable revenue streams and clubs go to the wall and the league collapses. Better hunkering down for a time and letting the virus do its thing. Hopefully once it all blows over we can get back to some sort of normality

Absolutely.

And in a mothballed scenario, with smaller clubs typically having fewer liabilities, you might come out the other end with a football league in Scotland that has a more level playing field.

9 hours ago, virginton said:

1) We don't know what government support will be available in late summer/autumn. Which is the relevant time period for restarting the season. If clubs cannot host matches with paying customers then the government will likely have to support the league with extra funds.

2) Social distancing has only been in place for two months and is already being watered down where it suits the government to do so, such as in English schools. More and more of these fights going forward will be enough to ditch this shan policy: it's not a question of if but rather when that happens.

Oh and let's not forget that the same medical health experts that you're venerating right now were quite happy for Scottish football matches to continue up to and including an Old Firm game on March 15, before the SPFL suspended fixtures itself. Because they argued back then that outdoor events posed a less significant risk than having crowds in enclosed spaces like pubs. I expect a similar argument to get pulled out again on the downside of this outbreak curve.

3) There is quite clearly an interest in starting the 20/21 season at all levels of the SPFL with the minimum adjustments to the schedule that clubs deem necessary. Which is why have the hub proposal as well as Morton's chief executive setting out the three step return that clubs are thinking about as the way forward right now. There is not going to be an indefinite suspension until all those alternatives are exhausted: that is the job of every chief executive in the SPFL. 

On point 1 - go and read the comments of Joe FitzPatrick; the SG are, rightly, not going to be subsidising Scottish football clubs to play if physical distancing doesn’t allow crowds. Sadly, as a yet to be independent country, we don’t have the fiscal powers to take on the liabilities of every part of the economy and we’ll have to prioritise our spending - like a household, and like many households will do if faced with the question of, do I want to pay £15 to watch Morton - Raith Rovers on a poor quality production with no atmosphere, with no company, maybe with weans running about bored, and with half the league running shadow squads because they’re skint, and the competition being a bit of a mockery.

I do, though, agree with you that it is the job of club CEOs to consider all options.

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

Depends on what you mean by viable.

It won't replace match day income, that's for certain. It should, though, run at a profit compared to the cost of providing the service so if clubs are forced to play behind closed doors it would be a viable income stream which would be better than nothing.

Yes but the margin would be so reduced that clubs couldn’t put together any sort of decent squad.

Unless, of course, the SPFL as a whole was to pull streaming taking amongst its clubs. But we know Celtic, Rangers and frankly most others in the top two leagues wouldn’t entertain that.

I could see a scenario where those who feel they can and want to play under a closed door, streamed setup being free to do so in some bespoke, temporary competition, but clubs shouldn’t be forced to compete next season until it’s clear how the land lies. 

Which is some way away yet.

Guest SJP79

How many clubs are part time in the championship ?

The big spenders must be really feeling the pinch if this continues long term.

Edited by SJP79

15 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

The big spenders must be really feeling the pinch if this continues long term.

Absolutely every club will 'feel the pinch' if they have bills to pay with no money coming in 'in the long term', m8. 

5 hours ago, Dele said:

Absolutely every club will 'feel the pinch' if they have bills to pay with no money coming in 'in the long term', m8. 

The key will be minimalising these bills by not attempting to play matches, with some absurd belief in the potential for live streaming to be of much help.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I am now slowly reaching the opinion, that it might be better, missing next season altogether and starting 21/22 as normal, I know there will be player contract implications, but that's for the authorities, clubs and union to sort out

Guest SJP79
25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The key will be minimalising this bills by not attempting to play matches, with some absurd belief in the potential for live streaming to be of much help.

The other issue is testing, if your going to test all the players and staff the bills would be huge. 

1 minute ago, SJP79 said:

The other issue is testing, if your going to test all the players and staff the bills would be huge. 

If, as a nation we appear to be struggling to test,  them who need tested, suddenly we start testing footballers, really

Guest SJP79
13 minutes ago, ecto said:

I am now slowly reaching the opinion, that it might be better, missing next season altogether and starting 21/22 as normal, I know there will be player contract implications, but that's for the authorities, clubs and union to sort out

Its all the ground staff, hospitality, food suppliers, transport etc , the knock on effect is huge. 

Guest SJP79
11 minutes ago, ecto said:

If, as a nation we appear to be struggling to test,  them who need tested, suddenly we start testing footballers, really

The testing will fast become a money spinner for the pharmaceutical industry with big companies competing on the sale of tests. 

You pay your money you'll get your test thats how it will be as that in a nutshell is how capitalism works. 

Investors and the money men will be buying up shares in these companies and some people will be getting very rich out of covid-19.

Edited by SJP79

The key will be minimalising this bills by not attempting to play matches, with some absurd belief in the potential for live streaming to be of much help.
Is anyone suggesting that we should play matches behind closed doors simply because we have live streaming? I don't think so.

Mothballing the season is a huge risk. Yes, there are fewer bills to pay now but there's no guarantee that club's will be able to start up again with the same levels of income as before. Fans will find other ways to spend their time and money, ageing fanbases will get older and a year will be lost trying to replace them.

Guest SJP79

Covid-19: Bundesliga’s four big clubs pledge $22 million aid for financially struggling rivals

Four of Germany’s biggest football clubs have pledged 20 million euros ($22 million) to help Bundesliga rivals facing financial difficulty in the coronavirus crisis, the German Football League (DFL) announced Thursday.

Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen and RB Leipzig – all of whom qualified for this season’s Champions League – said they would make the funds available for crisis-hit clubs in the top two German divisions, which are run by the DFL.

“This decision underlines the fact that solidarity is not an empty word in the Bundesliga,” said DFL president Christian Seifert.

“The DFL is very grateful to the four Champions League participants.”

The four clubs will forego 12.5 million euros of their remaining share of next season’s TV rights revenues, and add a further 7.5 million euros from their own reserves.

The DFL itself will be responsible for deciding how the money is distributed among clubs in the top two divisions.

“In these difficult times, it is important that the stronger shoulders support the weaker shoulders. We want to show that football stands together,” said Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in a statement.

“We always said that we wanted to show solidarity when clubs fall into difficulty due to this extraordinary situation and through no fault of their own,” said his Dortmund counterpart Hans-Joachim Watzke.

Guest SJP79

The Bundesliga also bought 25000 tests, costing 90 pound each.

Thier approach is to make it work whilst our leagues are too busy arguing and fighting.  

1 hour ago, ecto said:

How would you feel if your work decided to scrap it for a year. Just let you sort it it out with the unions, your company and authorities?

1500 players, sorry people, dads with no job for a year.....

2 minutes ago, SueSue said:

How would you feel if your work decided to scrap it for a year. Just let you sort it it out with the unions, your company and authorities?

1500 players, sorry people, dads with no job for a year.....

Saying that doesn't magically make the money required to pay them automatically appear though.

Folk aren't just suggesting these things for the sake of it. They're suggesting them because they could be necessary.