Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

23 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

The Bundesliga also bought 25000 tests, costing 90 pound each.

Thier approach is to make it work whilst our leagues are too busy arguing and fighting.  

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, because they can afford to do that. We quite obviously can't.

This. 

The Bundesliga has a TV deal worth over 4.5billion Euros.

Scottish football is £150m.

The two leagues can clearly afford the same things.

A EFL League Two chairman claimed two days ago it would cost his club around £180k in tests for 10 matches.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, SueSue said:

How would you feel if your work decided to scrap it for a year. Just let you sort it it out with the unions, your company and authorities?

1500 players, sorry people, dads with no job for a year.....

Never said it would not be horrible, but at this present time, I cannot see how next season can be started, safely

Guest SJP79
16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, because they can afford to do that. We quite obviously can't.

I know i was just saying it can be done but it costs huge money, the ethics of who gets a test first go out the window when money is involved. 

52 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

The testing will fast become a money spinner for the pharmaceutical industry with big companies competing on the sale of tests. 

You pay your money you'll get your test thats how it will be as that in a nutshell is how capitalism works. 

Investors and the money men will be buying up shares in these companies and some people will be getting very rich out of covid-19.

There is no way our game or clubs can afford to buy the tests, there is barely enough money to keep clubs going

6 minutes ago, SueSue said:

How would you feel if your work decided to scrap it for a year. Just let you sort it it out with the unions, your company and authorities?

How would they have 'no job for a year'? 

If I get punted from my job, I can go into another industry. Do footballers in the Scottish Championship just retire from football and do nothing for the rest of their lives? 

Just for perspective, according to an EFL Chairman, its £18k per game for testing.

Top flight - 8 games left - £144k per team (£1.7m for the whole division)

Lower tiers - 8 games left - £144k per team (£4.3m for all three divisions)

Play offs - 18 games (I think) - £144k per team (£2.6m for all play offs)

Collectively Scottish football would need to invest £8.6m in tests alone to complete the season.

Millions of people are going to lose there livelihoods due to this fucker including me. Why the f**k should footballers be any different?

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just for perspective, according to an EFL Chairman, its £18k per game for testing.

Top flight - 8 games left - £144k per team (£1.7m for the whole division)

Lower tiers - 8 games left - £144k per team (£4.3m for all three divisions)

Play offs - 18 games (I think) - £144k per team (£2.6m for all play offs)

Collectively Scottish football would need to invest £8.6m in tests alone to complete the season.

That doesn’t add up at all...

If each side has 8 games left in the Premier that means 48 games still to be played (8 matchdays of six fixtures each).

How on earth do you conclude that 18 games in the playoffs cost more to test than 48 games in the Premier League?

With maths like that are you Neil Doncaster?

And is it £18k per game or £18 per club per game?

Edited by Ad Lib

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

That doesn’t add up at all...

If each side has 8 games left in the Premier that means 42 games still to be played (8 matchdays of six fixtures each).

How on earth do you conclude that 18 games in the playoffs cost more to test than 42 games in the Premier League?

With maths like that are you Neil Doncaster?

Quite.

Either way, the amount of money involved is well beyond Scottish football, which makes the bleating about "playing the season to a finish" a complete fantasy.

1 hour ago, MuckleMoo said:
1 hour ago, SueSue said:

Millions of people are going to lose there livelihoods due to this fucker including me. Why the f**k should footballers be any different?

In a purely Scottish context I don’t think millions will lose their jobs.  Mind you, if you’re one of those that do lose their jobs I suppose football is not a top priority.  For any who are not/less affected then we might see the survival of our teams as quite important.

In a purely Scottish context I don’t think millions will lose their jobs.  Mind you, if you’re one of those that do lose their jobs I suppose football is not a top priority.  For any who are not/less affected then we might see the survival of our teams as quite important.
I was referring to the UK

5 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I was referring to the UK

I suppose the same logic applies.  I hope you don’t lose your job; if you do I’m sure that will be a bigger priority than most other things.

I suppose the same logic applies.  I hope you don’t lose your job; if you do I’m sure that will be a bigger priority than most other things.
To be honest the redundancy package is half decent, it's going to allow me to retrain and keep my head above water for several months. Actually looking forward to it!

I agree that people will have different opinions based on there current circumstances. Believe me, I don't want to see any clubs go under. I just take exception to the idea that professional footballers should somehow be treated differently

13 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

I agree that people will have different opinions based on there current circumstances. Believe me, I don't want to see any clubs go under. I just take exception to the idea that professional footballers should somehow be treated differently

Apparently footballers can only do football. (Even then, at this level that skillset is fucking scarce) 

Edited by Dele

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quite.

Either way, the amount of money involved is well beyond Scottish football, which makes the bleating about "playing the season to a finish" a complete fantasy.

You meant to say 18 play-offs, with testing of £18k for each team.  That gives us £648k, though whether the total is £8.6m or £6.7m is neither here nor there!

There may be the odd ex-player 'bleating' about playing the season to a finish, but is any club really arguing for that?

As others have said, there will hopefully be competition in the pharmaceutical industry which will drive down the cost of testing in time.  The wider world is far more important than football, but the game will hopefully benefit from a reduction in costs in time.

I guess the Premiership will be pressured by Sky to suck up whatever the costs are if and when permission is granted to play.  I wonder whether each club will have to meet its own costs or whether the SPFL will offer to meet the costs from an initial payment from Sky.

Clearly £18k (or anywhere near that number) would be a blocker for the other leagues.

14 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

On point 1 - go and read the comments of Joe FitzPatrick; the SG are, rightly, not going to be subsidising Scottish football clubs to play if physical distancing doesn’t allow crowds.

I've no idea who 'Joe FitzPatrick' is, or why he should be considered a voice of authority on anything. If football cannot proceed with its main income source available to it due directly to government measures then the government will be expected to pick up a significant proportion of the tab. And to the SG's credit, it seems that their door has been left open for the SPFL throughout the process so far.

It is in nobody's interest to leave 32 SPFL clubs floundering without their chief source of income for fully 15 months with an election taking place at the end of it.

Sadly, as a yet to be independent country, we don’t have the fiscal powers to take on the liabilities of every part of the economy and we’ll have to prioritise our spending - like a household

The SG is not run by thick Tories and so understands that the state is not the same as a household. If it maintains strict social distancing advice then the government will be obliged to prop up the huge tracts of the services and hospitality industries that will not be able to function profitably under those restrictions: including professional football. This is because the economic losses of not taking action and letting businesses collapse all over the country are greater than either the financial outlay of government support or the public health costs of rowing back on social distancing requirements further down the line from here. That's how politics works.

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Dele said:

How would they have 'no job for a year'? 

If I get punted from my job, I can go into another industry. Do footballers in the Scottish Championship just retire from football and do nothing for the rest of their lives? 

So you think every player will walk into another job..... most full time players will never had any other kind of job in their lives. Most will be working towards what they do after football if they have anything about them.

Add to that unemployment will be at its highest for years.

2 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:
2 hours ago, SueSue said:

Nobody said footballers should be treat any different. 
I have the same opinion about any industry being scrapped or anyone being laid off...... 

We are in a football forum not a general fucking chat.

So scrapping football would be a major setback to players, staff, and any other staff that a club have. And yes they would have to find other jobs.