Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

26 minutes ago, SueSue said:

So you think every player will walk into another job..... most full time players will never had any other kind of job in their lives. Most will be working towards what they do after football if they have anything about them.

Footballers literally skip queues for jobs simply because they played football and folk doing interviews want to say they're pals with footballers. 

It happens at every level, there are junior players signing for teams because they get a better Mon - Fri job out of it. 

Save us the 'woe is them'. There will be plenty of folk out of work who won't get half the opportunities they will just because of something they done in a completely unrelated field. 

Footballers literally skip queues for jobs simply because they played football and folk doing interviews want to say they're pals with footballers. 
It happens at every level, there are junior players signing for teams because they get a better Mon - Fri job out of it. 
Save us the 'woe is them'. There will be plenty of folk out of work who won't get half the opportunities they will just because of something they done in a completely unrelated field. 
Young folk coming out of school I feel sorry for. Competition in almost all sectors is going to be huge and they will fond themselves going up against folk with bags of experience for all sorts of work.

36 minutes ago, virginton said:

I've no idea who 'Joe FitzPatrick' is, or why he should be considered a voice of authority on anything. If football cannot proceed with its main income source available to it due directly to government measures then the government will be expected to pick up a significant proportion of the tab. And to the SG's credit, it seems that their door has been left open for the SPFL throughout the process so far.

It is in nobody's interest to leave 32 SPFL clubs floundering without their chief source of income for fully 15 months with an election taking place at the end of it.

The SG is not run by thick Tories and so understands that the state is not the same as a household. If it maintains strict social distancing advice then the government will be obliged to prop up the huge tracts of the services and hospitality industries that will not be able to function profitably under those restrictions: including professional football. This is because the economic losses of not taking action and letting businesses collapse all over the country are greater than either the financial outlay of government support or the public health costs of rowing back on social distancing requirements further down the line from here. That's how politics works.

Firstly, you could have at least googled JF.  He's Scotland's Sports Minister and is quite a bit closer to all of this than you.

Secondly, without fiscal powers - beyond limited powers around setting some tax rates - there's little difference between our devolved government and a household, other than scale.  So we're stuck with budgeting and prioritising our spending within what we have.  Yes, it would be great if all sectors could be supported for as long as needed, but that's not within the SGs gift, we'll be reliant on the UKG which is already signalling that it will be phasing out the support it has put in place.  And of course, those same Tories will be coming to the public to ask us to pay up when we're out the other side - that's going to include a huge squeeze on public sector workers and a reduction in employee rights and benefits.

Thirdly, the SG will in no way be obliged to subsidise football and I hope that there is no CEO within Scottish football who is remotely banking on this.  You're right to say those same CEOs should be looking at all options.  The fact though, that it seems that many in the game are only turning their attention to this, the fundamental issue, in the past week or so having spent been side-tracked into the big Hearts reconstruction benefit and getting embroiled in the latest pissing match between Rangers and Celtic, doesn't fill me with any confidence that they'll find a solution.  These people include the likes of Gerry Britton ffs!  That there is not an obvious solution means that there probably isn't one.

Guest SJP79

Its a shame it got bitter so quickly which spread to some fans who are vying for the downfall of rival clubs. 

I cant help but think that many arent seeing the bigger picture  in this crisis.

Edited by SJP79

4 hours ago, SJP79 said:

The Bundesliga also bought 25000 tests, costing 90 pound each.

Thier approach is to make it work whilst our leagues are too busy arguing and fighting.  

I think your first line explains the "make it work" bit of your second.

Our failure to find that kind of money has nothing whatever to do with "arguing and fighting".

Guest SJP79
1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think your first line explains the "make it work" bit of your second.

Our failure to find that kind of money has nothing whatever to do with "arguing and fighting".

Fair point , cash is king and the bundesliga have bucket loads of the stuff

1 hour ago, Morton Supporter said:

Secondly, without fiscal powers - beyond limited powers around setting some tax rates - there's little difference between our devolved government and a household, other than scale.  So we're stuck with budgeting and prioritising our spending within what we have.  Yes, it would be great if all sectors could be supported for as long as needed, but that's not within the SGs gift, we'll be reliant on the UKG which is already signalling that it will be phasing out the support it has put in place. 

The UK Government is only phasing out support in exchange for businesses returning to normal trading. Which, as we can already see from the English schools debate going on right now, involves a loosening of the social distancing advice as the government recognises that it is completely incompatible with the normal functioning of the economy.

The fact that the SG is largely reliant on Westminster is important only in the sense that when the UK Government decides to scale down its public health restrictions and according support for affected businesses, the SG will be obliged to follow suit due to the end of the same financial package to the devolved administrations. It does not mean that businesses in Scotland cannot be supported until the stage that they can return to normal trading.

And of course, those same Tories will be coming to the public to ask us to pay up when we're out the other side - that's going to include a huge squeeze on public sector workers and a reduction in employee rights and benefits.

That's completely irrelevant to the immediate decision of the government to either provide support to businesses that are unable to trade thanks to its public health restrictions or wind down its restrictions. We will already pay through the nose for the current lockdown measures in the long run.

Thirdly, the SG will in no way be obliged to subsidise football and I hope that there is no CEO within Scottish football who is remotely banking on this.

The fundamental mistake that you are making throughout this debate is thinking that this is a problem that only affects professional football or sports more broadly: it impacts the entire hospitality, leisure and tourism sectors that make up a substantial portion of the Scottish and UK economies. So the SG will in fact be obliged to provide business support until its own restrictions on normal activity are lifted; unless of course they are stupid enough to risk a wave of business collapse and unemployment immediately before a Holyrood election.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

So you think every player will walk into another job..... most full time players will never had any other kind of job in their lives. Most will be working towards what they do after football if they have anything about them.

Add to that unemployment will be at its highest for years.

I'm not being facetious when I say that most of our players would have been looking for work anyway.

I can't see that many of them would have been offered another full-time contract anywhere.

Obviously it's not only about us, and it is a shame for players if this halt becomes extended.  In truth though, I'm much more concerned about the future of clubs than of players.  It's not their faults, but players have far more transient relationships with their employers now anyway.  I've often thought that playing at our level is precarious, and an unforeseen crisis like this definitely exposes that.

Young lads who play football are not really among the victims I feel most sorry for in all of this though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I've no idea who 'Joe FitzPatrick' is, or why he should be considered a voice of authority on anything.

Joe Fitzpatrick is the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing for the Scottish Government - I think his opinion just might be important when it comes to the Scottish Government providing public monies for football clubs.

Guest SJP79
2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Joe Fitzpatrick is the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing for the Scottish Government - I think his opinion just might be important when it comes to the Scottish Government providing public monies for football clubs.

Are you thinking like a long term furlough scheme until fans return ?

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Great, now you can point me to his opinion that supposedly sinks any sort of support mechanism for those pesky, money-grubbing football clubs.

12 minutes ago, Dele said:

Is Joe Fitzpatrick the boy from Dundee with the IRA tattoos or was that another Labour boy from Lochee way? 

That sounds potentially like it could be a description of George Galloway.  Probably more of a PLO man though.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Must be someone else you are thinking of.

I've known Fitzpatrick for over 30 years and he never struck me as being an IRA sympathiser.

My mistake. Jim McGovern.