Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I doubt they'll win but stranger things have happened and it being a "member's decision" won't hold any water if it's deemed due process wasn't followed. Of course presumably then due process could then be followed to arrive at the same result but with a significant delay.

Which is exactly what happened in France.

The decision was quashed because the process was flawed, but there is nothing to stop the same decision being reached following the correct process.

51 minutes ago, The Master said:

The decision was quashed because the process was flawed, but there is nothing to stop the same decision being reached following the correct process.

I’m pretty sure in France the decision was quashed because the organising body just took a decision without consultation. Would seem to me very different than months of talks and several votes between equal members.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

It was because the agreement in place that limited Ligue 1 to 20 clubs is due to expire on 30 June.  That had not been taken into account.  The French league and FA had basically assumed that it would be 20 clubs next season as well.  The clubs due to be relegated pointed out that there could be an agreement for 22 clubs and that would require a re-think.

So it may only be a temporary victory.  If the clubs stick to a 20 team Ligue 1, the decision to relegate the two clubs is surely going to stick.

14 minutes ago, rb123! said:

"We have seen the results in Belgium and in France, where the Belgium competition and markets authority and the French Supreme Court kicked relegation into touch, saying 'no, you cannot do that'.

"Only in Scotland do we choose to relegate a club on an incomplete season and, even worse, a club, namely Partick Thistle, who were only behind because they had cancelled a game for a cup-tie the previous week. It actually beggars belief. But that is where we are at."

I particularly liked these two snippets from Leslie Deans.

1 - Well no, that's not what the French Supreme Court said. They set it aside over a procedural issue. It will presumably be reinstated in due course. They certainly didn't say they cannot relegate.

2 - Interesting to note that Thistle only had to play that game to not be relegated. Presumably this is under some new rule Hearts have invented whereby you get a couple of points for getting games on? Meanwhile back in the real world Thistle would have actually had to WIN that game. Away. To the side in 2nd spot. When they hadn't won a League game in 2020.

I'm not saying Thistle couldn't have won it, of course they could, they won there earlier in the season, nor that Thistle weren't particularly hard done to, because they clearly were and we were very lucky. But this re-writing of history to say they were only bottom because they postponed a game due to the Challenge Cup is laughable!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Dear god, that is painfully hilarious reading

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5707618/partick-legal-action-spfl-hearts-generous-offer/

This is pretty funny too

To those who think we should just move on and accept what’s been dished out to us, yesterday 26 clubs put themselves first.

"Today, we have now been given the opportunity to do the same

57 minutes ago, rb123! said:

...yesterday 26 clubs put themselves first.

Pretty surprised it wasn’t 39.

All that being said, they might try to challenge the adopted  Rule C53, as that’s the only way I see them possibly succeeding. Perhaps they feel they can prove something illegal, or that some obscure provision of the Regulations wasn’t followed. A striking of C53 would result in all the decisions about ending the season and the associated moves being voided, at which point, all the SPFL teams would be liable to refund the recently distributed payments.

That, to me, suggests that Hearts haven’t thought this one through completely, and Partick just jumped onto the turnip waggon without pondering the same thing. This could result in several things, the most likely being a delay in planning and scheduling the season, causing other clubs financial distress due to the inability to offer season tickets. Even with an expedited hearing schedule, never a given (but likely), choking clubs off from their revenue while at the same time threatening to impose a repayment requirement is not likely to endear Hearts and Partick to the rest of the SPFL.

While I agree the Partick were worst done by, they still were unlikely to raise themselves from the relegation spot in that one game. Adding themselves to Ms. Budge’s protest is unlikely to play out any better. They would have done much better for themselves by staying out of it, as any resolution for Hearts would almost by default have included Partick and Stranraer.

In the end, I expect Hearts case to be thrown out, but if regardless of if it succeeds I expect this to kill some clubs due to delays, uncertainties and costs if not resolved within a couple of weeks. Is that perhaps Hearts calculus, that the SPFL will have to settle to avoid the chaos?

8 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Ayr haven't played Hearts in a league match since1983. I think we'll cope without them.

Aye, but the money we made has kept us going for the last 30 odd years...