Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

In the end, I expect Hearts case to be thrown out, but if regardless of if it succeeds I expect this to kill some clubs due to delays, uncertainties and costs if not resolved within a couple of weeks. 

Well all clubs now have access to loans of "up to £5m" through an SPFL agreement with Close Brothers finance, so theres that.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Well all clubs now have access to loans of "up to £5m" through an SPFL agreement with Close Brothers finance, so theres that.

I can assure you that having access to loans isn’t always a good thing, long-term. If you have a Board (or in our case, ex-Board) with its head up it’s ass, you can easily end up like Raith, with a nasty overhanging debt that impedes the level of spending that our attendance would normally allow. Unless you think the new standard in the SPFL should be welching on loans, which a number of our brethren teams seem to feel is a normal business activity. 

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I can assure you that having access to loans isn’t always a good thing, long-term. If you have a Board (or in our case, ex-Board) with its head up it’s ass, you can easily end up like Raith, with a nasty overhanging debt that impedes the level of spending that our attendance would normally allow. Unless you think the new standard in the SPFL should be welching on loans, which a number of our brethren teams seem to feel is a normal business activity. 

Absolutely and hopefully nobody has to use it, but I can't see any club dying when that option is available, even if they just take out a fairly minor loan.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Pretty surprised it wasn’t 39.

While I agree the Partick were worst done by, they still were unlikely to raise themselves from the relegation spot in that one game. Adding themselves to Ms. Budge’s protest is unlikely to play out any better. They would have done much better for themselves by staying out of it, as any resolution for Hearts would almost by default have included Partick and Stranraer.

I think it absolutely WAS 42 clubs. Who didn't vote for their own benefit? Certainly not Hearts, Partick Thistle and Stranraer anyway. For "26 clubs put themselves first" read "26 clubs didn't vote a way that suited Partick Thistle whilst every club put themselves first". There are clubs for whom the difference was maybe fairly negligible financially and not much else who therefore may have afforded a wee bit of altruism but that's a particular circumstance that allows it, it's not like the big bad 26 were committing a crime against humanity. They voted what was best for them. Thistle, Hearts etc voted what was best for them. They lost, so get to throw words around at the others.

I did wonder about that in the legal action. I appreciate a joint action may make it seem stronger. I fail to understand what exactly it achieves in direct benefit though. Hearts would have been as well presumably offering to add Thistle and Stranraer to the complaint if they wanted whilst continuing to fund it (maybe they did and all that Thistle need is their own legal adviser to sit in). There is no scenario presumably where Hearts alone can be saved from relegation. Either the motion to end the season and relegate the bottom clubs was valid or it wasn't. Any result that saves Hearts is bound to also save Thistle and Stranraer by sending it all back to the drawing board the Courts clearly cannot order a 14-10-10-10 structure though that may be what they are left with to restart quickly if the Courts somehow order a halt to relegation.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There is but as you acknowledge yourself, no matter how reasonable the interest rate is, no club wants to get into loan debt if they can avoid it. You end up paying for that for years and digging yourself into debt for years to come. As you say though, certainly a better option than going bankrupt.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 - Interesting to note that Thistle only had to play that game to not be relegated. Presumably this is under some new rule Hearts have invented whereby you get a couple of points for getting games on? Meanwhile back in the real world Thistle would have actually had to WIN that game. Away. To the side in 2nd spot. When they hadn't won a League game in 2020.
I'm not saying Thistle couldn't have won it, of course they could, they won there earlier in the season, nor that Thistle weren't particularly hard done to, because they clearly were and we were very lucky. But this re-writing of history to say they were only bottom because they postponed a game due to the Challenge Cup is laughable!

I think the real issue with this is particks record against Inverness this season...

Why does the start date and number of fixtures in the Championship affect the Premiership, L1 & L2 teams? 

Totally missing the point! I can’t remember any other season that each division decides individually when to start and how many games to play. If you can point out where that’s allowed just let me know.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Nothing to do with bring bottom of the league all season then... 

Screenshot_20200616-165315.png

Only bottom because they didn't play a rearranged figure? Very presumptuous that they would have won.

3 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Totally missing the point! I can’t remember any other season that each division decides individually when to start and how many games to play. If you can point out where that’s allowed just let me know.

Hmmm, if only there was a reason for this, something that makes the upcoming season different from others....

As to your second part, just check out the SPFL rules.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Only bottom because they didn't play a rearranged figure? Very presumptuous that they would have won.

Yeah having not won in 10 attempts in 2020! 

'Its a miscarriage of justice!' they cry

Get fucking doon!

As did Partick when they failed to beat at home a tanking, woeful Queen of the South team who had just been eviscerated by The Famous three days earlier. And failed to win any other league game in the whole of 2020 for that matter.
It's truly the world's greatest injustice then that they were papped down to the seaside leagues for being utter dogshit by the cruel judgment of the SPFL.

Of course you have forgotten that we had been awarded a penalty, which was ready to be taken, when the linesman who hadn’t indicated anything wrong, suddenly decided to tell the referee that it shouldn’t be awarded for some reason. Nobody is denying we were rubbish and no certainty that we would have made up the couple of points - but it is another incidence of the SPFL making up the rules as they go along, like allowing each league to decide when to start and how many games to play. That’s what beggars belief.

We were in good form, particularly at home and had coronavirus not ended the season, I was pretty confident we were going to swat Thistle aside pretty comprehensively the midweek we went into lockdown.

So, for season 2019/2020:

-If you finished bottom of the league the results for the season stands.

-If you finished top of the league the results for the season stands.

-If you finished in a play off spot the season was effectively declared null and void.

I guess that’s considered treating every club equally.

Hmmm, if only there was a reason for this, something that makes the upcoming season different from others....
As to your second part, just check out the SPFL rules.

Can you tell me which rule ? As far as you 1st point. So it wasn’t necessary for the season to finish to be able to pay out prize money ?

Why can’t the championship start at the same time as the premiership?

Of course it's absurdly and comically presumptuous to suggest that only the postponement meant they were bottom.  Even that is missing the point though.

The 'final' placings that determined promotion or relegation weren't meant to be predictions of how things would have been after a full season.  That's why form in February and March did not (in itself) come into it, despite Tom English's view.

Instead, the placings simply reflected how things stood when the axe fell.  PPG was put in place to iron out the fact that not all sides had played the same number of matches.  

Imperfect?  Yes, of course.

Intrinsically unjust:  No, it's not.

28 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Totally missing the point! I can’t remember any other season that each division decides individually when to start and how many games to play. 

Why wouldnt that be the case? 

Its ridiculous to hold Premiership sides, with many have £10m+ turnovers, to the same standards as League Two sides.

Each division has to decide what's best for themselves. 

Either that or it's part of a mass conspiracy against Partick. 

22 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Of course you have forgotten that we had been awarded a penalty, which was ready to be taken, when the linesman who hadn’t indicated anything wrong, suddenly decided to tell the referee that it shouldn’t be awarded for some reason. Nobody is denying we were rubbish and no certainty that we would have made up the couple of points - but it is another incidence of the SPFL making up the rules as they go along, like allowing each league to decide when to start and how many games to play. That’s what beggars belief.

I'm sure fans can point out decisions that went for Partick, like your late equaliser against us at Firhill.

Why does having each league start at different times 'beggar belief'? There's obvious, obvious reasons for that.

13 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

So, for season 2019/2020:

-If you finished bottom of the league the results for the season stands.

-If you finished top of the league the results for the season stands.

-If you finished in a play off spot the season was effectively declared null and void.

I guess that’s considered treating every club equally.

You know fine well why the playoffs couldn't be played. Those in the playoff places have (mostly) accepted the circumstances and have just got on with things instead of tearful, moronic statements all over the place.

6 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Can you tell me which rule ? As far as you 1st point. So it wasn’t necessary for the season to finish to be able to pay out prize money ?

Why can’t the championship start at the same time as the premiership?

Take a look at the rules.

Also the government guidance has played a role in it too as the Premiership being able to start is in a different phase to the other leagues.

You're at it though. You know all this fine. You're crying like it's a regular season upcoming, but you know fine well why it's different.

'Beggars belief' 😅

You're either monumentally thick or absolutely at it.