Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Don't get me wrong, the Challenge Cup was great. Even in an idealised system, there are clubs who will never, ever get a sniff at a major trophy. A cup tournament for the diddies was a great idea, and I miss it.

It was hijacked for political reasons under the veil of not being profitable enough, as if that's why we're all here. Unfortunately, its demise will see attention focus on those lower leagues leeching all that money away from the big earners, but the current Challenge Cup serves no purpose to anyone, and the original version isn't going to return.

I remember SD on here (who does have more of a handle on these things than most) saying that some changes to format had been necessary, not to bump up profits, but to allow the tournament to be viable at all.

I'd prefer if it could run along its original lines, but I'm not sure it can.  It would be a shame, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current necessary break finishes it off.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

10 minutes ago, The Master said:

The Challenge Cup is a competition where I don’t particularly care if we go out (unless it’s a real embarrassment), but want us to win it if we reach the final. 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Challenge Cup is an absolute irrelevance unless you're in the final and it becomes a great day out. 

It's not worth the hassle IMO.

By the same stretch if you are at the semi you want to be in the final having come through it so far. 

Id shake the competition right up, no foreign clubs, no youth academies.  

Challenge Cup - the captain's of 30 clubs from the SPFL, 17 from the Lowland League and 17 from the Highland League all compete in various challenges in a knockout format. 

• Round 1 - 64 man over the top rope battle royale (first 34 over the top rope are out).
  • Round 2 - mini golf (top 15 go through).
  • Round 3 -  stock car racing (top 10 go through).
  • Quarter Final - scavenger hunt (first 4 with a completed list go through). 
  • Semi Final - split 4 into two teams for Rocket League and the winning team are the finalists. 
  • Final - chessboxing. 

We can get people to learn to love the challenge cup again.  This is the way. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like the Challenge Cup.  It's provided a couple of big moments for Queens fans down the years.  

Yeah, I remember.  <_<

When somebody says "half the town was there", that was very literally the case with Brechin.  Scottish Cup days at Ibrox (9 in a row era) & Parkhead never came close to attracting nearly as many fans from our side.  But as others allude to, anything before the semi-final feels like a glorified friendly.

The inclusion of foreign teams is tremendous for fans of clubs who'll likely never qualify for Europe and will never get a competitive game outside of Scotland. The rescheduling of dates to accommodate Bohemians was a farce though, if you're in the tournament you can turn up on the scheduled date for your round or f**k off.

Colt sides can obviously get in the bin. At whatever point we have crowds back for a normal season, get the competition up and running again with the colts out and 12 Highland/Lowland League clubs replacing them. No other changes are required.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The inclusion of foreign teams is tremendous for fans of clubs who'll likely never qualify for Europe and will never get a competitive game outside of Scotland.

Berwick aren't coming back up any time soon, are they.

Pre-match drinks for a Scottish Second Division game in a pub full of St George's flags (with England playing on TV and being cheered on by locals with Edinburgh-like accents) was a weird away day. 

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yeah, I remember.  <_<

When somebody says "half the town was there", that was very literally the case with Brechin.  Scottish Cup days at Ibrox (9 in a row era) & Parkhead never came close to attracting nearly as many fans from our side.  But as others allude to, anything before the semi-final feels like a glorified friendly.

Not to worry, your bumpkin township will have the Highland League Cup to get excited about soon enough. 

image.png.5326af5ad9ce06482be610786fb70f39.png

8 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Bump the colts (and can we stop fucking calling them that) and bring in more foreign and island teams.

Eriskay away please.

_106365118_eriskaynewtwohorses.jpg

Eta: note the bumping of colts in this photo.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Bit confused about the Greenock enthusiasm for an away day to see an utterly random semi-pro side from outside Scotland's borders. Just arrange a supporters club trip to an actual worthwhile destination of your own choosing, FFS.

Wait...have the SPFL been inviting UK sides based on pub quality all this time?

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Bit confused about the Greenock enthusiasm for an away day to see an utterly random semi-pro side from outside Scotland's borders. Just arrange a supporters club trip to an actual worthwhile destination of your own choosing, FFS.

Wait...have the SPFL been inviting UK sides based on pub quality all this time?

You're right. Forget it. We'll just play Queen of the South for the 80th time in a few years.

Can we get the Challenge Cup back to midweek, at least in the early rounds? I quite enjoy the games on a Tuesday night in August. A Saturday in October just gets in the way.

Appreciate the foreign teams being included probably makes it necessary but it’s shite rearranging league games so you can play Dumbarton.