Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

13 minutes ago, true_rover said:
1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:
There was a separate vote on the Playoffs, that involved all clubs, so that had no impact on the decision for the Championship.
It required 9 Premiership, 8 Championship and 15 clubs from L1/2 for it to pass. It got 8, 4, 19 so also failed.

Interesting that one team who didn't vote for 5 subs in the Championship were happy for it in the playoffs.

Likely to have been a club at the bottom end looking for advantage over the L1 club would imagine (even though that L1 club would likely be the current version of a big squad of failures, at big spending but little Falkirk.

Edited by Jamie_M

39 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/challenge-cup-cancelled-for-202021

No surprise, and I agree with the decision, but typically poor that the SPFL didn't bother advising the non-league clubs who would have been involved.  

Mm. It's not competition they are "entitled" to enter. They get an invite. Perhaps it would have been courteous to let them know ahead of a press release but they must surely have expected this. It's a competition which is barely worth playing financially at the best of times never mind with no sponsor and no crowd.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
39 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:
https://spfl.co.uk/news/challenge-cup-cancelled-for-202021
No surprise, and I agree with the decision, but typically poor that the SPFL didn't bother advising the non-league clubs who would have been involved.  

It wasn't clear if they'd be invited this year anyway.

Perhaps not, but it would only have taken a few minutes to send an e-mail to the clubs concerned.  

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Mm. It's not competition they are "entitled" to enter. They get an invite. Perhaps it would have been courteous to let them know ahead of a press release but they must surely have expected this. It's a competition which is barely worth playing financially at the best of times never mind with no sponsor and no crowd.

It would have been courteous to let them know, and I am sure the clubs concerned are still a bit sore about the similar lack of courtesy involved when the play-offs were cancelled.  In both cases the decision was logical, but a well run organisation would handle the communications properly.

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Was thinking exactly this. Would be outraged if we haven't consulted the Irish, NI, Welsh and English teams too come to think of it.

46 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought it did still have a sponsor?

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Did it? I may be wrong about that then but it was still buttons?

It was Tunnock’s Caramel Wafers. How could you forget that? We had made the final and I was looking forward to my free caramel wafer. Hopefully Tunnock’s Teacakes are the next sponsor.

Aye I remember our club making a pint of losing out a bit when we played Boreham Wood away 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The Challenge Cup is utter keech... let’s hope we’ve seen the last of it.

This.

It was only kept going to persuade SPFL clubs that colt teams would be a positive addition to the senior ranks, and to establish cross-border competition with England. It's failed wildly at both, so put it out of it's misery, for God's sake.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

This.

It was only kept going to persuade SPFL clubs that colt teams would be a positive addition to the senior ranks, and to establish cross-border competition with England. It's failed wildly at both, so put it out of it's misery, for God's sake.

Couldnt disagree more. I like it. Couldnt care less if the Colt teams participate or not. If people werent paranoid about Colt teams in the League (which I agree should never happen) they wouldnt be bothered about it either. Dont particularly like the cross border aspect but otherwise I hope it comes back. 

Its right to cancel it this year though.

I like the Challenge Cup.  It's provided a couple of big moments for Queens fans down the years.  

The 'foreign' teams thing I can just about live with, although it seems unnecessary, and has become farcical at times with ties forfeited and suchlike.

The colt thing is horrible though.  Even if it's not the thin end of some wedge designed to see such sides admitted to leagues, it's horrible.  It devalues the tournament in its own right.

I like the Challenge Cup.  It's provided a couple of big moments for Queens fans down the years.  
The 'foreign' teams thing I can just about live with, although it seems unnecessary, and has become farcical at times with ties forfeited and suchlike.
The colt thing is horrible though.  Even if it's not the thin end of some wedge designed to see such sides admitted to leagues, it's horrible.  It devalues the tournament in its own right.
I agree with this and have had fun with the Challenge Cup over the years but I would take it a step further than you because for me it absolutely is the thin end of the wedge you describe and my disdain for colts reaches further than my fond memories of Challenge Cup of years gone by. I'd happily see it sacrificed at the altar of fucking the Colts off once and for all.