Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Football clubs aren’t charities. I wouldn’t do it personally but if someone is skint and desperate for the money they’re entitled to ask for it back.

Agreed - And they're entitled to ask for it without the nigh on emotional blackmail that Lachlan spinned it just because people have an emotional investment in the club.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would be pretty stupid for fans to demand a season ticket refund if they knew if would harm their club.

See, im not so sure. I think someone would be well within their rights to do it and if individual circumstances mean getting some cash back from a season ticket is significant enough to make an impact, then its fair to seek it to have only paid for the matches played to date. Edit: was thinking clubs can increase discounts to existing st holders to mitigate this problem but i doubt itd be anything significant...

I wouldnt judge anyone getting a refund; ive been prudent personally, thankfully, so ill just write it off if need be, but that might not be true for everyone.

Edit: beaten to it

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I do wonder that the SPFL has gone ahead with this vote on the basis that it will drag out a result for them. If they misjudged this and the proposal is voted down there appears to be no feasible plan B (from what I can see) other than people saying it needs to be fair, with no definition of what that is. Null and void does not appear to be on the table.

These are some of the exact same tactics Neil Doncaster produced the last time we had a game changing vote. He repeatedly said that this was the only option, clubs would go bust if we didn't vote it through and then when it was rejected, magically proposed a new deal.

It's the exact same from the SPFL board this time round - except we've had less Doncaster style rhetoric and it's just more implicit by holding back the cash and saying we can't release it.

If it doesn’t go through but it’s close they’ll maybe look at what could be amended to sway a couple of clubs to vote yes and if those amendments are feasible they’ll try again.  If that’s not possible then can the board not just call it themselves?

2 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

If it doesn’t go through but it’s close they’ll maybe look at what could be amended to sway a couple of clubs to vote yes and if those amendments are feasible they’ll try again.  If that’s not possible then can the board not just call it themselves?

If the board call it, then they'd not have a leg to stand on when Ann Budge etc throw their respective lawyers at them.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

it's just more implicit by holding back the cash and saying we can't release it.

Have they said that though?

They released money for the top flight. No idea if theyve said why the lower leagues not been the same.

Maybe lower league teams dont want the money dripfed to them and would rather get a lump sum.

43 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

To keep paying their staff 100% at this time where there are other options available is madness.

To be fair thats a good point. If Ayr are in the position that two months of paying the extra 20% voluntarily will put them out iof business then its absolutely mental that they are doing so.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can you get furloughed twice, by different companies?

As an example. Dundee put all players on furlough. Players contract expires in May. He agrees to join other club, can the new club furlough him?

If not, then clubs furloughing players might be fucking them over entirely if this runs beyond their contracts.

26 minutes ago, Dele said:

You had to be on your employers payroll by end 28th February. 

This. At the end of current contracts presuming we are not back at work, then players will have to be extended, or leave and be unemployed. Technically can sign for other clubs from June 9th but I doubt many will be hiring as they cant furlough a new employee. FIFA have also said they will move the window anyway so that needs more clarity.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theyve done that in the top flight.

They havent done anything in the top flight they havent done in other divisions. They have made the interim payments due to all clubs in April two weeks early. There is still a further payout due at the end of May but that depends on finishing position and clubs finishing 10th wont have much more to get.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have they said that though?

They released money for the top flight. No idea if theyve said why the lower leagues not been the same.

Maybe lower league teams dont want the money dripfed to them and would rather get a lump sum.

Based on Rangers & Hearts statements suggests they haven't. And for Rangers standards, their statement isn't the worst bar the hiding of the real reason their against the vote.

'As a club, Rangers will immediately propose a member’s resolution which would release prize money to be distributed to all clubs throughout Scotland urgently. We believe that this is the priority in the present circumstances. It is vital to show respect for all clubs across the Scottish game, regardless of league position or financial standing. We must work together with a unity of purpose for the betterment of the Scottish game.'

And considering it's a statement from SPFL board member, Stewart Robertson, I'd suggested they've not released all the money.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They havent done anything in the top flight they havent done in othet divisions. They have made the interim payments due to all clubs in April two weeks early. There is still a further payout due at the end of May but that depends on finishing position and clubs finishing 10th wont have much more to get.

So teams in all tiers have been paid money by the SPFL?

The League One thread is filled with people claiming the SPFL is purposely withholding all money until the clubs back this proposal.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair tgats a good point. If Ayr are in the position that two months of paying the extra 20% voluntarily will put them out iof business then its absolutely mental that they are doing so.

It takes a 30 second scan of Lachlan Cameron's Twitter to realise he'd rather let Ayr go bust than accept a government 'handout'.

42 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

If clubs need the end of year payments to stay afloat then some funds should be released to them in the interim but the current approach just seems like bribery. 

‘Bribery’ by whom and for what purpose? There is literally no agenda for change included in this proposal: it is solely about tying up the loose ends of this campaign because football is simply not coming back before July.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yet here it says different.

What does that say that contradicts what I've posted? Lachlan is willing to pay the players until the end of May. Absolutely nothing about the government plan in that article - you know the government plan that I said he wouldn't take up.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So teams in all tiers have been paid money by the SPFL?

The League One thread is filled with people claiming the SPFL is purposely withholding all money until the clubs back this proposal.

Every club has received the money they would normally receive in April. They got it a couple of weeks early but would have had it by now anyway. There is no extra money paid anywhere yet, top flight or otherwise., as far as I know.

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It takes a 30 second scan of Lachlan Cameron's Twitter to realise he'd rather let Ayr go bust than accept a government 'handout'.

I have better things to do than read Lachlan Cameron's twitter. I dont use twitter.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

What does that say that contradicts what I've posted? Lachlan is willing to pay the players until the end of May. Absolutely nothing about the government plan in that article - you know the government plan that I said he wouldn't take up.

One of our directors states in that article that the Government plan will be a welcome help to us paying our staff.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

One of our directors states in that article that the Government plan will be a welcome help to us paying our staff.

Ah I see, and yet Lachlan Cameron, the one with overall control still hasn't decided to utilise it.

He's also starting to crack a wee bit:

SPFL have now announced that all football will be suspended until at least 10th June ( maybe longer depending on Lockdown ).

Why ask all the lower league teams to end their leagues now and put out this statement this afternoon ?

Why are they so keen to rush closing down the lower leagues and hiding behind the excuse of sponsorship payments ?

There is clearly a lot of behind the scene deals trying to be negotiated.

Lets release the funding now for the lower league clubs and the decisions made on the lower leagues should apply to all leagues .

SPFL have not done a good job on this.