The SPFL recommendation?

There were two 14 team leagues for a good few years. Teams just accepted that they played some teams once at home, others twice at home and vice versa for away games. 
I do agree though that’s it’s nowhere near ideal, in which case it should not be considered. 
That was how division 1 and 2 were when I started following the game but I don't remember why league reconstruction happened but I would think that would've been one of the reasons. The fact that we've never returned to that is telling.

34 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

It isn't difficult as I have said before. W e would end up back in lowest league with Annan, QP, Elgin and all the rest. That is relegation pure and simple.

Ok so would you rather be in the third tear and have a chance of winning it or be in the third tear with no chance of winning it but have Falkirk and Thistle bringing big away supports? Genuinely intrigued by this. 

3 hours ago, East Fife is best said:

Why say 5pm today to vote if they actually have 28 days it makes the vote pointless and surely the whole thing should be failed and binned

Company law requires 28 days for a 'postal' vote. The SPFL requested clubs to answer by 5pm today but they cannot over-ride Company Law.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Doesnt matter. You cant call it tell you have every vote in and counted. Ludicrous that they've given clubs 28 days to get back to them.

Yes you can. If you have enough positive votes you don't need to count the rest. And they didn't give the clubs 28 days, the Companies Act did.

3 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Ok so would you rather be in the third tear and have a chance of winning it or be in the third tear with no chance of winning it but have Falkirk and Thistle bringing big away supports? Genuinely intrigued by this. 

Of course we would. The increased crowds and atmosphere alone makes it a much better experience. Not to mention the standard of player you watch even one league up is remarkable.

After too many years in L2 take it from me Julio you would not want to be there. It is grim!

27 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Had anyone managed to work out how Dundee are claiming this proposal will lose clubs together in total £3-4m?

I've asked that a couple of times in the Championship. Nobody seems to have a clue where this mysterious figure appeared from. I'm presuming it's what they think is the lost gate receipts from cancelling the rest of this season's fixtures, in which case it's a ludicrous argument but you wouldn't know. It could mean anything.

33 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

We will also have contracts in place based on the high probability of a certain level of crowds. Financial ruin would follow a 14,14,14 split. 

Good job we have a lawyer on the Board

Always handy with the players you sign.

They deserve to be? They are 7th, 8th and 9th in the worst league I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching.
Falkirk are only 2nd in the worst league you've ever watched so why should they be promoted?
But you would still be one league below the Championship with a much better chance of being promoted the following season compared to being in a league containing Airdrie, Falkirk and Thistle etc.
Yes, we rather be in a league with Thistle, Falkirk and Airdrie rather than have to win promotion to play in a league with er Thistle, Falkirk and Airdrie.

We've just had 10 years of playing Annan, Elgin and Stirling etc. I'm sure they are as sick of playing us as we are of them.

5 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Really?  I will try one more time then. Our cost base is broadly aligned to being in a division which delivers average crowds of a certain level. Another season in a league with the clubs mentioned would be a big financial strain for us. We need time with the larger crowds to build a financial reserve. The club would prefer steady growth both financially and sportingly than looking for promotion after promotion quickly. 

We also did not spend the money required to finish in the top 6 as no one knew that was a requirement. We could have taken a risk and replaced Syvertsen and Rankin had we known that was necessary as an example. 

Putting all that aside and stepping back from having a laugh at Thistle in their predicament, it simple isn't a situation with any merit or integrity to change the rules and introduce a cut at 6th place after the games have been completed, nor relegate them when they have not been allowed to play the same number of games. 

If you can find any justification for it, then you find another club to take that slot.

Just now, Jack Burton said:

Falkirk are only 2nd in the worst league you've ever watched so why should they be promoted? Yes, we rather be in a league with Thistle, Falkirk and Airdrie rather than have to win promotion to play in a league with er Thistle, Falkirk and Airdrie.

We've just had 10 years of playing Annan, Elgin and Stirling etc. I'm sure they are as sick of playing us as we are of them.

Lets just have a 20 team championship and the problem is solved 

6 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Falkirk are only 2nd in the worst league you've ever watched so why should they be promoted?

Maybe we don’t deserve to be promoted. However as I stated, my preference would be for leagues to be reconstructed. If that happens to be 3 leagues of 14 then 2nd in this shit tip of a league is enough to see us into the second group of 14.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

It's fascinating how neatly sporting integrity and merit seems to fit around self-interest.

If by that you mean we are top on merit by having the best results in the 75+% of the season played and therefore the team most deserving of being crowned champions, then yes you're spot on.

EFFC on the other hand are 5th and the only way they'd have a shot at promotion would be if the Rovers, Falkirk, Airdrie and Montrose all went bust!

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

If by that you mean we are top on merit by having the best results in the 75+% of the season played and therefore the team most deserving of being crowned champions, then yes you're spot on.

EFFC on the other hand are 5th and the only way they'd have a shot at promotion would be if the Rovers, Falkirk, Airdrie and Montrose all went bust!

Nope, funnily enough that's not what I meant.

I wonder what the final head's gone count's going to be in Kirkcaldy by the end of the weekend.

So you were glad to be in league two this season with a chance to win it rather than the championship?

7 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Maybe we don’t deserve to be promoted. However as I stated, my preference would be for leagues to be reconstructed. If that happens to be 3 leagues of 14 then 2nd in this shit tip of a league is enough to see us into the second group of 14.

I'm all for reconstruction too but, leagues of 14 don't work for me, too few teams for a season where the  sides are meeting each other only twice and too many for 4 meetings, 3 was never an ideal scenario and I never enjoyed it. A top league of 16 with a 8/8 split after 30 games would be better.  That would solve TV contractual requirement, solve the Hearts debate, suit ICT, Ayr and Dundee's wants. It would allow the top four in L1 to move up too, The down side is that East Fife and the rest are losing out, sorry.   Doesn't also get rid of the hated 4 meetings in the other leagues but nothing will ever be perfect.