The SPFL vote vote

Who done it?  

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Why do you feel the need to defend McLennan? Why do you care about any of this? You're getting your 8.79 IAR.

And best of all Hearts, who have behaved despicably throughout are going down. That's the cherry on the cake.

10 hours ago, Danny said:

The union Is only making Its recommendations to Its members who are the only ones who can vote exactly the same as the SPFL board canvassing clubs the only people who can vote on their resolution

8 hours ago, Spring Onion said:

Yeah I don't understand your logic at all here, its neither here nor there whether you have to join or not to be employed, the fact is if you want a voice in the membership then you have to be a member, if your a member then you elect people to be on the committee or board if you like. They are voted in by the membership and are trusted to look after the members best interest.

Ok, I'll answer both your points in one if you don't mind. This is how I see it, someone like craigkille who clearly has a better understanding than I do on this sort of thing may correct me later.

The SPFL governs the league. Teams need to be members to play in the league. SPFL is also conducting the vote. A vote whose outcome directly affects the teams. For the SPFL then to influence any club via lobbying (and that it is the key term in this) seems like a huge conflict of interest. Should they be allowed to advise? Sure. Should they be allowed to say "we'd like the vote to pass/fail"? Again, yes. Lobbying however is a different thing. In a political sense it's often seen as a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours".

Whether the SPFL have bullied clubs? Who knows, probably not but have they used their weight as the governing body to influence? Probably. The issue is, even if it's above board (and I am making no claim either way) the use of the term lobbying opens it up to accusations and we all know that Rangers will take any bait possible to have a go.

As for the analogy of a union, it's simply not the same. The union may run a vote, they may influence or even lobby its members, but unions represent employees and no person is required to be part of a union to be an employee. FWIW I think unions do a good job, this is no dig at them.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Pretty much what @RandomGuy. posted below. He came onto CTO pretending to be an ICT fan and joined in with the chat and talked at length about the size of Liam Keogh's, erm, length and how he had been eyeing it up in a local pub.

Eventually he was rumbled as a Hearts supporting (?) journalist by IHE and he proceeded to have a complete meltdown talking about suing the website for revealing his details or something. After that he seemed to take a bit of pride in slagging ICT off when he got the chance perhaps as some kind of revenge act.

One piece he wrote slated our signing policy of English nobodies from down south despite the fact that days earlier Butcher had said the reason we signed these guys was because Scottish players were far too expensive. Didn't stop him having a wee go though.

He's a pathetic man child.

Ah yes, the policy that got us to being the 3rd best team in the country and won us the Scottish Cup. 

A complete no brainer for Butcher, signing better players than the journeymen up here with half the SPFL on their CV, and for half the wages. 

1 hour ago, The DA said:

I think you're reading too much into that wording.  Do you really expect him to say 'we didn't bribe Dundee but we can't speak for anyone else, like Celtic, doing so'?

I'd expect the SPFL board to actively try to persuade every club to vote in favour of the proposal.  It's their baby.  They think it's in the best interests of the majority of the clubs or they wouldn't be making it.  And they don't want to spending the clubs' time and money voting on a second or third proposal. 

It's not even clear to me that the Board of the SPFL needed to put this to the vote.  That clause from their Articles suggests it's within their powers to decide on anything not already covered by the rules.

Don’t have a problem with lobbying. But I’m sceptical about “best interests”. Indulge my wild speculation.... I would expect those involved in forming their “only” solution to be influenced, not necessarily by what’s right (or least wrong) for most clubs, but by :-

Doncaster - avoid any changes to Aug TV deal. What’s his personal bonus for that?

McLennan - Celtic 9IAR, kill null & void

McKenzie -    Ditto

McCluskey - ?

Brechin guy - Kill relegation from L2

Motherwell guy - unexpected 3rd. Call it

Hamilton guy - not bottom. Call it

Rangers guy - sporting integrity*

Ayr Utd  guy -  desperate for money. Believed the depends on vote yes story. Or just genuinely well intentioned decision.

These would be the people guiding the process and presumably lobbying. (Also see Dunfy and Alloa guys mentioned. If they were involved, would put them in same bracket as Ayr). 

They key driver is the Ch Exec, relying heavily on the lawyer back- up and all overseen by a wise old patrician chairman. Are the rest of the board any more than window dressing? Are the clubs anything more than mushrooms?  eg an independent inquiry that the board don’t want needs an EGM and a 75% vote. And the cost - oh the horror, the horror! But an inquiry from a chosen bean-counter, with terms of reference the board sets? No problemo. Done and dusted before we know it. Heyyy- and the right answer.

* Calm down. A wee joke.

3 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Don’t have a problem with lobbying. But I’m sceptical about “best interests”. Indulge my wild speculation.... I would expect those involved in forming their “only” solution to be influenced, not necessarily by what’s right (or least wrong) for most clubs, but by :-

Doncaster - avoid any changes to Aug TV deal. What’s his personal bonus for that?

McKenzie -    Ditto

McCluskey - ?

Ayr Utd  guy -  desperate for money. Believed the depends on vote yes story. Or just genuinely well intentioned decision.

These would be the people guiding the process and presumably lobbying. (Also see Dunfy and Alloa guys mentioned. If they were involved, would put them in same bracket as Ayr). 

They key driver is the Ch Exec, relying heavily on the lawyer back- up and all overseen by a wise old patrician chairman. Are the rest of the board any more than window dressing? Are the clubs anything more than mushrooms?  eg an independent inquiry that the board don’t want needs an EGM and a 75% vote. And the cost - oh the horror, the horror! But an inquiry from a chosen bean-counter, with terms of reference the board sets? No problemo. Done and dusted before we know it. Heyyy- and the right answer.

* Calm down. A wee joke.

The clubs voted the Board in.

McKenzie -    Ditto
McCluskey - ?

* Calm down. A wee joke.
"Wild speculation"

35 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

McKenzie -    Ditto

McCluskey - ?

* Calm down. A wee joke.

^^^ the lunatic ravings of an Oliver Stone film

21 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Have heard from more than one person that he’s Peter Lawwell’s lachie hence his re-election 

You'll be looking for the word lackie, and I'd also be interested to know just who these people were. Perhaps not the names, but the sorts of positions they hold as that would at least hint at the veracity of such claims.

As Kirsty MacColl once sang, "There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis". Doesn't mean he was though.

Edit: btw, I know nothing of Alan Burrows, I just enjoy following the strands of any rumour.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Best bit of this god awful thread by a mile.

Thanks. I've green dotted you not necessarily to cement the verbal circle jerk but because you highlighted a grammatical mistake.. :)

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

What is a 'lackie'?

Well this is interesting, I'd always seen it written as lackie, yet it seems the correct spelling is lackey Perhaps a Scots thing?
Seems like my overly smug correction from a few posts back is equally erroneous. :(

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

McKenzie -    Ditto

McCluskey - ?

* Calm down. A wee joke.

Wasting your time mate