League Reconstruction 20/21 season

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Maybe but on Sportsound two weeks ago they seemed quite adamant (two Chairmen were on - Elgin and Stenhousemuir). They seemed pissed off that the Premiership teams effectively ignored League 2 and their thoughts on the game. They had to suffer the consequences of what the big boys wanted with their concerns never addressed. Stenhousemuiir did not want reconstruction at all but if it happened that was the only option they would accept and they wanted more money drifting down to the lower Leagues. They certainly did not want two more teams added to make their small cut even smaller.

Or they just want to limit the chances of teams the likes of Kelty and Brora. 

I think we should shelve any restructuring until the pandemic had died down a bit.  We'll need to wait and see how many clubs are left before we start working out how big the leagues should be.

We might end up with a single division of 6 clubs, and that's assuming Aberdeen can settle their dispute with their insurers.

We're doomed.

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Maybe but on Sportsound two weeks ago they seemed quite adamant (two Chairmen were on - Elgin and Stenhousemuir). They seemed pissed off that the Premiership teams effectively ignored League 2 and their thoughts on the game. They had to suffer the consequences of what the big boys wanted with their concerns never addressed. Stenhousemuiir did not want reconstruction at all but if it happened that was the only option they would accept and they wanted more money drifting down to the lower Leagues. They certainly did not want two more teams added to make their small cut even smaller.

Yeah they rightly felt that they were being excluded from the discussion.

The united position means that at the very least if they want to try something different from 14-14-14 then they need consulted and they will need to agree, hence they have some leverage. I'd be surprised if they were black and white, 14-14-14 or nothing.

17 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

They can pretend that's what it about all they want, but their primary concern is trying to limit their chances of relegation as much as possible. The money is a red herring - it would cost the SPFL about £85-90k to add two new teams, and it's unlikely that would be funded by reducing the League 2 sides' cut.

I'm in favour of the league remaining as it is anyway so hope reconstruction does fail, but League Two clubs really aren't in a position to complain about the self-interest of others. Their entire plan here is to promote themselves a tier while resisting any efforts to introduce reasonable promotion and relegation between the SPFL & HL/LL in the long term, while brazenly shutting out two clubs next season because they think those clubs will be better than them.

Just to get away from the numbers of teams for a minute, if we do reconstruct, and by f**k I hope we don't, then can we do the opposite of what Doncaster did last time, and start calling the leagues Division 1, Division 2 etc so that we're NOTHING LIKE England! 

If i wasn't for these blue and green shackles that bind Scottish football we could easily have the 16 team league that everyone wants.

How's this for a set-up:

1537266465_Screenshot2020-05-06at10_55_25.thumb.png.37e79942b782320a25ae4297736cc23b.png

Presuming we get the extra European spot and based on a scenario if a team already in Europe wins the Scottish cup (I'm sure someone will correct me if I've fucked this up). I propose the final Europa Conference League spot is decided with an end of season play-off between 5th - 8th to keep the league interesting and ensuring more teams have something to play for as the season goes on. Everyone plays each other home and away once, then at the end of the season there are play-offs to decide Europe and a two legged play-off final for the team in 14th.

Any other lost games from the playing home/away once set-up can be made up in the League Cup, maybe with mini leagues or something.

13 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

A team finishing 4th in Champ, L1 or L2.shouldn't be able to be promoted either. If you're looking for fairness then that ship sailed years ago.

This doesn’t add to the current debate but 4th being in the play offs is fair at the start of the competition, everyone knows what their targets are, it is only as it ends that it appears unfair as one team has usually done significantly better than the others.

5 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

The mooted 14-20-10 set-up has to be the worst idea ever. Lachlan Cameron's idea IMO.

There's a couple of posters on here and the other divisional forums from America, like Cameron. They make uniformly bat shite mental proposals with no basis in reality.

48 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

Just to get away from the numbers of teams for a minute, if we do reconstruct, and by f**k I hope we don't, then can we do the opposite of what Doncaster did last time, and start calling the leagues Division 1, Division 2 etc so that we're NOTHING LIKE England! 

I'd be all for a renaming of the leagues.

No doubt if we did that folk would start calling them by their current names and not the new ones!

They should 100% rename the top league the SPL. It's clearly a name that has stuck since it was replace and works fine. 

The 2nd tier should be the "Morten be found here" league.

3rd the "Seaside League"

Anything below that should just have the sound of a "chortle" as it's name. 

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

If it wasn't for the pandemic and Hearts finishing bottom there wouldn't be any reconstruction. Keep as is.

FTFY

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

If i wasn't for these blue and green shackles that bind Scottish football we could easily have the 16 team league that everyone wants.

How's this for a set-up:

1537266465_Screenshot2020-05-06at10_55_25.thumb.png.37e79942b782320a25ae4297736cc23b.png

Presuming we get the extra European spot and based on a scenario if a team already in Europe wins the Scottish cup (I'm sure someone will correct me if I've fucked this up). I propose the final Europa Conference League spot is decided with an end of season play-off between 5th - 8th to keep the league interesting and ensuring more teams have something to play for as the season goes on. Everyone plays each other home and away once, then at the end of the season there are play-offs to decide Europe and a two legged play-off final for the team in 14th.

Any other lost games from the playing home/away once set-up can be made up in the League Cup, maybe with mini leagues or something.

^^^^ Desperate for a bigger league now Tommy’s left.

Literally never heard of it until I'd seen this. Looks like it's set up to be a safety net for any big fishes that fail to quality from the Champions League or Europa League qualifiers. 

On the other hand, decent way to get into Europe for more sides from diddy countries like ours.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

How's this for a set-up:

More pointless league cup games for a shan tournament than we already have?

Literally never heard of it until I'd seen this. Looks like it's set up to be a safety net for any big fishes that fail to quality from the Champions League or Europa League qualifiers. 
On the other hand, decent way to get into Europe for more sides from diddy countries like ours.

Pretty much. I don’t know the ins and outs of it, just aware that it is a thing. And I think I’m correct in saying we will be getting 5 European spots in the seasons to come.

A 4 team play-off for this final conference spot would be entertaining and worthy of television coverage. It would also throw up the possibility some last day drama - for example a team vying for a European play-off spot could end the day finishing in the relegation play-off spot. And as I’ve said before, with no more
league split, you could have a team going for the title on the last day up against a team attempting to avoid relegation.

More pointless league cup games for a shan tournament than we already have?

How are the games pointless? I disagree, I don’t think it’s a “shan” tournament - I like the league cup.

You could easily have group stages of 6 teams per group playing each other with the top 3 progressing to the knockouts or something similar.