League Reconstruction 20/21 season

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

How are the games pointless? I disagree, I don’t think it’s a “shan” tournament - I like the league cup.

You could easily have group stages of 6 teams per group playing each other with the top 3 progressing to the knockouts or something similar.

Obviously people don't agree with you. See relative crowds for league cup v league matches.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

You're actually incentivising sides to do worse if you award a playoff spot to someone in the bottom half of the split but not to everyone in the top half.

Utter bollocks - who is going to look at the league table after 22 games played and decide 'right lads, we definitely couldn't finish anywhere above bottom if we were to get into the top half of the split, so let's play shite for the next month because we'll definitely finish top of the bottom half instead? With up to 40% of the season still to be played in post split matches, that's not an even remotely credible plan for a football club to adopt. The chances are equally high that you'd finish, say, 5th in the league and get a play-off, or 10th in the league and get f**k all. Meanwhile the financial incentive of increased prize money still operates, while the other financial reward of having bigger games against larger clubs and supports are tilted even more towards finishing in the top half of the table than they are under the current split.

If we were setting up this play-off under the current split system then you would have a point about clubs being incentivised to do worse but we're not and so you don't. 

Finishing 8th in a league should not grant you a reward that a club finishing 6th is denied.

Except that they're not actually getting a 'reward' for finishing 8th: all they're getting is a run-off tie to enter a play-off system that determines who gets the reward in the end. A glorified raffle ticket then, rather than the fast track to Europe/promotion that its detractors wrongly imagine.

If you finish bottom of all the teams in the top half having played them all home and away four times a season then you deserve no ticket to the play-offs at all because it has already been demonstrated that you aren't good enough. They can take their extra prize money and gate revenue and get over it.

26 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

More pointless league cup games for a shan tournament than we already have?

You could have five League Cup weekend rounds rather than the three we've got now, as well as binning scheduled midweek rounds: the top flight had about ten of those either side of the winter break this season. 

Those are ways in which the feared loss of revenue from having fewer league fixtures would be mitigated (and you can bet that the ST price won't drop anyway).

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

If i wasn't for these blue and green shackles that bind Scottish football we could easily have the 16 team league that everyone wants.

How's this for a set-up:

1537266465_Screenshot2020-05-06at10_55_25.thumb.png.37e79942b782320a25ae4297736cc23b.png

Presuming we get the extra European spot and based on a scenario if a team already in Europe wins the Scottish cup (I'm sure someone will correct me if I've fucked this up). I propose the final Europa Conference League spot is decided with an end of season play-off between 5th - 8th to keep the league interesting and ensuring more teams have something to play for as the season goes on. Everyone plays each other home and away once, then at the end of the season there are play-offs to decide Europe and a two legged play-off final for the team in 14th.

Any other lost games from the playing home/away once set-up can be made up in the League Cup, maybe with mini leagues or something.

The play-offs currently start before the Scottish Cup final. How would you make this work if you have to start them before you know which teams can enter and which places are up for grabs?

The play-offs currently start before the Scottish Cup final. How would you make this work if you have to start them before you know which teams can enter and which places are up for grabs?

Good point. Let me think about that, my brain is frazzled just now!

There's a couple of posters on here and the other divisional forums from America, like Cameron. They make uniformly bat shite mental proposals with no basis in reality.
We could learn alot from American Sports.

Our current boring shambles of a league where only 2 teams can win is nothing to be proud of.

45 minutes ago, ftk said:

We could learn a lot from American Sports.

Our current boring shambles of a league where only 2 teams can win is nothing to be proud of.

I agree with you but as you have just witnessed we have many fans in Scotland that love the old firm domination.

What amazes me is that quite a lot of non old firm fans won't even consider some changes that may make the league competitive.

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I agree with you but as you have just witnessed we have many fans in Scotland that love the old firm domination.

What amazes me is that quite a lot of non old firm fans won't even consider some changes that may make the league competitive.

Is there any changes that would make a difference to the cheeks dominance? Not even two teams anymore, Celtics dominance..  they have buckets of cash no one else has.. 

Edited by Bohemian

1 hour ago, ftk said:

We could learn alot from American Sports.

You could have a top league of 20 and it would still be the 2 arse cheeks who won everything.

Basic economics

1 minute ago, santheman said:

You could have a top league of 20 and it would still be the 2 arse cheeks who won everything.

Basic economics

That's probably true, but I'd love to move to a league system where we play each team once at home and once away. 

There can be play offs or whatever at the end for Euro slots or relegation but once at home once away please. 

If that can't be delivered i don't see any point of changing what we currently have. I've yet to hear why 14 is better than 12?

30 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Is there any changes that would make a difference to the cheeks dominance? Not even two teams anymore, Celtics dominance..  they have buckets of cash no one else has.. 

The American structures are set up to prevent domination. They have wage caps, trades rather than transfer fees and the draft system etc.. I wouldn't advocate all of it but there are definitely things that can be learned from them and other sports. Some wouldn't work in football but some would.

21 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

but I'd love to move to a league system where we play each team once at home and once away.

For that, it has to be 16 or 18 then IMO. a 30 or 34 game league season. Plenty time for a break or cup games, replays or whatever. Oh and no split. f**k the split :lol: 

FWIW I agree with you. Not that that makes any difference. We're pretty much stuck as we are and the majority here seem to have been hoodwinked with the 'must be a split to keep it exciting' mantra. 

Anyhoo, this is not the time to reconstruct I don't think.

We'll be lucky if they can just come up with a way to either continue/finish/come up with a solution for end of season or start of next season. Whenever that'll be. 

I know I'm posting here which by forum rules must mean it's taking over my life but I've lost interest. They can do what they like.

In a couple of years time, celtic will be top of the league and likely on for another 'glorious' domestic treble, we'll all just be toeing along giving it "mind that time that the rangers came up with dossier and it turned out to be f**k all???" 

:) 

The time for walking football has come.

Social distancing could be maintained, pro teams would be limited to two touches, amateurs and codgers could get 3.  Each player would have to move the ball on within 3 seconds, either a pass or a shot.

This might be the only football we get on the TV this year.

Any improvements?

Edited by ropy

50 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

You could make an, admittedly marginal, difference by reducing the number of games. 

It's possible for a less well resourced club to get a good squad together, hit a vein of form and ride their luck to outperform richer opponents.

We've often had "outsider" clubs near the top at Christmas but over a long season when injuries and loss of form kick in the law of large numbers dictates that the outcome will become more predictable.

When Dundee United won the league by a single point back in 1983 they only used 16 players in a 36 game season. It was remarkable then but it would have been unthinkable 5 years later when the season ran to 44 games.