Anyone else giving serious thought to calling it a day?

I only started going to games again this season for the first time in probably about a decade.

Also bought a season ticket. That turned out well!

I'm finding the 10 team structure incredibly tedious tbh, and certainly not interested in watching glasgow reserve teams. But will wait and see how things pan out before looking forward.

14 hours ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

Is anyone else feeling the same way, or do I just need a kick up the erse?

Right now is a time that takes us away from the wonderful distraction that football can be, but, in time, it will return.

As for the feeling of wanting to just toss it, that’s part and parcel of being a fan. Clubs fortunes rise and fall, some more so than others(looking at you money hoarding Celtic types), and that is exactly the great thing about it. You are there for the highs and the lows, you are with the team as it turns around and points the arrow up, and you are along as the decline sets in.

A fan is, as it suggests, a fanatic...a person who feels their club as a visceral part of their experience. The lows are, on the whole, usually offset by the highs, although with some sides, it’s a little more dicey. Toss it, nah...perspective is the key, understand that this is a thing you enjoy, that also frustrates the living hell out of you.

The money spent on football is also (in almost all cases) money spent locally, on local businesses and people. Supporting a club is supporting your town, your area, and/or your hometown. It’s you and other people, together, creating and supporting something that belongs to all of you...even when the team is managed by some absolute wankers!

I say, step back, try to relax as much as you can with all the terrible news and worries, and know that football will return. It will be changed, but there still will be that local connection that you will be able to connect with and that will draw you back in. Is it Champions League competition, hell no...but it is competition, and YOUR team versus some other team. In most cases, a team with supporters you can enjoy a pint with before and after the games (excepting the OF).

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Right now is a time that takes us away from the wonderful distraction that football can be, but, in time, it will return.

As for the feeling of wanting to just toss it, that’s part and parcel of being a fan. Clubs fortunes rise and fall, some more so than others(looking at you money hoarding Celtic types), and that is exactly the great thing about it. You are there for the highs and the lows, you are with the team as it turns around and points the arrow up, and you are along as the decline sets in.

A fan is, as it suggests, a fanatic...a person who feels their club as a visceral part of their experience. The lows are, on the whole, usually offset by the highs, although with some sides, it’s a little more dicey. Toss it, nah...perspective is the key, understand that this is a thing you enjoy, that also frustrates the living hell out of you.

The money spent on football is also (in almost all cases) money spent locally, on local businesses and people. Supporting a club is supporting your town, your area, and/or your hometown. It’s you and other people, together, creating and supporting something that belongs to all of you...even when the team is managed by some absolute wankers!

I say, step back, try to relax as much as you can with all the terrible news and worries, and know that football will return. It will be changed, but there still will be that local connection that you will be able to connect with and that will draw you back in. Is it Champions League competition, hell no...but it is competition, and YOUR team versus some other team. In most cases, a team with supporters you can enjoy a pint with before and after the games (excepting the OF).

Do you live abroad?

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you live abroad?

Indeed, as I have always made clear. The similarities of Scottish football and some of the lower levels of sports in the U.S. are striking, and result in many of the same sorts of realities. The closest thing to football would be the multiple levels of College football in the U.S. At the top levels (EPL and EChamp) you have the money and the arrogant fans. Once you drop down a couple of level you find the people playing for their love of the game rather than a scholarship and a future professional career. The crowds are small, but can be even more passionate, without the hatred for the teams they are playing.

So, please tell me how I’m wrong, sarge.

7 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

To be honest that shows everything that’s wrong with the game these days, for all their faults the bigot brothers have huge fan bases that rival any team in world football but it makes zero difference as TV money is all that matters these days and Celtic will struggle to match wages by English Championship teams.

This is one thing that will change when this is all done

From the top to the bottom there is bound to be a wage readjustment . This should mean better players being interested in playing in Scotland

The Falkirk decline can shows what a bad management appointment can do . Steven Pressley and his utter arrogance in the season you went down was where it went wrong. 

30 years ago we were grubbing about in the lower league and within 3 years we were back in the Premiership. The Falkirk support levels are superb. The original poster will be back as will his team in time.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Indeed, as I have always made clear. The similarities of Scottish football and some of the lower levels of sports in the U.S. are striking, and result in many of the same sorts of realities. The closest thing to football would be the multiple levels of College football in the U.S. At the top levels (EPL and EChamp) you have the money and the arrogant fans. Once you drop down a couple of level you find the people playing for their love of the game rather than a scholarship and a future professional career. The crowds are small, but can be even more passionate, without the hatred for the teams they are playing.

So, please tell me how I’m wrong, sarge.

I just thought you over did it with the wise words to supporters actually here and living in the prevailing environment. I understand people have different issues and priorities but actively supporting a team is a choice for the most part. 

Some who "support" live abroad or stop/reduce attendance for a variety of reasons but the bottom line is, if you don't go it doesn't matter as much to you as it does to people who do.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I just thought you over did it with the wise words to supporters actually here and living in the prevailing environment. I understand people have different issues and priorities but actively supporting a team is a choice for the most part. 

Some who "support" live abroad or stop/reduce attendance for a variety of reasons but the bottom line is, if you don't go it doesn't matter as much to you as it does to people who do.

100% agree. The sad reality is a number of supporters of clubs are in a position that doesn’t allow them to attend, however the increase in streaming video option has allowed me to get back into Raith, something that reading the scores in the papers didn't allow. Having been a dedicated fan of a top level NCAA (American) football team since the 70’s has given me a perspective on the highs and lows that some lack. The years in the wilderness were difficult, but become worth it when the return occurs. Watching your team get slaughtered in a game versus a team that was paid top dollar to visit as a sacrificial lamb is humbling, and we talked plenty of shit about stopping supporting the team, but the reality is that it’s in your blood...it’s not that easy.

There were mitigating circumstances there; Kilmarnock struggling to take to a new manager who many of a previously successful dressing room already disliked; couple that with obvious complacency, and you create the perfect circumstances to lose to a team of 100% lung-power battlers like the Nomads.
Bigger teams get shocked occasionally, not sure you can draw too many broader lessons from it though.

Don’t disagree. The Scotland is 6th most successful nation in European competitions this season narrative though, while absolutely correct, really translates to two clubs and unfortunately it’s the ugly sisters. I don’t think we can use that as a narrative for saying the standard of Scottish football is good.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

. The crowds are small, but can be even more passionate, without the hatred for the teams they are playing.

The hatred of other teams is where Scottish football strives. It’s great sharing a pint with opposition fans.   But the mindless shouting abuse at each other and whoever happens to be the panto villains that week during the game is what keeps us going. 

To be honest, I occasionally think ‘what am I doing here’ while I’m sitting watching football at Starks. I probably should do something more productive with my spare time. Still, I’d miss the Rovers if they weren’t there anymore, so I’ll need to keep going. Then there’s those (very) occasional brilliant moments. I’d miss those.

In 1995 I had giving up forced on me as a Meadowbank fan. I wasn't going to watch a new town franchise led by a git whose attitude was "f*ck the fans". By the time August came around I was twiddling my thumbs on a Saturday afternoon and found out a mate was watching Edinburgh City. 

It was weird those first few months- City played on a public park covered in dug shite with a rope around the pitch. It made Cliftonhill look like the San Siro.  It's been an interesting journey since then..

Sometimes I get fed up with City and watch the occasional non Scottish League game- there's actually some good footballing sides out there compared to the old East of Scotland/Juniors of decades ago (one of the more enjoyable games I was at last season was actually Kirrie Thistle v Largs). But you always get dragged back on a Saturday for a pint with your mates, abuse of the ref and a pie and a bovril. The only thing I'd say is that playing teams four times a season is a bit dull, in the Lowland League you only played each other twice.

To all the decent fans of every club, I sincerely wish you all the best for the future.
I'm out.
How can you give up like that haha.

Your in a league spouting about how bad it is to teams and fans who haven't seen their team in the second tier never mind the 1st tier.

I can barely remember when east fife were in the second tier in 96ish as was 6 years old and we had a local known paedo at the club so wasnt allowed to go till he was away.

Bad times is what followed then for us. Coming near the bottom of the lowest tier available to our clubs at that time.

Look at Montrose they were last many times then all of a sudden things hit and they are near the top of third tier in consecutive seasons.

Only thing for it is to give your support to your club and try and help be on the journey to get them back up.

Don't throw it away cause it's a bit of a shit season after a woeful season...